PDA

View Full Version : Administration (with will)

Muggins in Sussex
12-09-10, 15:53
Two questions!

1.Where there is a grant of Administration (with will), does the person to whom the grant is made become the executor of the estate? :confused:

2. And why, when that person is the widower of the deceased, is he described in the National Probate Calendar as "gentleman" and not as "widower"? :confused:

Thanks

kiterunner
12-09-10, 15:56
I don't think they often put "widower" in there, Joan- men are defined by their occupation and women by their marital status!
As for the first question, I'm not sure. Perhaps he was named as executor in the will but it was invalid for some reason?

Merry
12-09-10, 15:56
I don't recall any men having their marital status given in the probate index?? Women are either spinsters, widows or 'widow the relict', but no mention if they are plain married.

Am very prepared to find what I've said is incorrect!

kiterunner
12-09-10, 16:00
I was quite surprised to see Widower in that probate entry I found for OH's 2xg-grandfather the other day when I was doing his TO2G entry (Edmund Miller), and not just because I thought his wife outlived him!

Muggins in Sussex
12-09-10, 16:07
Thanks Merry and Kite,

I am sure I had seen "widower" before, and hadn't realised it wasn't the norm.

Who would normally be the executor where there is a grant of admin (with will)? Would it be the court or the main beneficiary? - or the next of kin?

Maybe I am getting unduly suspicious (I haven't got a copy of the will yet) but the "gentleman" is HW Wicks :eek:

kiterunner
12-09-10, 16:12
Next of kin.

Muggins in Sussex
12-09-10, 16:16
Thank you Kite :)

kiterunner
12-09-10, 16:20
I thought your initial question was asking why was he called executor rather than administrator!
:d

Muggins in Sussex
12-09-10, 16:21
I thought your initial question was asking why was he called executor rather than administrator!
:d

Sorry - I didn't explain it well - HW always throws me in a tizzy :d