PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk knowledge please

lozaras
06-09-10, 09:50
>I have ancestors from Tuttingham (as spelt in a will)
I have had a contact today which has made me look more closely at all my info for this line, and it seems that the village is also known as Tuttington Can anyone confirm that? I've looked at google maps and the villages seem to be in the same place :o

>In 1760-ish would a family from Tuttington/ham be likely to have christened their children at Lammas With Little Hautbois?
>Is it worth trying at Banningham?

>Another question - IGI related:
- I found references with batch number I073880; it doesn't say whether it's extracted or submitted - can I assume it's extracted?? *hopeful look*

kiterunner
06-09-10, 10:18
I seem to remember those I batches are taken from some secondary source such as a printed index, so kind of extracted but not directly from the PR's.

*off to check the geography...*

kiterunner
06-09-10, 10:21
Yes, looking at the map, Lamas, Little Hautbois and Banningham are all near Tuttington, and GENUKI seems to suggest that Tuttingham is an alternative name for Tuttington.

lozaras
06-09-10, 10:36
Thanks Kate :)

Phoenix
06-09-10, 15:41
Virtually all Norfolk entries have been from secondary sources on the IGI - though this doubtless will change very soon when the pilot site records are transcribed.

Norfolk people swallow the ends of their words, so some places are very difficult to recognise. And their pronunciation is unique. I think that Hautbois is said Hobby!

lozaras
06-09-10, 19:50
Thanks Phoenix,

Yes, the googling I did today told me that Hautbois is pronounced hobbis

Their pronunciation is unique What a polite way to say it. ;) :D