PDA

View Full Version : Savage in Garston 1891 /1901/1911

garstonite
29-08-10, 08:24
I have had contact from a descendant of John Savage residing in 12 James Street ,Garston, Liverpool in the 1881 census...John married Margaret Cross in 1880

In 1898 Margaret is a widow of Ellis Jackson and still in James St in the chippy/cafe....so obviously between 1881-1898 both John Savage and Ellis Jackson have died....

My grandads younger sister Ruth Oakes married Herbert Savage here in Garston and three of their children are still alive ...the eldest being born in 1932 here in Garston....I have Herbert Savage born 1906 in Garston in my tree...I am trying to find out if one of John Savage and Margarets children are the parent of Herbert Savage....
so can anyone tell me the children of John and Margaret in the 1891 census
if any of these children are still with Margaret Jackson /Savage in the 1901 census...and how can I find the parents of Herbert Savage in the 1911 census to see if there is a match .......thanks...allan:)

garstonite
29-08-10, 08:30
It looks like John Savage died in 1888 aged 27
Ellis Jackson married Margaret Savage in dec qtr in St Peters church Liverpool City Centre 1898....so the info I was given is wrong...I was told she was a widow of Ellis Jackson in 1898...
so in 1901 is Margaret with Ellis Jackson and her children ?...she didn`t marry Ellis until 10 years after her 1st husband died .so she would be about 36 when she married Ellis, still young enough to have children to Ellis .......allan

Merry
29-08-10, 08:35
Firstly, Herbert's parents seem to be Frank H Savage and Eliza aged 33 and 25 respectively in 1911.

Merry
29-08-10, 08:37
In 1898 Margaret is a widow of Ellis Jackson and still in James St in the chippy/cafe....so obviously between 1881-1898 both John Savage and Ellis Jackson have died....

Erm, no that's not right

Marriages Dec 1898

Jackson Ellis Liverpool 8b 32
Murray Jane Liverpool 8b 32
OLDKNOW James Liverpool 8b 32
SAVAGE Margaret Liverpool 8b 32

Merry
29-08-10, 08:42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like John Savage died in 1888 aged 27

He wa 25 in 1881.

Merry
29-08-10, 08:45
In 1891 John and Marg arestill together and children are Sam, Sarah, Mary and another girl.

Merry
29-08-10, 08:48
Frank H Savage was b Garston (1911 census) and in 1891 he would appear to be the son of James and Sarah A Savage living at 31 Raglan St Garston.

garstonite
29-08-10, 08:48
Thanks Merry...I have just found the marriage....I am only passing on the info I received this morning...this lady has said she is just beginning and I think she has got a little mixed up ....
Well I didn`t have Herberts parents in my tree ...that`s a nice bonus Merry ...thanks....all I am trying to do is see if John Savage in James St, Garston 1881 census , is related to Herbert b 1906 in Garston...if so , I will pass on the details to my dads cousin who is 78 and doing her tree....it will be a nice surprise for her...then these 2 ladies can swap family details...allan:)

Merry
29-08-10, 08:55
Frank's father was James Savage aged 40 in 1891 b (looks like) Aysmith, Liverpool, but I guess I can't read it! He's a painter and has a son James aged 15 and a dau Emma also in double figures (can't read it) to help you find them in 1881. The children are all b Garston.

garstonite
29-08-10, 08:57
Don`t I type slow....by the time I had typed the last post , you had replied 3 times....so..
Herbert b 1906 is NOT a grandson of John and Margaret....that`s relly what I was trying to Establish.....I will invite this lady onto GF and let her see this thread and she can then see if James Savage of Raglan St and John Savage of James St were siblings.......BTW these Streets are still there....130 years later....thanks for your help Merry....do you think it best to invite this lady onto GF , and then she can ask herself ?.....although Herbert Savage is in my tree , he is not my Direct relation...his wife Ruth Oakes is related.....allan:)

Merry
29-08-10, 09:01
Herbert b 1906 is NOT a grandson of John and Margaret....that`s relly what I was trying to Establish

No, I don't think he is. As you said, they might be related further back, but I guess it's a fairly common name in a populous area, so maybe not!

Yes, please ask her to join us by all means!

garstonite
29-08-10, 09:03
Frank's father was James Savage aged 40 in 1891 b (looks like) Aysmith, Liverpool, but I guess I can't read it! He's a painter and has a son James aged 15 and a dau Emma also in double figures (can't read it) to help you find them in 1881. The children are all b Garston.

found them in 1881 census..James is born in AIGBURTH ...the next town to Garston and they are in Argyle Rd ,Garston...no 66...and my gg grandfather was in 77 Argyle road in the 1871 census...a very small world...lol....thanks for all your help Merry....AGAIN...you`re a star....allan

archives 1
01-09-10, 16:52
Could it be the 'skeleton in the cupboard' may be that John Savage is illegitimate? I know my late father,also named John (Stephen)Savage started researching the Family Tree, stopped his searching on discovering 'skeletons in the cupboard.'

One very outstanding feature of the Savage family..mostly the male side is the dark features, from the photographs I have,plus information off a gentleman who knew the family well, of all the things Frank mentioned, one subject was. their dark features. Does this help any,Allan?

garstonite
01-09-10, 19:08
Without a doubt ...lol...look like Gypsies !!!!!....my cousin Bert died about 8 years ago and he had really dark features.....there has to be a connection somewhere.....allan:(

archives 1
01-09-10, 19:57
There IS Allan...I need to get my Savage family history notes out then, hopefully, I can tell you more on John Savage.
Throughout the family's history, several christian names are EXTREMELY prominent,of which,JOHN is one of the STRONGEST names.
At present,I do not have any photographs of my great grandparents, uncles or aunts,although I suspect, I recently received 3 or 4 photographs of ?-in-laws.
Will respond further by e-mail.