PDA

View Full Version : Edmund Miller

kiterunner
10-09-10, 10:22
Name - "official" name and what they were known as Edmund Miller
Date and place of birth 25th Oct 1813 Scotforth, Lancashire
Names of parents William Miller and Jane nee Hornby
Date and place of baptism - if applicable 7 Nov 1813 St Mary, Lancaster
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 20th Aug 1850 at St Michael on Wyre, Lancashire, to Ellen Parker
Occupation(s) - if any Farmer
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on.
1841 Forton, Lancashire (if it's him)
1851 Inskip with Sowerby, Lancashire
1861 Woodplumpton, Lancashire
1871 Pop Hall Lane, Woodplumpton, Lancashire
1881 Square Lane, Woodplumpton, Lancashire
Date, place and cause of death 19 Feb 1888, Catforth, Lancashire
Date and place of burial / cremation. Not found
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Administration granted 25 Sep 1891 at Lancaster to son William Miller. Personal estate £5.
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

kiterunner
10-09-10, 10:29
Hmm, that's weird - it says on the National Probate Calendar that he was a widower and that his son William was his only Next of Kin, but his wife died in 1896! And she's on the 1891 census at Square Lane.

Margaret in Burton
10-09-10, 10:49
Maybe he disowned her for some reason.

kiterunner
10-09-10, 10:50
And another strange thing - his date of birth is 30th Oct 1811 on a family tree that was passed down to OH, and his birthplace is Scotforth on the censuses, but now I've found a baptism on Lancashire online parish clerks website:
Edmund Miller, born 25 Oct 1813, baptised 7 Nov 1813 St Mary Lancaster, parents William and Jane, abode Scotforth, occupation farmer.

I wonder which is right?

Margaret in Burton
10-09-10, 11:03
Did the family tree you were given have a source for that date?

Margaret in Burton
10-09-10, 11:04
Which year of birth fits his age on the each census?

kiterunner
10-09-10, 11:04
It didn't have sources for anything but the rest of it seems to be right. Well, mostly. I assume it was from personal knowledge or a family Bible, because it includes a lot of dates of birth which don't appear on the baptism records.

Margaret in Burton
10-09-10, 11:09
And another strange thing - his date of birth is 30th Oct 1811 on a family tree that was passed down to OH, and his birthplace is Scotforth on the censuses, but now I've found a baptism on Lancashire online parish clerks website:
Edmund Miller, born 25 Oct 1813, baptised 7 Nov 1813 St Mary Lancaster, parents William and Jane, abode Scotforth, occupation farmer.

I wonder which is right?

That part is on family search record search too

kiterunner
10-09-10, 11:09
Which year of birth fits his age on the each census?

Hmmm.. 1841 he is 25 (if it's him)
1851 38
1861 47
1871 57
1881 67
Age at death 76.

He was the youngest of 8 children, his mother was in her late thirties when he was born and the previous child was born 17 Dec 1810, so I think 1813 is more likely to be right. Thanks.

Margaret in Burton
10-09-10, 11:11
OOh I wonder if it's the same one though. It's on 3 times. One of them has the same date and parents but says the baptism was at Overton, Lancaster.

I don't know the area at all.

kiterunner
10-09-10, 11:12
That part is on family search record search too

Yes, it is, but it shows residence as Lancaster! How annoying! If they are going to show residence on the index they could at least transcribe what it actually says on the record! It's ridiculous, because although it shows residence as Lancaster on the list of matches, when you click to view the full transcription of the record it doesn't even show residence!

Margaret in Burton
10-09-10, 11:14
OOh I wonder if it's the same one though. It's on 3 times. One of them has the same date and parents but says the baptism was at Overton, Lancaster.

I don't know the area at all.

Just looked at Google maps. Overton and Scotforth are about 7 miles apart.

Margaret in Burton
10-09-10, 11:15
Yes, it is, but it shows residence as Lancaster! How annoying! If they are going to show residence on the index they could at least transcribe what it actually says on the record! It's ridiculous, because although it shows residence as Lancaster on the list of matches, when you click to view the full transcription of the record it doesn't even show residence!

Yes, it's also annoying when they haven't transcribed the names of the churches either.

kiterunner
10-09-10, 11:33
Mind you, Edmund and Ellen's marriage certificate doesn't give the name of the church! I had to get that from Lancashire BMD, lol.

Margaret in Burton
10-09-10, 11:43
Mind you, Edmund and Ellen's marriage certificate doesn't give the name of the church! I had to get that from Lancashire BMD, lol.

I've had some like that, usually says The Parish Church of...............

kiterunner
10-09-10, 11:47
I mean at the top of the certificate.

It says 18__ Marriage solemnized at _________ in the _______ of _________ in the County of _________

And yes, it just says the Parish Church at the bottom.

Margaret in Burton
10-09-10, 12:35
Usually means there was only one church there at that time.