PDA

View Full Version : Got my first set of Wills..... questions questions questions

samesizedfeet
27-08-10, 17:51
Paid a visit to Holborn Probate Office today with the lovely Georgette and got my first set of Wills :)

The Will for 4 x great grandfather George Alfred Hodson in 1869 is most interesting because he leaves everything to a lady who is not his wife and specifies the legacy will have to be given back:

"In consequence of her years of devotion and struggling with me, for her many acts of kindness and goodness to me in illness and in health the said Kate Kennedy to have and hold the same for her sole use and benefit but with the proviso that she does not marry again or cohabit with anyone but keeps herself strictly to herself during the remainder of her life"

I was aware of her existence before because she has a long theatrical partnership with George. They appear together regularly from the early 1860s. I would like to try and trace her a bit more now I know she was more than just a friend.

I have found her in Wales in 1871 census where I know (from Gale) she was the director at a theatre:
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1871wales&so=2&rank=0&gsfn=kat*&gsln=kenedy&sx=&=%2c%2c1%2c+%2c%2c%2c1%2c+&gs1co=1%2cAll+Countries&gs1pl=1%2c+&year=&yearend=&sbo=0&sbor=&srchb=r&prox=1&db=&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gss=angs-c

But I can't find her before this or after it. She disappears from the theatrical adverts/reviews on Gale a few years later and I can't spot anyone obviously her on any census.

If anyone has time to have a look I'd be very grateful.

Z
x

p.s. incidentally out of his estate of £300 he leaves £10 each to 2 of his daughters and to one of his sisters, nothing to his 3rd daughter on "account of her good fortune" and he also mentions a son called George which is a bit of a bombshell as that's the first I've heard of him!!

ElizabethHerts
27-08-10, 18:13
Zoe, don't you just love wills! (I'll have a better look in a mo.)

Joan of Archives
27-08-10, 18:28
"In consequence of her years of devotion and struggling with me, for her many acts of kindness and goodness to me in illness and in health the said Kate Kennedy to have and hold the same for her sole use and benefit but with the proviso that she does not marry again or cohabit with anyone but keeps herself strictly to herself during the remainder of her life"

Oooooo a will that is a paper chastity belt lol!! :d:d

I guess she must have Irish origins with a name like Kennedy or was that her stage name?

samesizedfeet
27-08-10, 18:51
Sorry chaps. My Internet at home appears to have died so I'm on my mobile phone.

Kate Kennedy could be a stage name but it's proving pretty difficult to google her.

kiterunner
27-08-10, 19:14
I guess she must have Irish origins with a name like Kennedy or was that her stage name?

Yes, on that 1871 census that Zoe found Kate is age 26 born Ireland.

samesizedfeet
27-08-10, 19:18
26!!!!! That bit didn't even register.

Let's hope she either died young or didn't stick to the terms of the Will then.
George was 47 when he died but they would gave been 39 and 16(!!!) when they started working together.

Sally
27-08-10, 19:43
Boy was he JEALOUS!!!! What a fantastic Will to have in your write up

anne fraser
27-08-10, 19:45
Now that is what I call an interesting will.

Joan of Archives
27-08-10, 20:42
Do you want me to try googling Kate Kennedy actress/floosie & see what I get? :rolleyes:

samesizedfeet
27-08-10, 20:46
sadly, there is a recent actress called Kate Kennedy it seems so it's nigh on impossible.

It's a bit like when I first found George's granddaughter Kate and her name looked like it said Hudson. Googling "Kate Hudson" and actress was a nightmare.

My internet finally came back on so I may be able to make some progress now