PDA

View Full Version : False Address noted on Marriage Cert

vallee
07-09-10, 11:31
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1623&iid=31280_197566-00023&fn=Emily&ln=Bowers&st=r&ssrc=pt_t6737403_p116287901_kpidz0q3d116287901z0q2 6pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgPLz0q3dpid&pid=6794666

Emily Bowers and Alfred Weston

I was surprised to see False address written on this cert and at the side the words Grandmother present Both Parents dead for the Bride, and Father present for the Groom

Who would have known it was a false address and why would those things have been mentioned

Merry
07-09-10, 12:35
It sounds as if some indignant relative came to the vicar to complain he had married two minors without getting the consent of the person complaining. Maybe they felt they were nok and so the vicar showed them the register and wrote in it that the father and grandmother were present (I guess they are the witnesses) in case anything more should be made of it later. Possibly the complainant stabbed at the register and exclaimed "and that's a false address too"!!

vallee
07-09-10, 15:17
thanks Merry very odd.

garstonite
08-09-10, 08:16
my g grandparents had the SAME address in Garston on their Marriage cert...even though the wife lived in Edge Hill...we know that for a fact...any reason for that Merry ?....allan

Olde Crone
08-09-10, 08:23
Allan

To save the cost and trouble of having the banns read in two separate parishes, I expect.

When I married the first time, my husband's address and my address appear to be the same. They weren't - our mums would have killed us, lol. It was just to save the nuisance of having to pay for banns in two parishes.

OC

Margaret in Burton
08-09-10, 09:25
My address is false on my marriage cert. I thought I was in the parish for the church I wanted to get married at, same one daughter married at last Saturday, but it seemed that the parish border went down the middle of the road and I was on the wrong side of it.
The vicar asked if I knew anyone who did live in that parish and I said my grandfather. So, my address on the cert is my grandfathers.

A funny thing happened though, the vicar we had seen when we arranged the wedding moved to another parish before we married and we had a temporary one who was a bit of a stickler for rules. He knocked on grandads door and asked if I was there. Grandad said I was out. The vicar then asked if I really lived there. Grandad said, "I may be old but I'm not senile, of course she bl**dy lives here" :eek::D

Luckily this vicar was on holiday when we married and we had a replacement who was lovely.

Emma managed to get married there as the rules have changed now. She was baptised there so no problem with false addresses. She did have a winge about two sets of banns though and the price. Of course the banns had to be read in their parish as well.

garstonite
08-09-10, 10:13
Allan

To save the cost and trouble of having the banns read in two separate parishes, I expect.

When I married the first time, my husband's address and my address appear to be the same. They weren't - our mums would have killed us, lol. It was just to save the nuisance of having to pay for banns in two parishes.

OC

So simple really...MONEY ...LOL..thanks OC....allan:)

Langley Vale Sue
08-09-10, 10:46
The address given for my OH & me on our marriage certificate is the same - but it was neither of ours address :eek: It was the address of one of my great aunts and the same address that appears for both my Mum & Dad on their marriage certificate exactly 23 years before ours when my Great Grandma lived there!

I was baptised in that church (no problems with parish boundaries for baptisms) by the same vicar that married my parents. When OH & I decided to get married we thought it would be lovely to be married on my Mum & Dad's anniversary and in the same church. The vicar agreed and asked if we knew anyone that lived in the parish. Lo & behold Great Auntie C still lived in the same house :) :)

Sue at the seaside
08-09-10, 15:16
Val, I've been trying to track down where they lived prior to the marriage, with not a lot of luck! do you have them in 1871 and 1881 census (hopefully together just after the wedding!)

Sue

vallee
08-09-10, 19:39
Thanks for trying Sue
in 1871 Alfred is with his parents in 3 Staple Inn Buildings Holborn
in 1871 Emily is with her widowed mother in 35 Iron Square ??? Bethnal Green
in 1881 interestingly they are in 35 Iron Square Bethnal Green without Emilys Mother

vallee
08-09-10, 19:46
found 21 Crozier Terrace Hackney it does exist

Muggins in Sussex
08-09-10, 21:01
Just Googled and found this, Val http://www.ennever.com/getperson.php?personID=I6677&tree=Ennever1 - not sure if it's any help!:confused:

maggie_4_7
08-09-10, 21:13
found 21 Crozier Terrace Hackney it does exist

I haven't quite understood the connection are they your family sorry?

I'd offer to take a photo but there aren't any houses left in that road only the pub on the corner and then the housing estate!

There aren't any original houses there

Kit
09-09-10, 03:59
The signatures for the witnesses look to be wrong too. It seems as though the bride and groom wrote their names where they should have signed and then signed where the witnesses should have. Unless both the witnesses and the bride/groom had the same name.

Merry
09-09-10, 05:49
I can't think they would have got away with that, Toni! I thought maybe the witnesses were the father and grandmother of the (un)happy couple, or at least they said that's who they were!!

That info you found looks very interesting, Muggins!

kiterunner
09-09-10, 08:23
The Emily Bowers who was a witness made her mark, while bride Emily signed her name, and the two Alfred Weston signatures are quite different from each other, so I think you're right, Merry.

vallee
09-09-10, 11:09
thanks everyone and especially you Joan am looking into that, yes Maggie they are mine nice of you to offer.

Sue at the seaside
09-09-10, 12:21
That link Muggins has posted is fascinating! I was just wondering if they had been living in the right area to be married at St Barnabas's anyway, seems unlikely from the other addresses we have, not quite the right "neck of the woods" at all.
I'm with Maggie about the house no longer existing, it's about a year since I've been there, but used to walk past the end of the road often.
Sue

vallee
09-09-10, 14:55
found a lot about that couple since this morning including her mothers surname and the fathers death , not found the mothers yet ?? and the person in the link has her tree on Ancestry,so may email her