PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone find anything more on these people?

Merry
14-10-10, 14:00
BK6 updated from this thread

I need to try and work out who Elizabeth Maynard is - If I could work out when she was likely to have been born/died that would be a start.

Maynard is the surname of one of my great-grandfathers and they have been tricky to find once I get back to the 1700s.

Marriage at St George Bloomsbury 3rd Feb 1802 by licence

Humphrey Hall, widower to Elizabeth Maynard, spinster (both OTP but that could be a white lie)
witness: Robt McCrery (my 1st cousin 4xremoved who lived in the parish)
witness: S Moule (my 4xg-aunt Sarah Moule who probably travelled 40 miles to the wedding from Orwell, Cambs!)

Robert McCrery and Sarah Moule witnessed the marriage of my 3xgreat-grandparents in the same church 18 months later. My ancestors had travelled from Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire for their marriage though they both said OTP.

Marriage at St George Bloomsbury 24th Aug 1818 by banns

Richard Newcomb to Elizabeth Hall (no conditions mentioned) both OTP
witness: John Harrison (a serial witness)
witness: S Moule (as before)

Margaret in Burton
14-10-10, 15:03
*Talk about teaching your grandmother to suck eggs*

If you can't find it how are the rest of us supposed to? :D:eek::p

I suppose she had died by the time of any census?

Anstey Nomad
14-10-10, 15:08
Another co-incidence Marg - daughter number 2's boyfriend comes from Whittlesford.

My daughter calls it the village of the damned for some reason.

AN

kiterunner
14-10-10, 16:43
TNA Documents Online has the will of Humphrey Hall, Carcass Butcher of Edmonton, Middlesex, proved 25 May 1811. If you have some credits on FMP you can look at the Index to Death Duty Registers entry to see if it tells you who his executor was before spending £5 on what might be a wild goose chase!

kiterunner
14-10-10, 16:48
Oh, on his burial that Humphrey Hall was 68 so probably not the right one.

Edit - or I suppose he could be; I forgot he was a widower when he married Elizabeth!

The burial says Gentleman, of Winchmore Hill.
I've got some Carcass Butchers in my tree who call themselves Gentlemen.

Merry
14-10-10, 17:22
I suppose being a carcass butcher doesn't sound very attractive, so a good reason to say you are a gentleman!! lol

Marg, stop discouraging people from helping!! :rolleyes::p

I looked at the FMP death duty entry Kate, but it just has his name and address and J11 or S11 at the end, whatever that means.

Merry
14-10-10, 17:22
Another co-incidence Marg - daughter number 2's boyfriend comes from Whittlesford.

My daughter calls it the village of the damned for some reason.

AN

*glares at AN and her daughter*

Uncle John
14-10-10, 23:07
A carcass butcher is presumably like the man in All Creatures Great and Small who collected dead cows and horses and boiled them down for cat's meat and glue.

Merry
15-10-10, 05:54
The knacker man? (you can see I'm well read!)

Oh, he can't be mine then, as my lot were much more refined!! lol

kiterunner
15-10-10, 07:19
No, he was nothing like that, UJ, my carcass butchers were definitely at the posh end.

Merry
15-10-10, 08:00
Oh, well in that case................

HarrysMum
15-10-10, 08:19
Was Moule Sarah's married name????

Don't suppose she was a Beldam??

Merry
15-10-10, 08:27
lol No, she was a spinster (1766-1841) who seems to have been always the bridesmaid, never the bride. I think I have her as witness to at least four marriages in London, though she was born and died in Cambridgeshire. I'm wondering if she lived in London in between?

HarrysMum
15-10-10, 08:43
OK...I found some Moule children in London. Parents wre John and Sarah Moule (nee Beldam)

Maybe Sarah's brother????

HarrysMum
15-10-10, 08:47
There's a non-con baptism for an Elizabeth Maynard 1801. Abode......Christchurch, Surrey.

Could be adult as there is no birth date given.

Merry
15-10-10, 09:16
Sarah didn't have a brother called John as far as I'm aware, but I've not followed their family sideways, backwards and forwards, because it's too difficult! lol

The trouble is, I tend to say this Maynard family were non-cons, but I've hardly found any non-con entries at all for them, just I've not found any C of E entries! However, I don't know if maybe they were not born where they thought they were?

*goes for a lie down* - Actually I really am, as I have a Pilates class shortly! lol

Merry
19-10-10, 09:37
Sorry this is long..................

I have the second edition of the NBI. There is one burial for a Humphrey Hall listed between 1802 and 1818 (I would be really grateful if anyone with edition 3 could check there are no more in this date range :)):

2 Feb 1814 Humphry HALL 47 Beds Eaton Socon, St Mary

Eaton Socon is about ten miles from the Maynards patch at Kempston (where they were supposed to be in the 1740s for some of them several decades after)

If this burial is for the widower Elizabeth Maynard married in 1802, then there is also a possible first marriage for him on the IGI:

HUMPHREY HALL
Marriages:
Spouse: ELIZABETH EMERY
Marriage: 11 MAY 1790 Eaton Socon, Bedford, England
Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

and some children for him and the first Elizabeth:

WILLIAM HALL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 20 MAY 1791 Eaton Socon, Bedford, England

JN. HALL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 23 JUN 1794 Roxton, Bedford, England

HUMPH. PEARCE HALL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 25 FEB 1798 Roxton, Bedford, England

Roxton is 5 miles from Eaton Socon.

