PDA

View Full Version : Wade of Halifax

rachelagourakis
03-09-10, 15:42
I am trying to trace back on the Wade side of my family

Josiah Wade 1842 to 1908 he was mayor of Halifax for a short time
he also invented the Arab Printing Press.

Josiah's parents were:

Joseph Wade 1809 to 1847 he is on 1841 census
Hannah Whitaker 1811 to 1873

I think Joseph's parents could have been:

William Wade 1762
Sarah Horsfall 1766

The information has come mainly from Family Search - I would like to find any siblings for Joseph Wade and to trace the Wade side futher back - possibly to Cybil or Cibella Wade of Heptonstall!!!

Rachel

Merry
03-09-10, 20:03
Presumably, as Joseph didn't live until 1851, you don't actually know where he was born, other than that is was probably in Yorkshire?

I wonder if his prospective father, William, left a will that might name Joseph as one of his beneficiaries? I think there are a lot of Yorkshire wills on the British Origins website http://www.originsnetwork.com/Welcome.aspx which might help you.

Should they turn out to be the right people, here are some possible siblings for Joseph:

1. SARAH WADE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 09 FEB 1806 Wadsworth By Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire, England

2. HANNAH WADE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 21 MAR 1803 Wadsworth By Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire, England

3. MARTHA WADE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 25 DEC 1811 Wadsworth By Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire, England

4. WILLIAM WADE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: 26 SEP 1807 Wadsworth By Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire, England

5. THOMAS WADE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: 04 OCT 1813 Wadsworth By Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire, England

6. SUSANNA WADE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 11 FEB 1802 Wadsworth By Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire, England

7. SUSANNA WADE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 22 SEP 1804 Wadsworth By Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire, England

Hebden Bridge is in the townships of Heptonstall and Wadsworth, and the parish of Halifax.

kiterunner
03-09-10, 22:44
This site has some info about the family although of course you would need to check it:
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~calderdalecompanion/w.html

According to that site, Joseph and Hannah's first child was called William, which does suggest that Joseph's father would be a William.

I agree it would be a good idea to look for wills that might confirm the relationships. Also if you can get a look at the parish register entries for the marriages and baptisms of the family it might help because the baptisms after 1813, for instance, should give residence and occupation of father, and the marriages will give names of witnesses.

rachelagourakis
04-09-10, 09:18
Yes first child was William and second was Sarah, so she could have been named after her grandmother?

I have been in contact with the website "Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion" hosted on rootsweb and I have provided some of the information!

I will go back to the IGI

Thanks

rachelagourakis
07-09-10, 14:03
I found another two, John Wade 7 Aug 1796 and Molly Wade 7 Dec 1798. So if William Wade and Hannah married in 1795 that would make sense that they had a child born in 1796 - how do I go about proving that the parents are William Wade and Sarah Horsfall?

Thanks

Rachel

Merry
07-09-10, 17:23
how do I go about proving that the parents are William Wade and Sarah Horsfall?

Have you tried the Yorkshire Wills Index?

rachelagourakis
08-09-10, 10:50
How do I access that - I subscribe to Ancestry, and have looked at the probate records there, but there are quite a few for William Wade!

Merry
08-09-10, 12:43
Most of the probate stuff on Ancestry is post 1858. The Yorkshire Wills database is on British Origins:

I think there are a lot of Yorkshire wills on the British Origins website http://www.originsnetwork.com/Welcome.aspx which might help you.

But I've never used it, not having any Yorkshire relatives!

rachelagourakis
23-09-10, 10:11
I ordered the marriage certificate for Joseph Wade to Hannah Whitaker, the only information I obtained were the two witness names Ambrose Greenwood and John Wade.

I did locate a possible John Wade as a brother to Joseph, but I looked at Ambrose as it is a more unusual name and located a marriage to Hannah Wade (possible sister of Joseph) on 13 Feb 1831.

I tried to order a birth certificate for Joseph Wade using the birth date on Family Search (IGI) but unfortunately my contact at West Yorkshire Archives has not been able to locate it in the parish register. Apparantly this is not unusual as often the information to Family Search has been submitted by a family researcher and can be inaccurate, or the source information unreliable??!!

So although Joseph Wade was married at Heptonstall, maybe his birth record is located at another parish?

I have now ordered the marriage record for his potential parents, William Wade and Sarah Horsfall, which record they do have at WYAS and hope to get more clues from that!

Does anyone have any ideas how I could locate Joseph Wade's birth, which I had as 19 May 1809?

Rachel

Merry
23-09-10, 10:59
I just looked again for the birth/bap for Joseph in 1809 and found an entry for with the date you mentioned. This entry says it is 'submitted' which means as the archivist mentioned, it may not have come from a reliable source.

However, the baptisms I mentioned in #2 of this thread are all 'extracted' entries (same date given), which mean they should have come from the parish records or BTs etc and are usually reasonably reliable (obviously nothing is 100% reliable! lol)

Anyway, Hannah Greenwood, wife of Ambrose appears on the 1851 and 1871 censuses and her birth details are given as around 1803 at Wadsworth, which fits well with the bap details for Hannah Wade in post #2 here.

