PDA

View Full Version : Confused!

Sue from Southend
29-08-10, 14:29
Just found this

"Poor Law Abstracts 1742-1868

11 Jan 1810 Deborah w William Tomlinson of 23 Grays Inn Lane, shoemaker and Rebecca Underhayes re latter's settlement. DT aged 53 knew William Underhayes (dead) who born in the old workhouse of Yeovil, Somerset and Elizabeth Underhayes his mother died there at the birth and William later married Rebecca. Rebecca says she married at Christ Church London 10 Aug 1788 and has 4 ch. Mary Underhayes 14, William Underhayes 11, Martha Underhayes 8 and Maria Underhayes 16 mos. William has deserted her 10 Jan.
[St Sepulchre, Entry No 1508; GL Ms 9095/9] "

William and Rebecca are my 4x gt grandparents. Before this all I've found are baptism records of the children. This abstract seems to say that a) William is dead and that he has b) also deserted Rebecca! So is she claiming settlement because she's been widowed or because she's been deserted??:confused:

kiterunner
29-08-10, 15:43
Maybe it's a mistranscripton, but I suppose you would need to see the original document to find that out.

Sue from Southend
29-08-10, 16:02
Hmmm, methinks a trip to Guildhall is needed! The marriage doesn't show on the LMA records either so I need to look at that too, to get Rebecca's maiden name.

Can't believe I've got a lead on this family after all this time!

Mind you, I can't find William's birth in Yeovil now....

Thanks Kite.