It would be tempting for one of these to be the burial of the first Mrs Hall:

9 Nov 1799 Elizabeth HALL Beds Eaton Socon, St Mary
25 Dec 1799 Elizabeth HALL Beds Eaton Socon, St Mary

It's possible the first burial date is Mrs Hall and the second date is another child for Humphrey and Elizabeth as there is also this baptism, below, where the mother doesn't get a mention, but the IGI transcriber has attached the second burial to the same entry:

ELIZABETH HALL
Christening: 09 NOV 1799 Eaton Socon, Bedford, England (ie baptised on the day her mother was buried)
Death: 25 DEC 1799 (should this be the burial date?)
Burial:
Parents:
Father: HUMPHREY HALL
Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

There are potential burials for all of those male Hall children within months of birth, though because it's the 1790s there are no ages recorded and of course Hall is a common name. I don't see any children for Humphrey and his second wife.

Next there is a burial for a Richard Newcomb in the same parish:

5 Apr 1827 Richard NEWCOME 40 Beds Eaton Socon, St Mary

and there is an Elizabeth Newcomb as well,

1 Apr 1824 Elizabeth NEWCOMBE 52 Beds Eaton Socon, St Mary

but if the ages are right then Elizabeth married widower Humphrey Hall when he was about 35 and she was about 30 which is fine, but quite old for a first marriage for a woman. Then she would have been about 46 when she married Richard Newcomb, but he would have only been about 31. This seems especially dodgy when it's noted there is a burial for a Sarah Newcomb in Eaton Socon aged 66 in 1853 which is a much better bet for being the widow of Richard! I suppose he could have married Sarah after the death of Elizabeth? *frets*

I can't yet find a marriage for Richard and Sarah but she was from Huntingdonshire and if they married there then I need to look at some fiche I have hidden somewhere but I only have some bits of the alphabet and I bet I don't have the Ns :(

*goes to check*

Merry
19-10-10, 09:40
*goes to check*

*tuts*

I only have Cs, Ds and Es for the right date range. :(

ElizabethHerts
19-10-10, 09:47
Merry -
re. Humphrey Hall

I have NBI 3

27 May 1798 St Mary Magdalene Roxton Bedfordshire
2 Feb 1814 Eaton Socon St Mary aged 47

There is a later one in 1829
29 Jan 1829 aged 36 St Andrew Holborn

Merry
19-10-10, 10:10
Thanks very much indeed, Elizabeth.

The first one in Roxton is the burial applied by the IGI transcriber to Humphrey Hall's child, Humphrey Pearce Hall, so it's very interesting that there is no middle name recorded to ensure they are actually the same person.

I can't help thinking of those milk adverts from the '70s - "Watch out, watch out - there's a Humphrey about!" lol

Merry
19-10-10, 11:01
Oooh blimey...........

Sarah Newcomb (widow) is on the 1841 and 1851 censuses in Eaton Socon before her death in 1853 aged 66. In 1851 she says she was b in Yelling, Huntingdonshire.

I wondered if she was the widow of Richard Newcomb who may or may not have previously been the husband of my Elizabeth Maynard/Hall.

Tried IGI for the marriage and didn't find anything. Then I wondered if he might have married in London (esp if he was the same man who married Eliz Maynard/Hall in London).

Found a marriage in St Mary's Islington for a Richard Newcomb, widower, to Sarah Lenton, spinster, (both OTP!) on 19th July 1824, a whole three and a bit months after the burial of Elizabeth Newcomb!! The witnesses are Richard Newcomb senr and Alice Newcomb. The signature of Richard Newcomb in 1818 and in 1824 are very similar, though don't have any outstanding features.

It could be the right man though, as there is this baptism on the IGI:

SARAH LENTON
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 1786 Yelling, Huntingdon, England
Parents:
Father: JAMES LENTON
Mother: SARAH
Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

which seems pretty spot on to me! And the final nail in the erm....coffin (!) is that in 1851 Sarah Newcomb has her widowed sister living with her. Her name is Susannah b 1800 and, yes, there is a bap for a Susannah Lenton in Yelling, same parents, in April 1800.

Absolutely none of which tells me who Elizabeth Maynard's father is!!! lol

ElizabethHerts
19-10-10, 11:15
Oooh blimey...........

Absolutely none of which tells me who Elizabeth Maynard's father is!!! lol

:d Don't you often find that you solve another (new) mystery whilst trying to solve an existing one!

Merry
19-10-10, 11:34
All the time, Elizabeth!