PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Guildhall Library Wednesday 29 Sept.....

Sue from Southend
28-09-10, 14:52
......and should be able to fit a few lookups in if any one needs any done. Requests before 8.30 am Wednesday, please.

Nell
28-09-10, 19:28
Nothing for me Sue, but have a wonderful time!

ElizabethHerts
28-09-10, 20:12
Sue, I'm sure I must have something but I haven't noted it down. I had a fruitful time last time I went there - they are very good for marriage licences!

Have a great day.

We are visiting no. 2 daughter tomorrow as it's her birthday.

Jill
28-09-10, 20:13
Me neither, hope you find lots to interest you. Just love their bookshop and the Art Gallery.

ElizabethHerts
28-09-10, 20:24
Last time I went they had a book in their bookshop called "Mapping London" by Simon Foxell. It's well worth browsing it. It's fascinating.

http://www.blackdogonline.com/all-books/mapping-london.html

Simon Foxell is my cousin. :)

Sue from Southend
28-09-10, 20:38
I'm hoping to find out more about my Underhays. I recently found a snippet from a settlement examination dated 1810 so fingers crossed there'll be some more information. I'd forgotten about the Marriage Licences, Elizabeth I may have to look a couple of those up too!

In the afternoon I'm joining a guided walk/talk, organised by the LMA, around the Old Nichol area of Shoreditch where many of my ancestors lived in abject poverty.

Will check in again before I leave in the morning just in case anyone thinks of something.

Joan of Archives
28-09-10, 21:24
I am not sure what records the Guildhall covers, & what area? It's a very kind offer Sue. :)

Sue from Southend
28-09-10, 21:32
It's the City of London only, Joan. This is their website which will give you a better idea

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Libraries/City_of_London_libraries/guildhall_lib.htm

Joy Dean
28-09-10, 21:46
Wish I could come, too. The staff were very helpful when I was searching apprenticeship records for watermen and lightermen in my family.

Oh, just remembered something - could you look, please, in Boyd’s marriage index for a marriage for a Thomas Puckeridge and Martha Mansfield in 1763 St
Sepulchre, London? I read it somewhere ...

And, but only if it is not too time-consuming - I searched online directories but couldn't find them - my relative was working for Messrs. Lavington, builders, in Cricklewood in 1916 when he had a fatal accident; it was after a fall from a scaffold at British Caudron Company's premises, Cricklewood. If you could find anything about the builders, it would be brilliant, thank you.

Sue from Southend
29-09-10, 07:22
Wish I could come, too. The staff were very helpful when I was searching apprenticeship records for watermen and lightermen in my family.

Oh, just remembered something - could you look, please, in Boyd’s marriage index for a marriage for a Thomas Puckeridge and Martha Mansfield in 1763 St
Sepulchre, London? I read it somewhere ...

And, but only if it is not too time-consuming - I searched online directories but couldn't find them - my relative was working for Messrs. Lavington, builders, in Cricklewood in 1916 when he had a fatal accident; it was after a fall from a scaffold at British Caudron Company's premises, Cricklewood. If you could find anything about the builders, it would be brilliant, thank you.

Hi Joy

The marriage is on Ancestry - I'll post the details when I get back if you don't have access. But it was by Licence so I'll see if I can find that. Not sure about the builder - that may be at the LMA but I'll ask.

Off now - lets hope it doesn't rain too hard....;(

Sue from Southend
29-09-10, 16:57
Okay - so why didn't anyone tell me that all the City of London parish records and documents have been moved to the LMA????

By the time I got over to the LMA it was 11.30 and I had to leave by 1.30 and eat lunch in that time so research time was limited. However I've got the details of your marriage licence Joy and found what I think is your builder in a directory for 1915. I'll post details later when I've eaten.

Joy Dean
29-09-10, 17:53
Okay - so why didn't anyone tell me that all the City of London parish records and documents have been moved to the LMA????

By the time I got over to the LMA it was 11.30 and I had to leave by 1.30 and eat lunch in that time so research time was limited. However I've got the details of your marriage licence Joy and found what I think is your builder in a directory for 1915. I'll post details later when I've eaten.

Thank you very, very much. I had a 14 day free trial with ancestry but it has finished now.
I hope it didn't rain too much and hope you don't feel too tired.

Sue from Southend
29-09-10, 19:17
I didn't get very wet Joy, and feel much better after pizza and a couple of glasses of wine!

The marriage of Thomas Puckridge as follows (from Ancestry)

12 May 1763 St James Clerkenwell
Thomas Puckridge, bachelor of this parish married Martha Mansfield, spinster of the parish of St Sepulchre, Holborn. By licence. Both signed. Witnesses, Jno Mansfield and Wm Puckridge (both signed)

The Licence -
Issued 10 May 1763
Thomas Puckridge of the parish of St James Clerkenwell, bachelor aged 21 years and upwards intendeth to marry Martha Mansfield, spinster of the parish of St Sepulchre aged 23 years.

I only had time to look at one directory for your builder and found this-

Post Office Directory for County Suburbs 1915

Lavington Ltd, builders. 17 Lansdowne Rd, South Lambeth SW

Hope this of some use.

Joy Dean
29-09-10, 20:17
That's brilliant! Thank you very, very much :)