PDA

View Full Version : Women and Property

Phoenix
12-10-10, 12:24
In 1910, if you were a single woman or a widow, could you hold property ie buildings absolutely?

And could you take out a mortgage on them?

I have examples of women owning property but there being "superior interests"

Would this be trustees, rather than building societies?

Chris in Sussex
12-10-10, 13:25
By 1910 women, single, married, widowed or divorced could own property. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Married_Women's_Property_Act_1882 was a huge leap forward for the rights of married women.

As for 'superior interests' this would, today, relate to a charge registered against the property....So a Bank, Building Society, Loan Company or where someone as an individual has loaned monies. It could also mean that someone, in some way, has an interest in the property. Maybe by being left a share in the property under the terms of a will.

If it was a property held under the terms of a Trust then wouldn't the Trust be the named owner?....Not sure on that point....Is there a Lawyer in the house?:)

Chris

Phoenix
12-10-10, 13:42
Thanks, Chris.

It sounds as if you could take out a mortgage, but might have to find a male relation to stand surety - there's an article on the webb by Jenni Murray who said in 1976, the bank manager was asking for her father's signature when she wanted to buy some property:eek::mad:

Chris in Sussex
12-10-10, 13:46
Same happened to my sister when she was 18 in 1978!

Thank heavens things have changed!

Margaret in Burton
12-10-10, 13:48
Thanks, Chris.

It sounds as if you could take out a mortgage, but might have to find a male relation to stand surety - there's an article on the webb by Jenni Murray who said in 1976, the bank manager was asking for her father's signature when she wanted to buy some property:eek::mad:

Not property, but in 1983 when my sister tried to take out an HP agreement they wanted her husbands signature as well. She was recently divorced so couldn't oblige, so didn't get the HP.

Kit
13-10-10, 08:55
I know a lady who divorced 10 years ago and the power company wouldn't put the bill into her name without the husband's permission.

In the end she put the bill in his mailbox with a note saying the bill is in your name so you pay it. Funnily enough the next bill had her name on it.

Bella
13-10-10, 15:19
I took out a mortgage in my own name in 1977 when I was a widow but was refused HP from one shop when I wanted to buy a carpet. I then tried a well known department store who accepted me quite readily and set up a monthly Direct Debit. It was exactly the same carpet and cheaper so the first shop did me a favour by refusing.

Phoenix
13-10-10, 15:32
So... a female funding a mortgage a century ago would be next to impossible, right?

Olde Crone
13-10-10, 16:12
Phoenix

If you own property and THEN take out a loan against it, then that isn't really a mortgage in the sense we are talking about here.

I think in 1910 a bank manager might have been persuaded to lend money to a WOMAN, against the deeds of property she already owned. He most certainly and absolutely would not have lent her money to buy a house in her own name, with only her solemn promise to pay back the loan out of her wages!

OC

anne fraser
13-10-10, 16:14
I know my mother could not get a mortgage in her own name in 1947 despite having a reliable job as a teacher. My father was disabled so she was the main bread winner. In the end she borrowed money from relatives.

I have just received the wills of my great grandparents. My greatgrandfather left an estate valued at about £10,000 to his wife and a few years later she was able to pass on the estate which included several houses to her children including a large house to her three daughters.