PDA

View Full Version : India again

kiterunner
23-08-10, 14:08
I had a bit of a breakthrough with the Indian branch of my tree at the weekend and got back a couple more generations, but of course now I want to get back even further. I've got back as far as Luke Heal(e)y and his wife Lucy / Lucey / Lucia who had three children that I've found so far (on the FamilySearch Record Search pilot site):
Mary Healey born 27 Aug 1795, christened 4 Oct 1795 Tanjore, Madras (my 4xg-grandmother)
Mathew Healy born 3 Jul 1809 christened 18 Oct 1809 St George, Madras, died 16 Nov 1815, buried the same day, Madras
Frances Healey born 24 Jul 1811, christened 23 Nov 1811 St George, Madras, married as Frances Letitia Healy to David Hadden 8 Jan 1829 Madras.

Luke Healey died 2 Jan 1816 and was buried the same day, Bellary, Madras. The British Library India Office website gives location as St Thomas's Mount and status as Conductor, Madras Ordnance Department.
Lucy Healey died and was buried 2 Nov 1849 Fort Thomas Mount, Madras, age 73, widow of Luke Healey.

Can anyone find a Luke Healey marrying a Lucy anywhere?

There is a possible Luke Healey baptism that I like the look of, 6 Jul 1766 St Saviour Southwark (London / Surrey), father Hugh Healey, but I haven't got any particular reason to think it's the right one. Normally I would check the names of Luke's children against Hugh and his wife and children but there must be loads of Luke's children missing between Mary and Mathew, and the only other possible child for Hugh that I can see is Mary Healey christened 9 Feb 1755 Holborn, parents Hugh and Mary, but that's from the non-conformist registers so probably not the same family?

Any ideas, please? Is there something somewhere that I've missed?

Edit - sorry, forgot to add another possible child of Luke:
Rebecca Healy married William Wright 30 Jul 1828 St Thomas Mount, Madras, one of their children was named Luke Healey Wright. Rebecca Wright died 18 Feb 1869, buried 19 Feb 1869 Madras, age 55.
And other Healeys who died in Madras and may or may not be Luke's:
Patrick died 1866 age 60, Lawrence died 1821 age 23, Edward died 1830 age 26, William died 1834 age 34, Mark died 1831 age 23, James died 1879 age 70.

Sue from Southend
24-08-10, 15:25
There's a Luke George Henry Healey marrying a Mary Ann Wilson in 1819 which may possibly discount your Holborn birth, or might be one of your Luke's children come home.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=LMAmarriages&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=luke&gsln=healey&dbOnly=_F000350C%7c_F000350C_x%2c_F0004BED%7c_F000 4BED_x&uidh=zs8&pcat=34&fh=0&h=10078506&recoff=1+4

Only two children in LMA records - Georgiana Augusta 1823 and George Roderick 1838. And an earlier George Roderick on Family Search b 1820.

kiterunner
24-08-10, 15:34
Thanks for that, Sue. I've joined FIBIS to see if they can help, just waiting for my membership to come through...

Kit
26-08-10, 04:52
You don't need to join FIBIS to search their records.

Also have you checked the British Library's India online records?

kiterunner
26-08-10, 08:53
Apparently they (FIBIS) have some records that are members only, and also if you are a member you can find out if there are other members researching the same family. Plus it says they have a researcher who can look stuff up at the British Library India Office for members who can't get there.
*still waiting for my membership to come through*

Yes, I've looked at the British Library India office online stuff, and I found Luke Healey's death on there with details of his occupation. I think I probably need stuff that hasn't been transcribed yet, though.

Kit
29-08-10, 07:08
Have you joined the Rootsweb India list?

You may get some info there. I joined years ago and have since left as I stopped looking at India and there were a lot of emails. There was a lovely man who went to the British Library and looked up my family for me, unasked, and got me about 2 generations further back. I emailed the library and they sent me copies of the registers the man had transcribed for me. I don't know for sure but I suspect the man is the FIBIS researcher.

When you do get your membership can you please tell me what members only records they have? I might join if it is worthwhile. I didn't realise they had more records than I could access now.

kiterunner
29-08-10, 16:04
Ooh, no, I haven't joined the Rootsweb India list. Will have a look at that, thanks for the tip, Kit.