PDA

View Full Version : Are there any other Lancashire PRs?

HarrysMum
29-09-10, 10:32
I can't find anything on Lancs OPC for this, so wondering if anyone knows anywhere else to look.

I have Agnes Addison marrying William Kirkby 5th Nov 1727, Hawkshead.

I don't have a baptism for Agnes but I have from other sources, she is the daughter of Hugh Addison. I also have Hugh Addison's will of 1743 which states his daughter, Agnes is the wife of William Kirkby. This will also gives his wife as Jane.

I cannot find any marriage for Hugh Addison and anybody fitting the time period, but, I have found a will of 1707 of Robert Scales which mentions his daughter, Jane and son-in-law, Hugh Addison. They are all in the right area.

Is there any way of finding any other PRs to see if can find a connection or get back any further.

This is also the family that has Agnes Addison's and William Kirkby's daughter, Jane being baptised, but not their son, David.

All ideas received with thanks.....

kiterunner
29-09-10, 10:49
I don't suppose you're likely to get to the Lancashire Record Office, lol! Have you looked on the Family History Library Catalog on FamilySearch to see if there are any PR's you can order to your nearest Family History Centre?

HarrysMum
29-09-10, 11:13
Actually, I'm not sure if it is Lancashire or Cumbria....

Hawkshead is now in Cumbria and that is where most of the families involved came from, however, there are also other members from Bolton le Sands and Furness.

The lady at the local LDS office told me they are having trouble getting Cumbria to let them use records that used to be Lancashire's. I'm not sure what the issue is.....lol

kiterunner
29-09-10, 11:19
If you look on the Family History Library catalogue and search for Hawkshead, then choose Church Records, there are a few that may or may not be of any use:

Subject
England, Lancashire, Hawkshead - Church records

Titles
Births, marriages, and burials, 1652-1784 / Society of Friends. Hawkshead Monthly Meeting (Lancashire)
Bishop's transcripts for Hawkshead, 1689-1864 / Church of England. Parish Church of Hawkshead (Lancashire)
Burial register transcripts, 1865-1894 / Society of Friends Meetinghouse (Colthouse)
Christenings, marriages, and burials, 1705-1708/9, 1712-1799, Hawkshead, Lancashire, England / Church of England. Parish Church of Hawkshead (Lancashire)
The oldest register book of the parish of Hawkshead in Lancashire, 1568-1704 / Cowper, Henry Swainson
Parish register transcripts, Finsthwaite and Satterthwaite, Lancashire, and Dent, Yorkshire, England / Norman, Bertram William Tuff, 1880-1959
Parish registers, 1568-1901 / Church of England. Parish Church of Hawkshead (Lancashire)
Parish registers, 1866-1901 / Church of England. Chapelry of Low Wray
A register of births & baptisms, deaths & burials 1788-1837 ... parish of Hawkshead, Lancashire / Leonard, Kathleen, d. 1974
A register of marriages in the parish of Hawkshead, Lancashire, 1754-1837 / Church of England. Parish Church of Hawkshead (Lancashire)
A register of marriages in the parish of Hawkshead, Lancashire, 1754-1837 / Leonard, Kathleen, d. 1974
The registers of Satterthwaite : baptisms 1766-1840 / Jones, Aidan C. J.

HarrysMum
29-09-10, 21:18
I've looked at some of those, Kite, but haven't found anything. Trouble is.........I don't know where the events I'm looking for happened. I'm fairly sure they would have been Lancashire (as it was then) but they had homes all over the place.

I suspect David Kirkby's baptism was a private one and maybe the other events were at the same place.....although I thought I'd find the couple of missing marriages.

One of the BTs corrected a PR with a load of personal info, so I know the family was known......lol

Astoria
30-09-10, 20:30
This is quite a useful site, especially if your family spread themselves around a bit.

http://www.northofthesands.org.uk/westmoreland/surname/512/addison

Astoria
30-09-10, 20:36
Another useful site

http://www.cultrans.com/

Good luck :)

HarrysMum
30-09-10, 21:04
Thanks Astoria.