PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted please. What does this say?

Ann from Sussex
26-09-10, 18:00
Could someone look at this census entry for me please

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8860&iid=MDXHO107_1486_1486-0498&fn=Roberts&ln=Mitchelhill&st=r&ssrc=&pid=2274676

and tell me what you think WALHAM COLLINGFORD's (6th line down) relationship to ROBERT MITCHELHILL (5th line down) is. To me it looks like "joint co op". Ancestry has him as "joint lodger" but it definitely doesn't say that.

Ann

Crafty Sue
26-09-10, 18:18
Hi Ann,
Another site has it transcribed as "joint to son", but it doesn't look like that either.

Sue

Crafty Sue
26-09-10, 18:26
Still looking at this... the 2nd to last letter looks like a 'd', comparing it to Benjamin Fiddler -the first name on page.

Sue

added: Could it mean that they were joint head of the household?

Ann from Sussex
26-09-10, 18:28
Hi Ann,
Another site has it transcribed as "joint to son", but it doesn't look like that either.

Sue

Thanks Sue...but that can't be right as they are more or less the same age so Robert can't be Walham's son! Anyway, I know who Robert's father was as it is the Mitchelhills who are my family.

My guess is that these two were in business together as tailors although Walham doesn't have an occupation on the census.

Ann

kiterunner
26-09-10, 18:33
Is it Joint Hd, with a bit of the H missing and a squiggle under the d?

Crafty Sue
26-09-10, 18:34
My guess is that these two were in business together as tailors although Walham doesn't have an occupation on the census.

Ann

That's what I was thinking Ann, joint heads of the household.

Sue

Ann from Sussex
26-09-10, 18:35
Still looking at this... the 2nd to last letter looks like a 'd', comparing it to Benjamin Fiddler -the first name on page.

Sue

added: Could it mean that they were joint head of the household?

You're right and it doesn't look like any of the "o"s on the page either.

I wonder if it's meant to be "joint ditto", i.e. joint head although it doesn't look anything like the other "do"s on the page.

Ann

Merry
26-09-10, 18:35
I think it says

'joint to do'

as in

joint to ditto = joint to the head

so they are shared head of house.

Merry
26-09-10, 18:36
Snap!!

Ann from Sussex
26-09-10, 18:40
I think you've all helped me solve the mystery - I'm sure now it means (even if it doesn't look like it) Joint Head.

Thanks everyone.

Ann