PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done a "one name study"?

HarrysMum
17-09-10, 21:42
I'm thinking of doing something like this for the Ariels.....(should be locked up, I know...lol)

There seems to be ours in Bristol.
There's another lot in London which could well be related.
There's a lot in Thorne, Yorkshire (who I 'feel' are an offshoot of the London lot.

Then another lot in Wales.

Some are ARIEL and some are ARIELL. Ours are now ARIEL, but on all the early records are ARIELL. They were all well educated so I'm thinking it's possibly the same family.

Do I do a 'tree' for each area, or time frame? I checked on the GOONS site but couldn't see how to actually do it.

I don't need a formal one name study............I just want to see if I can sort them out in my own head............no laughing!!!!

Merry
17-09-10, 22:15
I have never done a formal one name study, but I have a family on my tree which I have extended to include as many connected lines as I can, even though the vast majority are not my relatives. Like your Ariels, it's a fairly rare surname, and like yours I have three main areas in the country that I'm sure do link, but I've not worked out how they come together yet. A proper one name study would have all of these offshoots properly documented even before they could be joined up, but I have not done that with mine as yet and probably will never do so, which is he reason I have never considered GOONS.

I'm sure if you made a proper tree of everything you could find on the Ariels you would eventually make some good discoveries with the plus that they would probably all be your OH's relatives which will never be the case with my little twig plus it's huge carbuncle!

HarrysMum
17-09-10, 22:27
So Merry.............

Have you done a mini tree for every one with that surname???

I'm looking at starting the in early 1800s and going back (I know not the proper way).

I have started writing out all the 'early' Ariel/ls I can find but they are just 3 seperate trees at the moment.

samesizedfeet
18-09-10, 00:17
I have sort of done one for the Linksons. I started by getting every occurrence of the name in the BMDs.

I wrote them all out alphabetically in a book and matched up suitable births with deaths etc and then noted what were the possible marriages for both males and females.

Once I had a decent list with an idea of birth and death for each individual I then used a mixture of parish records and the census to sort them all in to family groups and prove that the ones I had killed off didn't appear when I didn't want them to and I had married people off at the right time.

I eventually had them sorted into 3 distinct families descended from either John (1794), James (1800) or Robert (1808). I then started working the name backwards to find a possible link.

I was VERY fortunate though as I proved the link was they were all brothers and found their parents' marriage and then on census relatively easily (despite ancestry doing their best to mistranscribe them) so I only had to go back one generation before the accessible records.

Also, the name is very unusual and had there been more to research I may have given up. There's only 2-300 of us from 1837 -2002 (when I started my study) so it was a manageable number to work with.

HarrysMum
18-09-10, 00:52
Thanks Zoe....

I've got quite a few names done like you have, put in a book ages ago in the hope of one day joining them. I'm really not interested in much after 1840, but will use the available census for 41 and 51 to start some other christian names.

I want to stay in the UK as Ariel is a strong Jewish name and there are a mass of them in the USA from early years.

Once the UK lot are at least written, I MIGHT go "offshore".

There's only 19 Ariels in the 1841 England census and 24 in the 1851.

Jenoco
18-09-10, 03:26
I’m keeping track of all the English Philbricks/Philbrooks and have spreadsheets with all the births/marriages/deaths and census and parish records I come across. There were only about 200 of them in the1881 census and most of them were related to me. They mostly come from Essex, although there were a few elsewhere (e.g., Suffolk and London). I can trace my line back to about 1685 but haven’t found a link to the Suffolk and earlier London families. There were also some in Colchester I haven’t been able to link in (yet!). Some of the Suffolk lot sailed to the US around the time of the Mayflower and I haven’t included them in my research at all.

It’s been a very interesting “exercise”.

Good luck with the Ariels.

Guinevere
18-09-10, 05:11
Dare I mention the Allenders?

I'm not doing a formal one, though, because I don't like the rules imposed by the Guild of One Name Studies.

I collected all the IGI baptisms and marriages and used them to construct loose trees in FTM. Then I collected all I could find on Free BMD and census and used that to consolidate the trees.

HarrysMum
18-09-10, 05:25
Thanks Jenny...

Gwynne....you can mention your Allenders as much as you like. Any name starting with A is welcome......we can all go mad together....lol

That's the sort of thing I'm thinking of doing. I've got a lot of info, but for the life of me, can't connect them yet.

I do think John Ariell who is first found in Bristol and never seen again, could well be John Ariel in London......My John came from a line of West India and East India brokers and the London John became a ship builder. Sort of keeps it in the family......lol

Merry
18-09-10, 07:04
Erm....I don't have access to my tree right now but this is how mine goes:

John Horniman married my 4xg-aunt in the 1820s. His brother Robert also married one of my 4xg-aunts and his sister married another of my relatives a first cousin of the other two siblings so the descendants of all that lot are my relatives and are on my tree.

Because I kept coming across Horniman records I have gone back from the father of the three Horniman siblings above, to the beginning of the 1700s. This is all in Berkshire and one or two nextdoor counties. Wherever I've been able to trace people forward I have done so and they are all on my tree, though they are not my relatives.

I am aware that there is a smattering of Hornimans in London, Devon/Somerset and County Durham, only a few of which I have connected. (I'm including varient spellings, but really only the ones where the vowels change - Hurniman, Harneman, Horneman etc but realise some Harmans and other similar names may well be connected, but I'm not going there!!). I'm particularly interested in the County Durham and other further north Hornimans, as they are mainly labourers etc whilst the majority on my tree from Berkshire etc are fairly well-to-do and become more successful with time (like the Ariels). I want to know if it was one of the Berkshire or Somerset lot who began the northern line but didn't do so well, or what. I have not really made a concerted effort to go backwards with the northern lot to see how far I can get, (because I have enough other stuff to do lol) but that would be my next step if I were to carry on with this.

