PDA

View Full Version : Birth Registration Query

Muggins in Sussex
02-10-10, 09:21
The names are fictional as some of the people are alive

John Smith and Ann Brown had been living with each other as man and wife since 1970 ish. They maried in 1994.

In 1985 they had a son. His birth appears twice in Ancestry (images not available), in the same quarter -

1. George Smith (mmn Brown)

2. George Brown (mmn Jackson)

I guess there must be an easy answer, but I can't think what it is - especially the Jackson bit! -I'm sure the two registrations must be the same son as the surnames are unusual, and it is he same registration district

Any ideas please? - I don't really want to send for the certs

Muggins in Sussex
02-10-10, 09:24
Doh!!! _ I think I've got it - Anne Brown was previously married to Mr Jackson! :o

HarrysMum
02-10-10, 09:25
Had Ann Brown been previously maried???

HarrysMum
02-10-10, 09:25
Snap..........

Muggins in Sussex
02-10-10, 09:26
Thanks Libby - we must have cross-posted! - so far as I was aware, she hadn't been married before - but I guess she must have been. Hmmm

Langley Vale Sue
02-10-10, 13:27
One of my grandaughters is listed twice. She was born in 1997 before her Mum & Dad were married. Her Mum had been married before, and had a daughter from that marriage. After the divorce she reverted to her maiden name and her daughter used that name as well. When she had my son's child she wanted both children to have the same surname so the baby was listed as **** T*****, mmn T*****. There is also another entry for my grandaughter as **** S*****, mmn T*****. Both entries have the same number.

I've just looked again at grandaughter's registration and I've found yet another entry for her! This one is dated a year after my son & daughter-in-law married in 2002 and has a different entry number and the district where they married, not where she was born!!!

I've just looked up another of my grandaughters who was born before her parents married. She also is listed twice - once as ***** S*****, mmn S*****, when actually she was registered with her father's surname of M******* at birth and her name never was S*****!

Durham Lady
02-10-10, 14:21
Our son and partner never married and their son is registered with his fathers surname, the one the child uses, he is also registered with his mothers surname.

I do remember that when one of our daughters separated from her husband while she was pregnant she wanted to register the child with her maiden name as she had reverted to using it, she wasn't allowed as she was still legally married so had to use her married name on the birth certificate.

Olde Crone
02-10-10, 17:20
Do remember that what you are looking at is an INDEX, which is a finding aid leading to an entry in the Register.

Births can only be registered once. Anything else is either an amendment or a cross-reference.

OC