PDA

View Full Version : Rev Adolphus Creswell Newstead

KiwiChris
30-09-10, 18:32
I have found newspaper reports of his probable suicide in Tasmania in 1888, from that it appears he may have been born c1848.

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/9203155?searchTerm=adolphus+creswell+newstead

He had a passport dated London 1883 on him when fished out of the river, as well as pockets full of stones!

He was in Australia 1879-1881 so presumably came and went a couple of times.

Adolphus C Newstead, a farmer, arrived in Sydney in 1887, born c 1851, maybe him??

Can anyone find any more about this man? His name is so odd that I wonder if it really was his name, he also called himself Dr Gill according to the newspaper reports. He certainly was ordained in London 1878 as Adolphus Creswell Newstead.

HarrysMum
30-09-10, 19:03
The only thing I can find in Aus is the same newspaper report you have, Christine.

The arrival in Aus record is on Ancestry but I can't see the actual image to see if that differs.

I can't find him anywhere else, although there is a Adolphus Powel Newstead born in London 1863 and dying London 1864............Maybe a rellie????

KiwiChris
30-09-10, 19:13
That is about as far as I got as well Libby! I am well and truely stuck on this one!

HarrysMum
30-09-10, 19:17
There doesn't seem to be anything else at all....

You can't get his seminary records?????

kiterunner
30-09-10, 19:17
There are a couple of Adolph Newstads of German origin in the US records on ancestry, but the dates don't match with your Adolphus.

HarrysMum
30-09-10, 19:23
Here's a snippet about a Dr Gill.

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5772281

Way over on the right of the page. He's something religious........lol

kiterunner
30-09-10, 19:24
And there is an Adolphus James Cresswell birth registration first quarter of 1845 Wheatenhurst district, Gloucestershire, England.

HarrysMum
30-09-10, 19:24
Probably not him......he's fairly well known.....

Sorry...I meant Dr Gill.

kiterunner
30-09-10, 19:25
Oh, ancestry says his death (your Adolphus Newstead) was registered in the name of Adolphus Cresswell? Is that right?

KiwiChris
30-09-10, 19:25
He was ordained Deacon in London, for Queensland and was never priested. We have no information on his training, or where that may have occured. The ordination of men for the colonies did not always have the same rigor as for those who remained in the UK, and was often a way to ordination for men who would not be accepted otherwise.

As a result we did get some right scallywags down-under! It makes the research interesting, I have to say!:D

KiwiChris
30-09-10, 19:30
Oh, ancestry says his death (your Adolphus Newstead) was registered in the name of Adolphus Cresswell? Is that right?

I didn't see that Kate! I will go take a look.

KiwiChris
30-09-10, 19:33
Hmm, that looks interesting!

HarrysMum
30-09-10, 19:37
Can't find that one???

HarrysMum
30-09-10, 19:39
Is that him in 1871???

Back in a mo.

HarrysMum
30-09-10, 19:45
There's Adolphus James Cresswell with wife Elizabeth and son, Herbert in 1871. Can't find them again until 1901 when Elizabeth is with James (still Cresswell) and Herbert seems to be married.

Need a cuppa........I'll come back and look properly in a tick.

Merry
30-09-10, 20:53
Adolphus James C is calling himself James on most censuses.

KiwiChris
30-09-10, 21:02
If he is still there in 1901, he is not mine.

On a passenger list in 1878 there is the suggestion there is a Mrs Newstead, no initials and the only mention....

HarrysMum
30-09-10, 21:03
Stll there, Christine. Odd about the death entry, though.......