I think I have about 300 Horniman descendants on my tree, of which about half are my relatives.

Mary from Italy
18-09-10, 10:11
I haven't done one myself, but this is the one-name site connected with one of my main names, to give you an idea of how some people do it:

http://www.mallettfamilyhistory.org

Merry
18-09-10, 10:23
There's only 19 Ariels in the 1841 England census and 24 in the 1851

Plus the ones transcribed as Avril and Hovell (probably amongst many others!)

Joan of Archives
18-09-10, 20:24
I have never done a ONS of my names but at the moment I am gathering copies of all the wills from one of my names in a certain village & surrounding areas as I know that all these people must be related somewhere :rolleyes:

marquette
18-09-10, 21:18
I've been doing a sort-of one name study on the Cole families of Langham and Oakham in Rutland. Both families use GUY as a christian name and one branch DANIEL, consistently, so I've been trying to patch a tree together.

I have it in PAF and part on ancestry. I have gone back as far as the beginning of the Langham parish records, which are helpfully transcribed on-line, but am stuck with only IGI entries for Oakham.

And then, all the male lines had moved far and wide by 1841, so no help there.

Firstly I put them all into an Excel spreadsheet in chronological order, then on another sheet, I grouped each marriage with the obvious children, then added the burials I could work out. Then I put it all into PAF so I could join it up. But I still have two branches of Coles, unjoined, one in Langham and one in Oakham.

I think I have even figured out who the GUY was that all the boys were named after, but even that doesn't help, and no idea about DANIEL.

Di

HarrysMum
18-09-10, 21:22
Merry...............lol

I have been lucky so far with spelling. I do have one "Sarah Arill" in the IGI but the original could be Ariel as the first 'L' is slightly lower than the second 'L' so I'm taking it as an 'E'...

Joan............the wills are what started me on this lark. I know the Ariel family had interests in Lancashire, Yorkshire and London as well as Bristol. The men got their wives from all over the country anyway.......lol

HarrysMum
18-09-10, 21:27
Di...I have a couple of Guys as well. They use it as a second name.

The most common 'unusual' name is Myles. That came from the Lancashire lot and it is common as much in that area. They seemed to name the boys after a priest who was murdered....

OC knows the story............lol

Kit
21-09-10, 07:39
I don't. please tell.

mxwlamont
15-07-11, 09:00
Speaking as a descendant of the Thorne line, I think a one-name study on Ariell would be a great idea. And yes, you are correct that the line was from London, the eldest 3 children of our Thorne lot were born there. Only one adult Ariell male left in the Thorne line, lives in Wellington, New Zealand.

tenterfieldjulie
15-07-11, 09:12
Ahoy - Libby - I think you just received a late birthday present. lol Hi mxwlamont - welcome to GF. Libby is going to be in raptures to hear from you... Now everyone - be nice, this kind person is part of the Ariels ............... now ladies no stampede .. Ariels are delightful... it's just Agatha, who never died that is the problem ...

HarrysMum
15-07-11, 09:47
Ooooh....I'm here...just on the phone. Be back in mo....

HarrysMum
15-07-11, 11:16
Blimey...my sister can talk...lol

Mxwlamont................there are 3 Ariell names in the Australian white pages. I remember contacing one of them ages ago.

I'm sure there will be a connection between the Ariell and Ariel lot somewhere. I found an Ariell in London who was a shipwright and our lot were shipping agents and traders. There is another group in Wales.

I must get back to this.

Oooh welcome by the way~~~~

tenterfieldjulie
15-07-11, 11:31
You were talking to Ireland LIbby!!
Mxwlamont - when Libby is excited she uses her hands a lot ~~~~
She is excited!! If you have loooooooots of time - go into the search box at the top - type in Ariel and click on threads and you will find out about the elusive Agatha - who has a very exciting life .. worthy of novel really ... only trouble she disappears in ???

HarrysMum
15-07-11, 11:44
You were talking to Ireland LIbby!!
Mxwlamont - when Libby is excited she uses her hands a lot ~~~~
She is excited!! If you have loooooooots of time - go into the search box at the top - type in Ariel and click on threads and you will find out about the elusive Agatha - who has a very exciting life .. worthy of novel really ... only trouble she disappears in ???

No not Ireland...that's tomorrow.....only Camp Hill....lol

Agatha goes AWOL after 1848 to be not very precise.

I suppose I should round up all those Ariells before my Ancestry sub runs out.....another job.....lol

Merry
15-07-11, 12:16
I had to laugh that there's a few adverts in the Lloyds Weekly Newspaper (London) in 1898 which state

"Immense Fortunes Going Begging - £100,000,000 in Chancery now payable"

Followed by information about a company called Dougal and Co who can help you get your hands on the lovely money in return for one shilling! Then there are some letter from grateful (rich??) customers.

After all that there is a list of surnames to tempt you to contact Dougal and Co. There are about 400 surnames. No Ariel, but there is Giacobbi! lol

I think you should send your shilling :D The addy is Dougal and Co, 62 The Strand, London :d

Uncle John
15-07-11, 20:34
There are no new scams under the sun!

HarrysMum
15-07-11, 21:08
Merry........you do NOT mention Giacobbi unless you are prepared to research it properly.....lol

UJ....ain't that the truth.....lol