PDA

View Full Version : Problem with will

ElizabethHerts
10-09-10, 10:04
I have the will for Thomas Daddow of St Blazey, a blacksmith. The will is dated 1743.

I have deciphered most of it. It is written in "Items" and is great because it names all Thomas' children and their spouses.

I have a problem with one paragraph, relating to his son William.

So far I have something like this:

Item I give to my son William Daddow one Deal in ten in a stream work called Higher / and three pounds in money but not to have the tin galen nor the said stream work till after Micklemas Return and to work in the same till the Return and to have his Deal with the said Return be made and the / to be paid at the end of twenty days after my Decease

I'll try to post the relevant passage. It might take a while as I always have problems with scanning and posting!

ElizabethHerts
10-09-10, 10:44
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/lambelizabeth/scan0002-1.jpg

Any help anyone could give would be very welcome.:)

The passage begins with the third "Item".

ElizabethHerts
10-09-10, 10:46
I should say if someone knows how I can make it bigger, I shall do so!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/lambelizabeth/scan0002-1-1-1.jpg

Margaret in Burton
10-09-10, 10:52
Can you edit it on Photobucket and enlarge it before you post it on here?

ElizabethHerts
10-09-10, 10:54
Marg, I just found out how to do it, after some trial and error! It doesn't look particularly clear, though.

ElizabethHerts
10-09-10, 11:09
I think one phrase is "after Micklemas (sic) Return".

The phrase comes up once by googling.

Phoenix
10-09-10, 11:34
Item I give to my son William Daddow one Deale in tin in a streene? work called Higher / and three pounds in money but not to have the tin galen? nor the said / work till after Micklemas Return and to work in the same till the Return and to have his fuel till the said Return be made and the /three pounds to be paid at the end of twenty days after my Decease

Phoenix
10-09-10, 11:36
If he were smelting ore, he would probably need fuel to do so. Isn't galena an ore of tin? I think of lodes, rather than deals to describe the ore, but it might be a local term.

ElizabethHerts
10-09-10, 11:38
Phoenix, I think you are on the right lines.

I googled "stream work" and it seems to be a term in tin mining:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentewan

"Tin mining
'Happy-Union', a stream work for tin, was opened near Pentewan in 1780 and was worked down the valley towards the sea. A second working, 'Wheal Virgin', went up the valley. The tin streamers considered both to be places where "the old men had been", since they uncovered charcoal ashes, human remains, and bones of animals "of a different description from any now known in Britain".[8] The Happy-Union closed in 1837, Wheal Virgin around 1874.[2]"

kiterunner
10-09-10, 11:40
I think it might be one Deale in ten rather than tin.

Phoenix
10-09-10, 11:47
I'd certainly agree that word is ten. I'd assumed that if it were a tenth, he'd have given the rest to other family members, but he probably only had a tenth part in the first place.

ElizabethHerts
10-09-10, 11:54
William was the youngest of the three sons, and there were also five daughters, one of whom died. The eldest son, John, was my ancestor and he inherited the blacksmith business.

Many thanks for the help - once you decide on a word it is difficult to see it differently.
The rest of the will I could decipher but this section had vocabulary I didn't know!

Nearly there now.

ElizabethHerts
10-09-10, 12:22
This link is most informative:

http://www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/mines/st-austell/great-crinnis.htm

Note the reference to "galena".

The landowners around St Blazey and St Austell were the Carlyons and Thomas Daddow's great-grandaughter Elizabeth Daddow married THomas Quintrell - whose father Henry Quintrell was bailiff or hind for the Carlyons. He and his wife lived at Crinnis.

They are all my ancestors.

ElizabethHerts
10-09-10, 12:27
It almost looks like "northern" after "Higher" but after that I can't figure out the word beginning with "t".

kiterunner
10-09-10, 14:34
Could it be Tye?

ElizabethHerts
10-09-10, 14:49
Could it be Tye?

That's what it looks like, Kate.