PDA

View Full Version : I need either help or a stiff drink.

HarrysMum
29-08-10, 06:42
Thanks to Merry.......lol......I have been into my Ariels again.

Can anyone make sense of this....

William Ariel married Elizabeth Kirkby (transcribed as Hinkley) in Bristol 1787.

So far I've found...

Ann Kirkby Ariel BURIED 31 Dec 1824 (no age given) Father.....William.

Ann Kirkby Ariel BURIED 9 Jan 1828 (no age given) Father....William.

Ann Kirkby Ariel MARRYING David Miller 5 Dec 1826. Father....William.

Ann Kikrby Ariel BAPTISED 13 Jan 1843 Father....William.

Now...I'm assuming Ann who got baptised is Ann who married David Miller as they were Baptists and often in adult female baptisms gave their maiden name.

Ann Kirkby Miller (nee Ariel) is still alive in 1833 and mentioned in her father's will, but I don't think that makes any difference to anything.

So...who are the first two Anns who die??? They can't be earlier children and the name re-used.

The Kirkby name only came into use in that generation. There is an odd burial for a William Ariel in 1826. No age so could possibly be father of one or two of the girls??? which would make Ann Kirkby MILLER their aunt???

Sorry this is so messy......blame Merry....lol

Kit
29-08-10, 06:57
I think I'll just pass you a stiff drink, or maybe drink it myself.

To throw a spanner in the works are there any other William Ariel's around who may have used the name Kirkby out of respect for the family, or Elizabeth, rather than being a descendant of William and Elizabeth?

If not the aunt idea sounds good. Being sleep deprived I can't think of anything else that makes sense, once I read it a second time.

HarrysMum
29-08-10, 07:07
Hi Kit...............I'm going to be sleep deprived soon as well....lol

The only son I have for William and Elizabeth Kirkby is Myles. He didn't have any Anns.

There is that other elusive William Ariel who dies in 1826 but that could even have been a generation further back.......

Hope you are all well....

Kit
29-08-10, 07:12
We are fine thanks, OH and I are very tired as bubs isn't sleeping well at night due to wind pain. It is slowly improving though.

Merry
29-08-10, 08:05
I shall be getting wind pain if I read any more! lol

What's the venue for those two burials of Ann Kirkby Ariel?

HarrysMum
29-08-10, 08:11
Thanks for asking that Merry.......you are soooo clever.

I had to look at the images and Will Ariel is actually Myles Ariel as their father and they were both babies.

So all is well. Ann Kirkby Ariel born 1805 married David Miller then in 1870 married Edward Drew.

Thanks again........lol

Merry
29-08-10, 08:12
So if the 1843 baptism is really Ann Kirkby Miller, then we have:

Name: Ann Kirkby Miller
Spouse Name: Edward Drew
Spouse Age: Full Age
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 3 Feb 1870
Parish: St Mark, St John's Wood
County: Middlesex
Borough: Westminster
Father Name: William Ariel
Spouse Father Name: James Drew

Name: Ann Kirkby Drew
Estimated birth year: abt 1805
Year of Registration: 1889
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at Death: 84
District: Hendon (1837-1947)
County: Middlesex
Volume: 3a
Page: 94

Merry
29-08-10, 08:14
Ooops, typing at the same time! lol

Merry
29-08-10, 08:16
Did Mrs David Miller not manage any children? Not very reproductive are they? (some of them - I know Agatha made up for it!)

HarrysMum
29-08-10, 08:20
Doesn't look like it......I've found her on all the census and there are only servants until her sister's kids come to stay. Her sister was another Agatha Ariel......she married an Evill. Agatha Evill sort of suits this lot.....lol

Merry
29-08-10, 08:23
lol I see an Evill nephew (pmsl!) was executor for Ann K Drew. Another will to buy?!

HarrysMum
29-08-10, 08:30
Yep...