PDA

View Full Version : Ellen MATTEN

Joy Dean
07-10-10, 21:46
Here is a puzzle -

In the 1881 census Richard Matten or Malten (sic) was a Farm labourer, age 30, with his wife Charlotte, age 28, son George, age 7, and daughters Ellen, age 5, Louisa, age 3, Anna, age 6 months - all were born in Marlesford except Ellen born in "Canada America" - at Sandy Corner, Marlesford, Suffolk.
There is a death registration for an 8-year-old Ellen Mattin registered December qr 1884 Plomesgate District.

Richard (surname Mallin in the index) married Charlotte Mills in 1873 in Suffolk.

Can anyone suggest, please,how I can find out more about Ellen? Thank you.

kiterunner
07-10-10, 22:12
I can't see her birth on ancestry, but only a few of the Canadian provinces have BMD records on there. And the family must have come back to England before the start of the UK Incoming Passenger Lists that ancestry have.

Joy Dean
07-10-10, 22:17
Thank you for looking for her.

They had a very quick trip to Canada and back, and I wonder why. Must have been quite a journey in those days.

Joy Dean
08-10-10, 07:13
Just to let you know that the surname has been changed to Matten in find my past.

Nell
10-10-10, 10:23
Joy

Possibly they'd thought they would find a better life in Canada and found it wasn't paved with gold. Alternatively they might have been homesick.

Joy Dean
21-10-10, 10:40
Joy

Possibly they'd thought they would find a better life in Canada and found it wasn't paved with gold. Alternatively they might have been homesick.

Thank you.

Linny Powell
17-05-12, 23:06
How interesting! Are you related? Ellen was my great grandmothers sister:D

Joy Dean
19-05-12, 12:32
How interesting! Are you related? Ellen was my great grandmothers sister:D

Hello. Very distantly. Ellen and your great-grandmother being grandchildren of Rachel Mattin? If so, I can connect you with another descendant of Rachel.

Rachel's father James is a brother of my ancestor Elizabeth, born in 1818, daughter of Robert and Mary.

CAROLYNKATE
21-05-12, 15:06
Hello

My great grandmother was also a sister of Ellen.