KiwiChris
30-09-10, 21:11
Very odd.
I guess that he could have been from anywhere originally, American, German, anything is possible.

kiterunner
30-09-10, 22:05
There is a match for Adolphus Creswell Newstead on Google books, but I only get the snippet view. Maybe you'll get the full version in NZ? (Or maybe you've already seen it?) It is "The tropics for Christ: being a history of the Diocese of North Queensland" by Edward Carr Rowland (apparently published in 1960 though the dates on Google Books aren't always accurate) and the snippet I get is

They were Richard Hosken, Horace Graham, William Puttock, Adolphus Creswell Newstead, Thomas William Ramm and James Auchinleck Ross. In a letter from Bishop Stanton to his Chaplain (the Rev. HA Mason, formerly curate of S. Thomas',

Merry
30-09-10, 22:09
cont.....

In a letter from Bishop Stanton to his Chaplain (the Rev. HA Mason, formerly curate of S. Thomas', Stepney), quoted in the North Queensland Jubilee Book, he gives instructions as to placing these men in their stations in the Colony, to which, along with Mr. Mason, they had preceded the Bishop.

I can't get any more.

kiterunner
30-09-10, 22:25
You can order a copy of the inquest from the Tasmanian Archives and if I understand it correctly, they will email it to you free of charge.

http://www.archives.tas.gov.au/nameindexes

(click on Inquests and search for the name Newstead and he should come up, then you can click to request a copy)

KiwiChris
30-09-10, 22:53
Thanks Kate, I have requested a copy.

HarrysMum
30-09-10, 23:20
The book is available here...

http://onesearch.slq.qld.gov.au/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?dscnt=0&fn=search&ct=search&vid=SLQ&indx=1&dum=true&vl(freeText0)=tropics%20christ&srt=rank&vl(D45500790UI0)=any&vl(1UI0)=contains&frbg=&tab=default_tab&dstmp=1285888790673&mode=Basic&vl(80620360UI1)=all_items&scp.scps=scope%3A(slq_digitool)%2Cscope%3A(SLQ)

Maybe if you email the librarian...............

HarrysMum
01-10-10, 01:03
Christine............

Off topic.......but I know you are doing histories of the church people.
I have a book about Sister Eileen Heath, an Anglican Deaconess who worked with the Aborigines from about 1935. It is a brilliant read.

KiwiChris
01-10-10, 02:32
That sounds really interesting Libby. I am not sure if the Australian directory includes Deaconesses, the NZ one does, but I have not come across any women in the Australian one as yet. There are however over 6000 names in the Australian list so we may not have got to any yet!
This is going to be a long project! I think we are still a couple of years away from completion and even then it will be nowhere near as fully researched as the NZ equvalent. In the NZ one, we aimed to find grandparents and if a person caught our interest we went back even further and included other snippets of information, if we can catch parents for this one, that will do!

kiterunner
01-10-10, 09:00
You could search through the passport applications on findmypast for him, though I don't think you get much info from that except for name and when they applied for a passport. Well, I suppose if you find him on there it's possible there will be a relative of his on the same page.

Also there is a match on Australian findmypast for Adolphus Newstead - in the Queensland Government Gazette Consolidated Index 1859-1919 - but because I already had my free trial on that site, I can't view it. If you haven't had a free trial already then have a go!

http://www.findmypast.com.au/

anne fraser
01-10-10, 11:59
Adolphus would be very unusual as an English christian name.

Mary from Italy
01-10-10, 13:16
Also off topic for this thread, I take it you have the Australian nuns database, Chris?

http://www.stbedes.catholic.edu.au/home/nuns/

HarrysMum
01-10-10, 19:05
Mary............I've got that, but I think Chris is doing the Anglican lot. That database is Catholic. Seems quite a few of mine are there..........the ones who aren't in lunatic asylums......lol

KiwiChris
01-10-10, 21:09
We are doing the Anglicans from colonial times through to some who are possibly still alive.
The NZ one stops at an ordination date of 1930ish which makes it a bit easier really. The younger ones are so much more difficult to find anything about.

Because Australia was settled earlier there are also a number of men who do not appear on many census earlier as well.

My feeling is that the Australian index is not including women, I must find that out!

