PDA

View Full Version : Milverton Workhouse in Somerset

tenterfieldjulie
08-10-10, 12:23
When researching my Sloman family tree I found an ancestor was a governor of the Milverton workhouse. John Sloman married Amy Pring 1816 Milverton - Amy's father Edward married Mary Hall 1780 Milverton - Edward's father William maried Mary Southey 1748 Milverton - Mary's father William Southey married Betty Ford in 1722 Milverton. When William died in 1754, his death entry noted, he was the Governor of the Workhouse. We had thought there might have been a connection with Robert, but now I am very interested in the Milverton workhouse. I see from one website that Milverton workhouse had 100 people. I have tried emailing different places to see if I can find more about Milverton workhouse but I have not heard back. Any suggestions please on the best place to look? What did the Governor of the Workhouse do? I see in someplaces they refer to the Master, is this the same?
Julie

kiterunner
08-10-10, 12:47
I would think that the Master actually ran the workhouse and the governors were the board which employed him?

Durham Lady
13-10-10, 19:29
Julie, you don't say which site/s you have found the information you have.

I am in Somerset at the moment staying with a friend so I can spend a few days at the heritage centre looking at records. Tomorrow, Thursday, is my last day. I can make a few enquiries for you if you like.

HarrysMum
13-10-10, 21:25
Daphne...............isn't it a small world.......lol

Last night Lawrie was talking about our lunch and wondering if OH had found the Tooheys Old yet........and here you are offering to help someone else from Tenterfield.

tenterfieldjulie
13-10-10, 22:37
Daphne, Thank you so much for your offer - you are so very kind. :d
Milverton parish registers are online & is where most of my info has come from. Families are Sloman/Callard (came to Aus) & long est. local families Pring/Musgrave/Dyer/Warren/Hall/Southey/ Ford/Hancock.
William Southey's burial 24/12/1754 noted he was Governor of Workhouse. There is nothing online about the Workhouse and I emailed Milverton town site requesting info but I have not heard back. On their website the forum has quite a few requests about the graveyard but no local replies.
Googled Parish Workhouses & the site www.workhouses.org.uk - gives a history in Britain - under Somerset I noted that Milverton had 100 places. Unfortunately it is too early for Census, but in the parish burials there are quite a few x Workhouse and include another two of my ancestors.
Any info re the Workhouse in 1754 & William Southey's role would be great?
Slomans lived at Preston Bowyer and Callards Baghaey Farm in 1841 Census?
Really appreciate anything you can find. :D:D:D Julie

Durham Lady
14-10-10, 15:42
Julie, Somerset Heritage Centre who hold all the record have nothing before the mid 18oo's about who the governers and staff of the workhouses were. They didn't seem to have any books about the building either :( Milverton Workhouse seemed to be part of Wellington Workhouse and looking at the reference book on workhouses several parishes around Wellington had places/beds allocated to them.
I think therefore William's position of a Governor was to decide who from Milverton should be sent/given a place at the Wellington Workhouse but I could be incorrect.

I did look at the parish records and saw the burial entry of William and his wife Elizabeth. I took photocopies, the fiche was not very good so the copies are poor. When I get home I'll scan them to see what they are like and if clear enough I can attach them to an e-mail for you. Sorry I couldn't get more for you.

Libby tell Lawrie Phil is still looking, he can get the New but not the Old:d
You'd be happy over here now, it's cold 12c and feels about freezing to me ;(

tenterfieldjulie
15-10-10, 01:00
Hi Daphne,
Thanks so much for looking for Milverton Workhouse, at least I know that there isn't easy info out there that I can't locate.
It will be great if you are able to forward the Southey deaths. :d:d
Thanks for taking up your holiday time to go sleuthing :):) you are a gem.
It is midday here and about 15 degrees outside and it is supposed to be spring. :confused:
I opened the back door & my two cats came inside at a great pace. Not sure if it is the weather or because they wanted food again :rolleyes:
Thanks again - I hope your OH finds the "old" soon, or you'll have to come back to Aus. and we can meet. :D:D Julie

Durham Lady
17-10-10, 08:05
Julie, e-mail sent hope the attachments print ok.
Wasn't really a holiday as such, I went with the intent of spending 3 days looking at records, I could do with at least 3 weeks there though :d

tenterfieldjulie
17-10-10, 10:40
Thanks Daphne a million, it is so great to get copies of documents pertaining to the family from over 250 years ago wow wow wow :D:D:
I made an appointment at Taunton on Friday 4th June and we came over from Uckfield in Sussex and unfortunately got stuck in a traffic jam around and across from Stonehenge because of the end of the holiday !!:mad We got to the office at 4.50 pm and I could have cried. A friend had phoned them in the morning about clarification of a marriage- we had a marriage cert from St. Catherines House which said Nether Stowey but someone had a signed affadavit which said Over Stowey. Anyhow the lady said if I phoned from Cornwall they would check it for me. But I was so disappointed.
You can imagine what it is like travelling from our end of the world - you want to do so much but it isn't possible.
Next time I come I think I will be in UK for a fortnight before I let onto anyone that I am there ;)
I could easily spend a month in Somerset, but then I could easily spend a month in Kent, Bucks etc. etc.
What I feel really happy about is that next time I come I will be properly prepared. I was typing an article tonight about my time in Kent and I realised that I had walked past the church in Tunbridge Wells where my greatgrandfather's brothers and sister were baptised. It was right at the end of my two month stay and maybe I wasn't thinking clearly but I was so cross with myself. Oh well next time. Many thanks again :D:D:D Julie