PDA

View Full Version : Martha Massey

Phoenix
07-09-10, 17:52
Martha Massey married John Golding in Camberwell in 1813 and had several children baptised in Stepney.

Elizabeth Frances Massey married James Boutle in Camberwell in 1814 and also moved north of the river. I suspect the other Boutle marriage on the same day was her brother.

Martha says she was born in Wiltshire on the censuses. Elizabeth doesn't!

Could sks look at the witnesses, to see whether these women might be sisters, or if it's just a huge coincidence?

Merry
07-09-10, 18:16
Martha's witnesses were William Barton and Ann Golding X her mark. Martha's sig is Masey not Massey.

Eliz Frances' witnesses are Elizabeth Massey X her mark and someone who may be a Boutle but has left off the end of the word!

The same two witnesses have witnessed Thomas Henry Massey marrying Mary Boutle on the same day.

Merry
07-09-10, 18:18
All were by banns.

Phoenix
08-09-10, 08:50
Thanks, Merry!
I got excited when I saw that Martha had daughters Elizabeth and Frances, but I suspect this is just the popular names of the period.
I think Elizabeth and her brother married on the same day to another brother and sister. Not only the day and their witnesses, but they were living in the same street when some of their children were baptised, on the same day, several years later.