The original index was compiled on cards over many years, there is a small group getting it into an on-line publishable format, my role is to try and fill in the family gaps and any other snippets I can come up with. Some are easier than others!:rolleyes:

Merry
01-10-10, 21:58
Passport applications:

5th July 1883 Rev A Newstead

There are other Newsteads that year, but none at the same time.

Merry
01-10-10, 22:24
Ah!:

Adolph Newstadt (tailor/shopman), born about 1846 in Frankfurt, Germany, the son of Jacob Newstadt (a tailor from Frankfurt) and his wife Annie (b Frankfurt) married a widow named Mary Ann Turner in St Andrew's Holborn on 11th Oct 1871. Mary Ann's father's name was Edward Cresswell :D

Adolph is here in 1871:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=7619&iid=LNDRG10_430_433-0251&fn=Adolpus&ln=Newstrant&st=d&ssrc=&pid=11978919

I've not located him in 1881 yet. There are no FreeBMD entries for Mary Ann Newstadt, though she may have changed the spelling or gone abroad with Adolphus.

kiterunner
01-10-10, 22:27
Ooh, well done Merry!

Merry
01-10-10, 22:45
Hmmmm, Jacob's wife was calld Jane in 1861 but I guess it's probably the same wife given there's no marriage for Jacob in England and 'both' wives were b in Germany.

This is probably Jacob's death - note spelling change:

Name: Jacob Newstead
Estimated birth year: abt 1823
Year of Registration: 1902
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Age at Death: 79
District: Southwark(1901 Onw)
County: Greater London, London
Volume: 1d
Page: 67

KiwiChris
01-10-10, 23:39
Wonderful, thank you so much Merry!!!!!:D:D:D

He is possibly still in Australia in 1881 and presumably his wife with him.

Merry
01-10-10, 23:43
I've just noticed on the marriage cert his father is down as Adolph not Jacob! The occ is right though, so I guess that's just a mistake as there are not many Newstads about!

Annoyingly I can't find a Taylor/Cresswell marriage unless Mary Ann was a generation older than her OH, otherwise I might be able to find her before the marriage.

KiwiChris
01-10-10, 23:53
Turner/Cresswell Merry, tailor was the occupation! Having said that the only one I can find the bride was Hannah Cresswell and the groom Abraham Turner, Dudley 1870. If that is them, he must have died fairly quickly.

Merry
02-10-10, 08:45
pmsl! So I was looking for the wrong name all the time!!!

Merry
02-10-10, 08:52
What about this one?:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1623&iid=31280_194682-00534&fn=Mary+Ann&ln=Cresswell&st=d&ssrc=&pid=5814463

She married when her future husband was only about 2 year of age. Cradle snatcher!! (if that's the right one, that is - her dad is correct - am now wondering if I have the right Mr Newsradt? The Aussie newspaper estimated his age roughly right though)

Mary from Italy
02-10-10, 09:19
The same Jacob, from Eldon Street, went bankrupt in 1859 (I searched under the German spelling of the surname, Neustadt):

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/exact=jacob+neustadt/start=1

Can't find them on the list of Alien Arrivals, which goes up to 1869, but I don't know how comprehensive it is. There is an Adolphe Neustadt, but he's from Hamburg, and possibly an adult (it's hard to read, but there's an occupation beginning with M).

There's also a Jacob Neiszstadt, but he was born in Poland and arrived in 1836, which is presumably too early as Adolphe was born in Germany.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=0&gsfn=&gsln=ne*st*t&sx=&f19=&f13=&f15=&rg_f17__date=&rs_f17__date=0&f37=&gskw=&prox=1&db=ho2alienarrivals&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gl=&gss=rfs&gst=&so=3

Merry
02-10-10, 09:21
I don't have time to look any more now, but no luck on FMP matching names and occs.

Got sidetracked by a bap for a Celia Turner shortly after the marriage as there was a Celia Bennett witness to the 1871 marriage, but probably a red herring. tHE FATHER OF cELIA tURNER WAS DEC'D BY HER BAPTISM AND he was a carman, so wrong occ. (sorry, caps lock)

Merry
02-10-10, 10:59
The witnesses at the 1871 marriage were Samuel Major Hicks (parish clerk) and Alice and Celia Bennett. Tried to find Alice and Celia in the same household in 1871, but no luck there.

