PDA

View Full Version : Crackdown on lookups

Olde Crone
19-08-10, 20:40
I see over on GR that the site owners are now pro-actively removing threads which offer blatant lookups for 1911 census and some for Ancestry lookups too.

It had to happen....I just wonder why it took so long.

OC

kiterunner
19-08-10, 21:51
I'm not surprised, since it now belongs to brightsolid.

Olde Crone
19-08-10, 22:24
Yes, but they have owned it for a while now. I just wondered why it has taken so long.

I have also seen in the last week (?) or so, some other tweaks to the site which give rise to cautious optimism that the site owners are interested in the PURPOSE of GR, rather than it just being part of their portfolio.

OC

kiterunner
19-08-10, 22:26
I suppose they have had lots of different things they wanted to change and just had to set priorities.

Uncle John
20-08-10, 20:37
There must be an ongoing staff education and training programme to re-train folk in the way they want things done. It's an enormous and amorphous collection of databases which will take ages to refocus.

Joy Dean
20-08-10, 21:27
There must be an ongoing staff education and training programme to re-train folk in the way they want things done. It's an enormous and amorphous collection of databases which will take ages to refocus. - true, including cartoon characters, ie Donald Duck ... :)

Nell
21-08-10, 22:04
Haven't been on GR site for yonks - am I missing anything?!

Jenoco
22-08-10, 00:42
I had a quick look yesterday after reading this thread - don't think you're missing anything!

Kit
26-08-10, 04:58
1911 census lookups aren't allowed if you are using online records as that is part of the T&Cs of the site. Ancestry lookups are allowed under ancestry T&Cs, unless they have been changed recently. I think ancestry are realistic enough to know that lookups will happen anyway.

FMP also limits how many searches you can do in a given time, whereas ancestry doesn't. So if you are able to do a lot of searches on FMP in a short time they will look at your usage and possibly cut you off for the month.