PDA

View Full Version : Who is Roger Skillings?

Phoenix
19-08-10, 14:43
Muggins' link to Deceased Online, much to my surprise, produced a few more Skillings for me.

This included little Roger Skillings who was buried 19 April 1921 at Church Road Cemetery Merton (Surrey/London)

He's in Freebmd as dying at Epsom (so possibly at the mental hospital there?) aged 6.

Only he wasn't born:rolleyes:

All the other burials in the cemetery are the children of brothers Arthur & Albert Skillings. Both men at in the 1911 census at Mitcham (Croydon RD) with their families.

So, is Roger a child of one of them, or a stranger in their midst?

Joan of Archives
19-08-10, 14:56
Phoenix have you tried contacting the cemetery where he is buried? There's a good chance that they will still hold records of who arranged his burial at the time.

Phoenix
19-08-10, 15:06
I'm debating whether to spend the princely sum of £1.50 so see what it says on Decd Online. Just curious as to why he's missing. And wondering if he were born under another name.

Langley Vale Sue
19-08-10, 15:15
I can't find your little Roger, but just to say that Queen Mary's hospital for children, then in Stanley Park Road Carshalton, came under the Epsom district in 1911 census. Maybe it also did for registering deaths as well and he died there. I only know because I tried to find one of my sister-in-law's relatives and was surprised to find her listed in Epsom when she was actually in Queen Mary's Hospital Carshalton.

http://www.queenmarys.org.uk/content/history

Edit to say that, according to Genuki, Carshalton was in Epsom registration district before 1934.

Merry
19-08-10, 15:15
*sends postal order*

Merry
19-08-10, 15:19
I looked to see if there were any Skillings marriages after 1915 and then looked for Roger X birth regs where X = the maiden hame of the brides from after 1915 (if that makes any sense!), but that didn't work. I also noticed that Q1 1915 isn't fully transcribed for births so checked that, but there were no Skillings births registered. I then gave up! lol

Phoenix
19-08-10, 15:29
Thank you for the background info, Sue. That makes much more sense!

And thank you Merry for the virtual postal order!

I've just realised that this is one of the dodgy branches. Either Albert (or Arthur!) does not seem to have married in the first place. So they might prove careless with their children too.