Merry
02-10-10, 11:57
This helps tie everything together:

Burial at Norwood Cemetery

5th Feb 1870
James Cresswell Turner
54 Red Lion St (the same addy as Mary Turner and Adolph Newstadt gave on their marriage in 1871)
Aged 17

And therefore.............

Name: James Cresswell Turner
Year of Registration: 1852
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Marylebone (1837-1901)
County: London, Middlesex
Volume: 1a
Page: 426

So he will only be on the 1861 census............

Hmmmm..........................

Merry
02-10-10, 12:01
And this one:

Name: Henry Hopkins Cresswell Turner
Birth Date: 26 Aug 1854
Christening Date: 31 Dec 1854
Christening Place: Westminster, London, England
Age at Christening: 0
Father's Name: James Turner
Mother's Name: Mary Ann

Name: Henry Hopkins Cresswell Turner
Year of Registration: 1854
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Westminster St Margaret
County: Middlesex
Volume: 1a
Page: 237

Can't find a death for him yet.

Merry
02-10-10, 12:09
Hmmm.....there's a Henry H C Turner (born Pimlico, right age - can Pimlico and Westminster district go together??!) on a couple of later censuses with his wife Alice E S Turner. In 1881 he has his brother Oliver R M Turner living with him.

Births Dec 1857
Turner Oliver Rockford Mansfield Marylebone 1a 458

Maybe he will appear in 1861 more easily?

Merry
02-10-10, 12:17
I can't find any of them in 1861/71 on Ancestry!!

Merry
02-10-10, 12:25
At last!

54 Red Lion St
Mary Ann Turner head wid 47 refreshment house keeper b London
Henry H Turner son 16 b Pimlico
Oliver R Turner son 13 b Marylebone
George L (?) Turner relative unm 34 b Marylebone
one lodger and two servants

No time to find ref.....can't see on Ancestry.

Going out, bye!

Merry
02-10-10, 12:26
Still wondering if she did marry the right Adolphus?

Merry
02-10-10, 17:24
Here's the burial for Mary Ann's first husband:

Norwood cemetery (same place as son James Cresswell Turner)

21st Feb 1866 James Turner of Red Lion St Holborn aged 42

KiwiChris
02-10-10, 18:23
He would not be the first clergyman to head for the colonies with a wife old enough to be his mother, so you quite possibly have the correct Adolph. I have ordered the inquest but it might take up to 60 days. :(
When it finally arrives lets hope they had worked out just who he was!

*Hoping the Tassie archives are not very busy emoticon*;)

Merry
02-10-10, 19:10
There's a death of a Mary Ann Newstead in Holborn in 1887 and I think her age may be 60, which is a few out. If you didn't know what happened to her, it would be easy to think this was her death - there's no other candidate nearby in 1881 - but if she left the country with her OH, would she have returned?

KiwiChris
02-10-10, 22:19
I believe that it is probable that he went back to the UK and then returned. He had a passport dated London 1883 and I know he was in Australia about 1879-1881, and then that he died there. There is an arrival of Adolphus C Newstead in 1887, b c 1851 but close enough maybe.

marquette
05-10-10, 21:13
I have found newspaper reports of his probable suicide in Tasmania in 1888, from that it appears he may have been born c1848.

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/9203155?searchTerm=adolphus+creswell+newstead

He had a passport dated London 1883 on him when fished out of the river, as well as pockets full of stones!

He was in Australia 1879-1881 so presumably came and went a couple of times.

Adolphus C Newstead, a farmer, arrived in Sydney in 1887, born c 1851, maybe him??

Can anyone find any more about this man? His name is so odd that I wonder if it really was his name, he also called himself Dr Gill according to the newspaper reports. He certainly was ordained in London 1878 as Adolphus Creswell Newstead.