Did the archivist just look for Joseph or did he/she have that list of entries? I'm wondering if there are several churches in that little area and the right register hasn't yet been examined?

EDIT to say, I didn't post the extracted baptism for Joseph in post #2 because I was just posting possible siblings, but there is one for him with the same date as was given for his birth (rather than his baptism) in your original post.

rachelagourakis
23-09-10, 11:05
That's a good point, I only gave him Joseph so I will contact again with the others and see if anything can be found! Thank you!!

Merry
23-09-10, 11:14
When I click on the Printout Call number under the bap entry (the extracted one) it says:

Computer printout of Heptonstall, Ebenezer Particular Baptist, Yorks., Eng

Don't know if this helps?

Merry
23-09-10, 11:16
Oh, I am stupid!!

I didn't look properly at the stuff I posted in #2 and had I done so I would have noticed they were births and not baptisms! As they are extracted (ie likely to be correct) and births not baps then it's highly likely to be entries from a non-conformist record and not the C of E.

I have made the assumption that the person who put up the submitted entries had mistakenly put the baptism dates in the wrong field, but assumptions are dangerous things!! lol

rachelagourakis
23-09-10, 12:52
I have emailed WYAS to see if they hold these records, hopefully getting there!

Thanks for your help!

Rachel

rachelagourakis
23-09-10, 13:19
Just had a call from WYAS in response to my email and they have found the birth record for Joseph Wade in Ebenezer records and sending it to me!!!!!!!

Thank you :-)

Merry
23-09-10, 15:25
Hooray!! lol

kiterunner
24-09-10, 16:46
Rachel, it might be worth having a look at the parish records on findmypast as they have just added some stuff from the Hebden Bridge area.

ElizabethHerts
24-09-10, 16:58
Hi Rachel, KiteRunner has beaten me to it but Calderdale FH Society have had some records added to FMP.

I have just found another Jackson burial at Heptonstall and can now send for the death certificate as it is my 4xgt grandmother Betty who died in 1839!

rachelagourakis
25-09-10, 10:13
Excellent, I'll have a look at those records Calderdale and FMP.

It seems though that on the Wade side they were non conformists and whilst they married in parish churches, the births/christenings were not recorded there!

The Marriage certificate for William Wade and Sarah Horsfall (m 1795) was witnessed by another William Wade (presumably his father?) and there are hundreds of them!

Have you been back to Heptonstall Elizabeth? Where did you find the burial?

Rachel

ElizabethHerts
25-09-10, 10:19
Have you been back to Heptonstall Elizabeth? Where did you find the burial?

Rachel

Rachel, I found the burial on FMP yesterday. The reason I can reasonably safely say it is my Betty Jackson is that it ties up with the burial for Thomas Jackson, her husband:

From FMP:

Parish Records Collection 1538-2005 burial
Forenames: Thomas
Surname: JACKSON
Abode: Hebden Bridge, Heptonstall
Day: 12 Month: Oct Year: 1825
Place: Heptonstall
Dedication: St Thomas County: Yorkshire West Riding
Record source: Halifax District Burials
Data provider: Calderdale Family History Society

Parish Records Collection 1538-2005 burial
Forenames: Betty
Surname: JACKSON
Abode: Hebden Bridge Heptonstall
Day: 6 Month: Nov
Year: 1839
Relationship: Widowed Relative Forenames: Relative Surname:
Place: Heptonstall
Dedication: St Thomas
County: Yorkshire West Riding
Checked: Y Notes: Registry No: 1479
Record source: Halifax District Burials
Data provider: Calderdale Family History Society

You will notice that it tells you where they lived - not Heptonstall itself but Hebden Bridge.

I then found the death registration:
Deaths Dec 1839
Jackson Betty Todmorden 21 525

I'll send for the death certificate over the weekend.

I haven't been back to Heptonstall, Rachel, but hope to sometime.

ElizabethHerts
25-09-10, 10:46
Hi Rachel, I found a link on my favourites bar that I had forgotten about!

http://www.hebdenbridgehistory.org.uk/docs/Heptonstall-church-inscriptions-2008.pdf

I found this on page 68:

D15/19.
Mary Wade, died
Oct.27th. 1809.
aged 2 years.
Also John,Wade, died
September 24th, 1817th,
aged 82 years.
Also of Frances, the Wife
of John Wade, who died
May 19th, 1818. aged 42
years
Also in Memory of /
James Wade,
Stephenson House
Mytholmroyd.
born June 27th. 1812.
died May 7th, 1903.
"At Rest".

I think there is another one somewhere! I don't know whether this is your family but there might be a link.

rachelagourakis
25-09-10, 17:42
Thanks Elizabeth, I shall investigate!!

rachelagourakis
05-10-10, 12:08
OK - I'm stuck now!

I have Joseph Wade's birth record (Ebenezer Baptist records) and it shows his parents as being William Wade and Sarah. I already had guessed that his parents were William Wade and Sarah Horsfall, but the record does't mention the mother's maiden name.

How do I prove his parentage and how do I move further back??

Any advice much appreciated!!

Rachel

kiterunner
05-10-10, 14:13
If you can get some wills relating to the family, hopefully they will mention Joseph.