PDA

View Full Version : soldier in the 4th Hussars?

BlueSavannah
12-09-10, 11:14
Hi,

After visiting the church, by chance, where my great x 3 grandparents married yesterday, it has set off my interest in them again.

My great x 3 grandfather was John Carter who was born 1841c in Kensington (according to the census). His father was named as Moses Carter on his marriage certificate. On the marriage cert, John's occupation was given as, what I think says, soldier in the 4th hussars.

Would anyone know if there are any records available which might give me more info on John's time in the hussars and possibly his family?

Many thanks

kiterunner
12-09-10, 11:16
Have you looked in the Chelsea Pensioners' records on findmypast?

BlueSavannah
12-09-10, 11:24
I havnt Kite, but I do have an account with findmypast so will take a look. I dont actually know what the Chelsea Pensioners are :confused:

kiterunner
12-09-10, 11:30
They're listed as British Army Service Records on there:
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/chelsea-pensioners-service-records-collection-search-start.action

BlueSavannah
12-09-10, 11:33
many thanks for the link :)

BlueSavannah
12-09-10, 11:57
oooh think ive found him on there. Different regiment of the Hussars but same birth year and place. Will take me a while to decifer the handwriting but Ive already worked out on the medical part he had syphillis :eek:

geminigirl
01-01-12, 19:17
john carter was my gggrandads brother,have quite a bit on the family but any info on them would be appreciated:) and would be glad to share mine