The newspaper reports also show Adolphus Criswell Newstead being in Townsville Far North Queensland in Dec 1878, "registered as ministers of religion, licensed to celebrate marriages".

On 16 Nov 1878, the Rev A.C. Newstead and Mrs Newstead arrived aboard the ship CUZCO from London via Plymouth to Hobsons Bay (Victoria)

On 3 Dec 1878, Rev A.C. Newstead was on a ship passenger list bound for Cooktown, even further FNQ.

On 3 May 1879, it was reported that Rev A.C. Newstead of Church of England, Parramatta was registered to celebrate marriages in NSW.

On 26 July 1879, it was reported that he attended the Annual meeting of the Bush Mission Society.
"The Rev. A. C. NEWSTEAD, a Church of England minister of Northern Queensland, wished the missionaries God-speed, and an increase of enjoyment in their work. He would like to see fifty instead of five missionaries sent abroad, and if any went to his part of Queensland, he
would accord them a sincere welcome."

If its all the same man, he certainly seems to have moved around a lot.

Di

Merry
05-10-10, 21:24
Oooh, well I guess they are all the same man! I wonder what he did with Mrs Newstead?? :eek:

KiwiChris
06-10-10, 04:07
I think they are all the same man. He seems to have been ordained to serve in Nth Queensland. I have my money on him returning to the UK in about 1881/2 and then going back to Australia without Mrs N, either because she was dying or because he did not want to take her back, or maybe she did not want to go!
Certainly, if he was the Adolphus C Newstead calling himself a farmer when he returned, he did not have the Mrs with him. He threw himself in the river with a pocket full of stones a year or so after that.

The NSW licencing is a bit of a mystery because as far as my information is concerned he spent his time in Nth Queensland. But who knows! Maybe Mrs N got as far as Sydney and refused to go any further, and he went back and forwards! The only passenger list I have found her on is that one into Victoria, until then we did not even know there was a Mrs Newstead!

He is not a person I have warmed to, I get the feeling he was not a very nice man, and funnily enough the rest of the team feel the same! (I hope someone does not google their favourite clergy relative and find this thread! :o If so I am sorry and ready to be corrected!!!):)

Merry
06-10-10, 05:57
I'm still tempted by this death (I think the age is 60)

Deaths Sep 1887
Newstead Mary Ann _ Holborn 1b 477

Maybe he committed suicide when he found out she had died?

KiwiChris
06-10-10, 07:02
I quite like that death as well Merry. I am hoping the inquest, when it finally arrives, may have some information about why he took a swim in the river. I will post the answers when I have them!

marquette
06-10-10, 21:31
I am still looking for newspaper evidence of Mrs Newstead.
Did you find all these ?

Mrs Newstead came to Sydney with Rev Newstead on 18 Dec 1878 on th ship Queensland, Capt. Nightingall from Cooktown via Queensland Ports. (Reported The Queenslander, 11 Jan (departed 4 Jan), SMH reported arrival 8 Jan 1879).

They seem to have spent some months in Sydney attending various meettngs of the Orange Lodge and to do with the Bush Mission Society (April and July reports in SMH)

16 Sep 1879 The Mercury (Hobart, Tas) reported that a Rev Newstead was elected as a Fellow for the Royal Society of Tasmania (His Lordship the Bishop of Tas was Chairman) (Horace Graham was also made a Fellow at the same time, perhaps tracing him might help too)

SMH 23 Nov 1878
"THE NORTHERN QUEENSLAND DIOCESE.
A public meeting to welcome the clergymen who arrived by the Cuzco to proceed to the Northern Queensland diocese of the Church of England was held last night at the Masonic Hall. Over 400 persons were present, the chair being occupied by his Lordship the Bishop."
The Masonic Hall seems an odd place to hold a CofE reception, but it seems that Rev Newstead came out specially to go to the new Northern Queensland diocese - he doesnot seem to have lasted long there, but maybe he was a missionary rather than a parish vicar.

