PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree Maker 2010

BlueSavannah
31-08-10, 17:42
Hi All

I apologise if this is on the wrong board. I need to purchase a new tree maker programme (I previously had Ancestry's family tree maker 2008 and hated it). I have seen that Ancestry have a 2010 version which is currently priced at £27.99.

Does anyone have this and would you recommend it? Are there other programmes around the same price (or cheaper :d) that is better?

I would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

borobabs
31-08-10, 20:20
Clare yes have it and not to impressed , it seems very cluncky but does store images you save etc but when doing a gedcom from it , it doesnt save them ;;
I still used my FTM 2006 and find its the better one , you can sumetimes get these from a fiver google it and see what comes up for it

Margaret in Burton
31-08-10, 20:39
Babs

Gedcom is text only so won't save images on any program.

I'm getting used to it. I had to, upgraded to Windows 7 and FTM 2006 doesn't work properly on that.

I prefer 2006, but managed to get used to 2010 whilst doing my cousin's tree. It's just different that's all.

borobabs
31-08-10, 20:42
I find it very slow on mine Marg ;;; I suppose we will have to wait till Clare lets us know what system she is using then

BlueSavannah
31-08-10, 20:49
Hi Both

Ive got Windows Vista on my machine. Hubby wants to upgrade it to Windows 7 but not sure my laptop supports that.

Would the 2006 ftm work on my version of windows if i googled for one?

Margaret in Burton
31-08-10, 21:00
Vista works with 2006. You have to download a patch. Unfortunately the patch doesn't work on Windows 7

BlueSavannah
31-08-10, 21:07
ah thanks for that Marg. Will look at the 2006 and if anyone is selling it. Failing that, I might have to give 2010 ago.

Margaret in Burton
31-08-10, 21:09
Try TWR Computing

They are very reasonable pricewise

BlueSavannah
31-08-10, 21:12
I will take a look at them, need to get some software asap, have only got my online tree at moment.

Sabrina
31-08-10, 21:30
Claire, I would recommend Family Historian. It is slightly more expensive, but I love it. You can use it at many different levels. It is a British product and there is a very helpful user group forum if you need any help. You can have a 30 day trial to see if you like it before committing yourself to buy. If you do decide to try it, please visit the FHUG Forum and download Ancestral Sources. This is a fantastic free add-on program which helps you to enter census information and was the icing on the cake as far as I was concerned!

borobabs
31-08-10, 21:33
Sorry got side tracked but see Marg has filled you in there is also Genealogy suppliers as well

Uncle John
31-08-10, 21:35
I bought FTM 2010 on one of the offers to get 6 months free Ancestry. I've migrated my tree from FTM 2005 and find it runs a lot slower. It has lots of bells and whistles such as maps, which use up a lot more memory and processing power. I'm still using FTM 2005 to do look-ups.

BlueSavannah
01-09-10, 07:54
Morning All

Thanks again for all your advise. Alot of what you said about the 2010 version is what I didnt like about 2008. I will look at the option Sabrina mentioned and the earlier option of the 2006 version.

Thanks again

borobabs
01-09-10, 10:30
Morning All

Thanks again for all your advise. Alot of what you said about the 2010 version is what I didnt like about 2008. I will look at the option Sabrina mentioned and the earlier option of the 2006 version.

Thanks again

Clare thats going to be my next up grade as well you can download a free trial version of it as well ;;

BlueSavannah
01-09-10, 10:41
Ive taken a look at the tour on the family historian website and it looks really good. I am going to download the free trial when I get home and see what I think. I will probably end up buying the package after :)

JBee
05-09-10, 14:15
I bought FTM 2010 half price with 6 months worldwide ancestry - to be honest this was my first programme and I don't really like it. Ended up exporting gedcom to tribal pages to print stuff off.

Sub has now run out but I bought 2 so when I get myself organised will upload the other one for another 6 months sub.(hopefully).

Guinevere
05-09-10, 15:23
Ditto what Babs said.

I have 2010 but am struggling with it. I much prefer 2006.

I run both of them on this Windows 7 PC.

Sue from Southend
05-09-10, 15:28
I've been thinking of upgarding my FTM from 2006 - but you've all put me off!

However I've had a look at the Family Historian site and must admit that it looks pretty good. How easy it to swap from one program to another? Obviously the Gedcom bit is OK but do you have to put all the sources etc in again? If so I don't think I'll bother :rolleyes:

Sabrina
05-09-10, 16:02
Obviously the Gedcom bit is OK but do you have to put all the sources etc in again?

The sources should be exported with your Gedcom. When I was looking to change software I made a copy of my Gedcom and used the copy in the programs I was trying out. That way you can always go back to the original if necessary.

Sue from Southend
05-09-10, 16:28
The sources should be exported with your Gedcom. When I was looking to change software I made a copy of my Gedcom and used the copy in the programs I was trying out. That way you can always go back to the original if necessary.

Now why didn't I think of that? :o :d

Sabrina
05-09-10, 17:39
lol Sue - well it's not something you do every day is it?! :d

How easy it to swap from one program to another?

I found it really easy to swap to Family Historian, although not from FTM I must admit.

Uncle John
05-09-10, 17:40
I'm persevering with FTM 2010. I'm currently going through all the events data and separating it into Place and Description, which are now separate fields. I've been at this task for a few weeks now, but nearing the end hopefully.

But I'm still using FTM 2005 for lookups because it runs much quicker.