PDA

View Full Version : Tracing Weigold family back to Germany

Angelfirenine
29-08-10, 12:26
Hi. I'm just starting out on what I know will be a long journey of family history but would be really grateful for any advice on how to trace my family's immigration route to the UK in the 1880/90s - thanks Merry for the suggestion of posting.

The last record I have with certainty is the 1901 cencus showing the residents of The Cottage, Old Fishbourne, Bosham as:
WEIGOLD, George b1865 Germany
WEIGOLD, Florence b1870 New Cross

Also shown are their 3 children - Sydney (my grandfather b 1897 Holloway), Victor (b 1898 Old Ket Rd) and Alice (b1900 Sussex). George is shown as a 'journeyman baker' (1901) and 'baker's assistant' (1911) and I am assuming that he came over to London in the 1880/90s where he met his wife. The 1911 census shows them still in Sussex having had a further 4 children, with Florence listed as 'Married for 15 years' - so marriage must have been c1896.

That's as far as I can go as a novice so would really appreciate any advice on how to trace George's roots in Germany, any immigration resources that might confirm date of entry to UK etc.

Many thanks.

kiterunner
29-08-10, 16:00
Ideally you would Sydney's birth certificate to confirm his mother's name, then get George and Florence's marriage certificate.

Likely birth registration for Sydney:
Sidney George Weigold Apr-Jun 1897 Islington 1b p 177

Their marriage certificate is actually on ancestry, in the LMA records, so assuming that Sydney's birth cert gives mother's name as Florence Weigold, formerly Rayson:

Nov 12th 1896 St Paul, Upper Holloway, Islington
George Weigold 32, bachelor, baker, residence 26 Blenheim Road, father Andrew Weigold, coach builder,
Florence Rayson, 26, spinster, residence 69 Landseer Road, father Phillip Rayson, solicitor,
Witnesses Peter Zoller and Sarah E Watts.

Andrew is probably a translation of the father's name, not sure what it would be in German.

This must be George on the 1891 census:
22 Carnaby Street, Westminster
Philipp Zoller Head Mar 27 Baker Bavaria
(rest of his family, wife from Ireland, children from Bavaria)
Henry Schunker Serv S 29 Baker Germany
George Weygold Serv S 30 Do Do

I guess that means George didn't come from Bavaria but some other part of Germany. Can't see him on the 1881 census but he was probably still in Germany then.

There isn't much German stuff online yet but I'll have a look and see if I can find anything. Another problem I have found with my German line is that a lot of German names turn out to be very common and it's difficult to know if you find the right people, but fingers crossed that Weigold isn't one of those names!

kiterunner
29-08-10, 16:11
It looks as if the German version of Andrew might be Andreas.

I can't find anything else at the moment but will see if I can think of anything else later.

Angelfirenine
29-08-10, 18:52
KiteRunner - Thank you ever so much for your help. That is absolutely fantastic!

anne fraser
29-08-10, 20:05
The 1871 census has Florence Rayson one month living in Southwark with father Phillip mother Agnes and otherchildren Robert 10 and Alice 2. birth place given as Rotherhithe Surrey.

anne fraser
29-08-10, 20:10
This looks like the family in 1881 Agnes is a widow.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=/eng/search/ancestorsearchresults.asp

Fi aka Wheelie Spice
29-08-10, 21:00
Angelfirenine, i have sent you a private message :)

Angelfirenine
29-08-10, 21:27
Hi Fi - It was your post on this site that inspired me to think that tracing my family history was possible - many thanks. PM sent. Chris

Fi aka Wheelie Spice
29-08-10, 21:45
wahay! Angelfirenine and I are related by marriage! The first connection i have had on this site'

Georgette
30-08-10, 08:12
Oh! Congratulations Fi and Chris :)

HelenPoole
20-04-14, 10:30
Hope you are still there!

I am related to the above through his wife's line - Ethel Kathleen Weigold nee Arnold my first cousin twice removed. Her mother Elizabeth Arnold nee Poole the sister of my great grandfather Edward Poole. Would love to swap info on all shared families.

Guess where I live? Fishbourne!

Best
Helen

tenterfieldjulie
20-04-14, 11:56
Way to go ladies .. another connection ... Fi will be rapt .. Wonderful news Helen. Welcome to GF.

garstonite
21-04-14, 07:47
I love to read connections like this - great news and welcome to GF Helen - what a great start for you ...
enjoy the site