PDA

View Full Version : 1851 Census

tenterfieldjulie
11-10-10, 06:03
Can someone find Samuel Sloman in 1851 Census for me please. He was buried at Milverton Somerset in 1854 aged 56 and it says x Wellington. Would that mean that he was living at Wellington or born Wellington? Kite found a Samuel Sloman living with his brother James at Milverton in 1841 Census but not born in Somerset (in Devon next door). I'm trying to establish if they are the same man. There were a few Samuel Slomans. Thanks Julie

Merry
11-10-10, 08:16
If Wellington was mentioned on the burial record, then that would usually be his last known place of residence.

Can't find him yet! lol

HarrysMum
11-10-10, 08:22
Julie....

I'm beginning to dislike these Slomans as much as the Ariels.......lol

What was Samuel's occupation?

Can't find any with the right age in 1851 although, as you said, there's a few Samuel Slomans.

Merry
11-10-10, 08:30
In 1841 he is with brother James (60) and Ann Sloman aged 11. Samuel doesn't have an occ on that census; James is an Ag Lab.

HarrysMum
11-10-10, 08:50
I've looked in three places for Samuel Slo* and nuffin............

Merry
11-10-10, 10:34
Sl often gets transcribed as H!

tenterfieldjulie
12-10-10, 07:57
Thanks for trying ladies. As far as I know they were all ag labs in Somerset Lib. The story is that John was taught to write by his wife Sarah on the ship coming out to Aus in 1848, so I would think that they had limited education. I don't feel so stupid that I can't find Samuel if you ladies can't.
When I find out what is happening with my sister in law and get Drs. check up out of the way next week - I will join Ancestry and contact Devon FHS with request & payment for Tiverton research.
I'm really thrilled with what has been found in the last month as it had been at a standstill for 20 years. :):):) Cheers Julie

HarrysMum
12-10-10, 08:13
I'll check Homan..........

Julie...did I miss a meeting today again????? Had 3 appointments between 10 and 3.30, and only thought about FH when I put dinner on.....lol

HarrysMum
12-10-10, 08:15
Julie.................remind me where Sam was born????

HarrysMum
12-10-10, 08:24
Only one anywhere near it I can find is Samuel Slocombe. Image is Slocombe, but if he didn't write it, who knows????????

I'll see if I can find Mr Slocombe in any other census.

******having visions of Are You Being Served*******

Merry
12-10-10, 08:28
Is that the one who was living in something that looked like 'the employment office' which sounded unlikely for an ag lab!

HarrysMum
12-10-10, 09:29
Mr Slocombe is still around in 1861 so scrap him.

tenterfieldjulie
12-10-10, 09:57
Born in Tiverton!! All the elusive ones are ;(;(:o
Don't think it is Slocombe Lib, as I have found lots of them in Milverton etc
Maybe we need Mrs. S. to sort my lot out :d:d
Doesn't the weather give you the pips - thought it was meant to be sunny.
Don't fancy driving to Armidale in the rain tomorrow especially as I'm meeting my financial advisor. He might say no more OS holidays!!:p:p
Julie

tenterfieldjulie
12-10-10, 10:13
Merry,
Libby has confused me - not that is hard to do. You mentioned something about unemployment office!!
Lib - yes I missed the meeting too. The Visitor Centre gave some people from WA my name for FHG research. You won't belive it they are my relies and are connected through both Mum's side, the Slomans and Dad's side, the Smiths and Wares. Consequently we had a four hour visit and they have extended their stay for another two days. The Sloman connection goes back to John Sloman's sister Elizabeth who married William May in Somerset, so that connection is a back a fair way. My greatgrandfather Merton Smith married Sarah Ware and George Ware married Henrietta Smith which is the line the Mays and Dad come through. Betty P. is more closely connected through the same Ware line - so they are over the moon. Bet is going to show them the Chauvel film "Heritage" in which Dave Ware, who was a bullockie, plays an iconic part.
Don't forget your advice page for the newsletter :):):) Julie

HarrysMum
12-10-10, 10:42
Does that mean Lawrie is related to you???? or just Betty??

His P is only through marriage......lol

Newsletter...........yep.......when do you want it?

Do you realise we are 'talking' to each other via a UK website when we could probably spit to each other's yards..........cept I'm a lady so I don't spit....lol

Merry
12-10-10, 12:17
You mentioned something about unemployment office!!

That was Libby's Mr Slocombe - he was still in the UK in 1861 so isn't your man!