PDA

View Full Version : Help deciphering handwriting please

kiterunner
31-08-10, 17:27
On the attached Andrews newspaper index card.

I can read it apart from a couple of words:

Temple surveyor - Chas Hy Andrew 45 Olive Rd Cricklewood secretary
Cert of delay - High Court did not ???? ???? 1923 give leave to assume that woman who resided at 64 Weir Street Belfast & died on 29-7-1918 was the said Alice Queenie Bristow.

Any ideas on the ???? ???? please?

Olde Crone
31-08-10, 17:43
I'm reading it as "Did not TILL MARCH 1923"

OC

kiterunner
31-08-10, 17:56
Of course! Thanks, OC. I kept thinking that first word was "tell" and couldn't make it make sense!

I got the letter of administration a few years ago and I wrote back to the probate office asking whether the next of kin would have had to produce some evidence to prove that the death certificate was for the right person, given that the middle name, age, and name and occupation of husband were all different from what they should be, and the address was nowhere near where she had lived with her husband, and they replied saying that all he would have had to do was to swear that it was her death certificate. I'm glad to see at last that it didn't quite work like that, and he had to wait a few years for the court to give him leave to assume it was her.

Olde Crone
31-08-10, 19:07
Oh, that's interesting and also reassuring that the Courts don't just rubber stamp things but act with due caution.

OC

kiterunner
31-08-10, 19:13
Shame the probate registry couldn't have told me that in the first place, though.