PDA

View Full Version : Civil partnership problem!

Sue at the seaside
06-09-10, 15:12
I was really pleased that my new FTM accommodates same sex partnerships, as I needed it. I entered both Ladies, and added their children. I foolishly assumed the new surname that the family use was my niece's partner's surname. It is a name from somewhere in her past (GGGrandmother I think)

How on earth should this be recorded? obviously the children have been registered with the new name, but at first (and second) glance it bears no relationship to their mothers!

Any ideas??

Sue

Merry
06-09-10, 15:31
So the registration of the children with the ancestral name is a re-registration?

I think I have always added people to my tree with the original birth name where appropriate. In this case I would add them with their original names and add an additional surname with an explanation of why they were re-registered. On my tree program this then means whichever name I search for them by, they will be found! However, I don't use FTM.

kiterunner
06-09-10, 15:38
Can't you just change her surname on your tree to the correct one?

Sue at the seaside
06-09-10, 16:02
As far as I could gather, the civil partnership happened, the 2 ladies then changed their names to the new name. When the children were born they were registered with the surname now being used by their mothers! so not a re registration.
I suppose as we by convention always use peoples birth names this will be 2 parents with 2 different birth surnames, as is usual. And children with a totally different one.
I suppose I can add an "event" of name change for the ladies.
How will this all work on the census, no wonder we can't always find people if the just change names at the drop of a hat!

Sue

Lindsay
07-09-10, 14:00
Is there an 'also known as' option on your FTM?

I have FTM 2009 but have never needed to look for that!

Kit
09-09-10, 04:02
there is on ftm 2008. it is just under the original name.

Sue at the seaside
09-09-10, 19:09
Thanks for all the input, off to play !