PDA

View Full Version : Timothy GOWING/Elizabeth BUXTON Opinions please

Oakum Picker
03-10-10, 12:51
My gg-gm Mary GOWING featured on 'Take one 2xg-gp' showing father Timothy & mother Elizabeth ?. What follows is my conversation with Kate.

Hmmm, you've probably seen this already, but FamilySearch Record Search's pilot site has a baptism for a Martha Gowing ("gender male", lol) 6 Nov 1805 Stowmarket, parents Timothy Gowing and Elizabeth Buxton, and there is a marriage for Timothy Gowen and Elizabeth Buxton 27 Oct 1805, it only says Suffolk for that though.

Thanks Kate,

That marriage took place at Shelland & that Timothy says he's single but that wouldn't necessarily discount him as mine judging by my Timothy's behaviour; leaving both wives & children in the workhouse on numerous occasions, deserting from the navy, ending up in Norwich & Beccles Gaols - what's a little lie about status eh?

Also my Timothy & Elizabeth did name their first daughter Martha. However, the Workhouse records show that Elizabeth was removed from Norwich in a state of pregnancy in Sep 1807 and when the family was admitted to the workhouse in May 1808, Martha was recorded as 9 mths old.

Thanks for having a look though.

Are you sure that it's not the same couple having two Marthas, with the first one dying in infancy?

No, I can't be sure that it's not but Shelland & Stowmarket are quite a way from Bungay & they have only been sighted in Bungay, Beccles & Norwich. However I checked my notes & don't seem to have any for 1805 so I had better go back to the 'Minute Books' to check.

I was in Suffolk last week to have another look.

The Shelland marriage shows the bachelor? Timothy was of Stowmarket whilst Elizabeth was of Shelland. As stated before the marriage took place 27/10/1805 & they were back in Stowmarket to baptise daughter Martha 6/11/1805 & bury her 12/12/1805.

I went through the Stowmarket register & found only one other mention of a GOWING - William marrying in 1748.

I did find a lot of BUXTONs including a possible baptism for Elizabeth in 1774. The census from the workhouse in 1851 & her death cert. from the same 2 mths later give her age as 73 (1778) Master of the Workhouse. Annoyingly her birth place is UK. By this time her daughter Martha had died & daughter Mary had moved to Ipswich.

When she enters the workhouse in 1808 Timothy or Elizabeth herself gives her age as 35 (1773) which I am inclined to feel is more accurate.

The minute books for Wangford Union show:
12/6/1805 Timothy GOWING's wife to be received into the house when brought. This could be his mother as Timothy's father was also Timothy but in general the older couple were given out relief.

30/10/1805 Ordered that Timothy GOWING aged 12 yrs be admitted to be maintained in the House, his father being ran away & he having no person to maintain him. This was Timothy's eldest child by his first wife Jemima BUNN & makes it possible for him to be in Stowmarket with Elizabeth.

1/1/1806 Ordered that the Governor make enquiry after Timothy GOWING who has left his whereby he is become chargeable to the Corporation. By this time Timothy had 7 more children, only 3 of whom I've been able to kill off although I do believe most did die. Timothy III & sister Jemima ended up in Lincolnshire. At this time I don't know if Jemima was with her gps or still in the House from when she was taken in with her mother in 1803.

26/3/1806 Ordered that the Gov. make enquiry after Timothy GOWING who has left his child chargeable to the Corporation. Could still be in Stowmarket.

23/4/1806 Ordered that Timothy GOWING & his wife be admitted when brought. Is this Timothy & Elizabeth or his parents?

In May he is sent to Beccles gaol for 2 months & released in July having promised to take his daughter out of the House which he does.

Elizabeth isn't mentioned by name until September 1807 although there is mention of fractured ribs for Timothy GOWING's wife in May & June.

Sorry this is so long. After 7 years of thinking Elizabeth BUXTON isn't mine, I'm now thinking she probably is.

Timothy Gowing is not common & mine is the only one I've found in that time frame. Also 7 years later, I have been through more than half the PRs & know he's not in those.

His mother was Martha JOHNSON.

All opinions gratefully received.

kiterunner
03-10-10, 15:04
Well, I thought it was probably the right couple in the first place, so I'm probably not the right person to give an opinion! But it looks likely to me.

Oakum Picker
03-10-10, 15:24
Thanks Kate, just wanted to see if you felt the same with the additional info. & if anyone else thinks not, their reasoning.