PDA

View Full Version : Quick 1847 birth question.

HarrysMum
19-09-10, 08:59
For a friend who is joining here in a minute...

She has Charles SLOMAN born 1847. Baptised at Enmore, Somerset 5th Sept 1847.

She wants the exact birth date but there are 2 births for that name in that q in that district. Would they be 2 seperate people???

Vol and page numbers are the same.

Thanks.

Merry
19-09-10, 09:08
There are two entries in the index, so it could be two births or a mistake. Does your contact know who the parents should be? Has anyone checked the following census to see how many appear? Also were there any deaths for a Charles Sloman who could be one of these 'two'?

HarrysMum
19-09-10, 09:12
Merry.....they came to Australia in 1848....but the "other" may not have. The parents should be Charles and Sarah so she could put a checking point??????

I haven't ordered a cert for ages.

Merry
19-09-10, 09:16
Oh good! The only one I've found has parents James and Sarah (listed as Howman in 1851) but his place of birth is Hillfarence (sp?) Somerset and I don't know if that would make him the 'other' birth in Bridgwater or not!

Yes, she needs to get the father's name checked.

Margaret in Burton
19-09-10, 09:26
Haven't they stopped checking points?

HarrysMum
19-09-10, 09:27
That's what I heard...Margaret.

Does anyone know if Hillfarrance would be in Bridgewater district??

Margaret in Burton
19-09-10, 09:29
That's what I heard...Margaret.

Does anyone know if Hillfarrance would be in Bridgewater district??

Hillfarrance SOM 1837 1884 Wellington (Som.) after 1884 see Milverton; Oake; Nynehead

Merry
19-09-10, 10:01
Haven't they stopped checking points?

So what do you do if there are two of the same name on the same page? (I realise it may be an error and there will only be one cert when they look)

samesizedfeet
19-09-10, 10:14
If you select 'yes' for 'is GRO index known' you can't enter parents names but if you select 'no' the form has boxes for parents names.

But, you are then relying on them to pinpoint the two in the index you have found. You only give them a year if birth to help find it so it's whether you trust them to work out correctly which one is yours.

HarrysMum
19-09-10, 10:20
Thanks.................I've told her to email GRO.......not sure if they answer or not.

kiterunner
19-09-10, 10:36
Maybe she would be better to order it from the local register office for Enmore (whatever that is)?

Margaret in Burton
19-09-10, 10:41
Maybe she would be better to order it from the local register office for Enmore (whatever that is)?

Looks like it could be Taunton.

The Register Office, Flook House, Belvedere Road, Taunton, TA1 1BT.
Tel: 01823 282251. E-mail: [email protected]

Olde Crone
19-09-10, 10:58
It looks more like a mistake to me - the transcriber has entered the same person twice by the looks of it.

However......I have known two people of the same name registered on the same day. It nearly drove me insane especially as the parents names were the same as well.

Fortunately for me, the eagle eyed local registrar spotted two small differences - the date of birth (two days apart) and the addresses.

I would be tempted to get in touch with the local RO myself!

OC

kiterunner
19-09-10, 10:59
It's not a transcription mistake as the index has both entries on it.

Merry
19-09-10, 11:09
If you select 'yes' for 'is GRO index known' you can't enter parents names but if you select 'no' the form has boxes for parents names.

But, you are then relying on them to pinpoint the two in the index you have found. You only give them a year if birth to help find it so it's whether you trust them to work out correctly which one is yours.

Certainly, before the change in the system the GRO did not cross ref against any other information given to them except the ref checking thing which is now withdrawn. I was told this by a member of their staff. This came about when I ordered a death cert giving the name, GRO ref and age at death and they sent me a cert for a different person. Turned out, what I looked down the WHOLE list of people in the GRO index who had the same name and had died that Q there was another person, same reg district and page number, but a different age and they had just sent me the one they saw first, not worrying about the 55 year age difference between the one I'd asked for and the one they sent! I don't know if they check more thoroughly now, but I guess that's down to who does the look up.