Can't see any further sign of him in the papers from Sep 1879 till Dec 1888. So he probably returned to England before getting his passport in 1883. He seems to have been quite an active member of all sorts of societies etc while he was in Australia, so I would have expected more newspaper articles, even a mention of him leaving, or his wife dying, perhaps. The Masons in Australia have a good website, and archives - you could try them for more info. The Royal Society of Tasmania also has a website, they might have something on Adolphus.

Di

Chris
09-11-11, 08:50
My great-great grandparents were married by Rev Newstead in Germanton (now Holbrook) NSW on 28 June 1881. He was appointed Reverent for the Church of England, Germonton around 20th June 1881.

The church opened in June 1881 and from what we can assertain, this was the first marriage conducted in the church by Newstead. He had a falling out with the Archdeacon of Albury was either sacked or he resigned at the end of 1881 and 'disappeared'. Now I know what happened to him.

I have enquired with the church archives if the have any records such as letters or diaries that belonged to him, but no luck. It seems strange that my ancestors would be married by someone from the C of E as they were both Catholic.

Kit
09-11-11, 09:50
I'm not sure where Holbrook is Chris but if it was in the country they didn't always have access to ministers. Maybe your 2g grandparents married when they could, rather than waiting for the ability to be married in their religion.

Chris
09-11-11, 18:57
Sorry Kit, forgot to put Holbrook, New South Wales, half way between Sydney and Melbourne. In 1881 it would have been quite desolate, with the nearest major town being 60 miles away - Albury.

Maybe my 2g grandparents did marry as soon as possible with whatever minister was available, but there was a large catholic church in Germonton at the time.

There is also a family rumour that my g-g grandfather was a 'bushranger'. I have tracked down all branches as they had nine children, 7 of which had families and they have all confiremed they were told the same thing. I am trying to find out if this is the reason why newstead may have lost the ministry in Germonton which he only held for less than 6 months.

Was reading another article from Tasmania newspaper where the Archdeacon would not make Newstead permanent in a job because the Archdeacon believed that Newstead was not capible of upholding the laws and ethics of the diocese.

What is everyones relationship with Newstead on this forum - family history or research?

KiwiChris
09-11-11, 20:15
Newstead is one of my posts. My interest is clergy research and I am working with a small group to pull together and eventually put online, an index of Anglican Colonial Clergy who served in Australia, and he is one of them. Every now and again I need some extra eyes to help make sense of some of them!

The New Zealand and Pacific index is already online, and has been for several years, we have just done an updated version and it will be added shortly.

Kit
10-11-11, 03:52
Sorry Kit, forgot to put Holbrook, New South Wales, half way between Sydney and Melbourne. In 1881 it would have been quite desolate, with the nearest major town being 60 miles away - Albury.

Chris I live in NSW, near Sydney, so if I haven't heard of a place it is generally in the country or a not well known place. I don't have a great sense of direction but I have near, far, up, down and out sorted quite well. :o

Chris
10-11-11, 10:51
Kit, I also live in Sydney - The Hills region. Do you want a copy of the marriage certificate for your research? As I mentioned the C of E church was built and opened in early June 1881, Newstead was appointed the Rev around 21st June and married my 2g-grandparents, Henry and Kate Hart (nee Keown) on 28th. June. Do you know if he kept a diary or had any letters?

KiwiChris, would you also like a copy? I gave a copy to the current clergy and also the local museum in Holbrook as we have determined it was most likely the first C of E marriage for Holbrook, a bit of history for them.

Chris
10-11-11, 11:18
Looking at the Brisbane suburb of Newstead. There is a street named Creswell - a coincidence?

Kit
11-11-11, 09:52
Chris thanks but no. They aren't my family, I was just commenting on KiwiChris's thread.

KiwiChris
11-11-11, 18:04
Thanks for the offer Chris, but it is outside the limits of the project.