PDA

View Full Version : London Gazette help?

Anstey Nomad
18-08-10, 11:29
Help!

Does anyone know a quick and easy way to unscramble the London Gazette?

Private Joseph Abbott of the KOYLI was awarded the DCM in April 1917 and I am looking for the citation as I have been told he got it for ‘bravery’ and it would be nice to know exactly what he did.

Since Friday I have tried every combination of search criteria I can think of, without any success whatsoever and even, keeping it simple, a search for “Joseph Abbott” seems to turn up results that make no mention of that name.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

AN

Phoenix
18-08-10, 11:45
The Gazette won't give his first naME HE'LL JUST BE J Abbott.

Finbar
18-08-10, 11:50
Have you tried contacting the Regimental Museum, AN?

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Services/Kings_Own_Yorkshire_Light_Infantry.asp

kiterunner
18-08-10, 11:52
Was he definitely a private? There is a L/Corporal J Abbott of the Yorkshire Light Infantry on 17th April 1917, let me know if you can't find it and I'll transcribe it for you.

annswabey
18-08-10, 12:47
It's often easier just to put the Regimental number into the search.

Margaret in Burton
18-08-10, 13:35
Help!

Does anyone know a quick and easy way to unscramble the London Gazette?

Private Joseph Abbott of the KOYLI was awarded the DCM in April 1917 and I am looking for the citation as I have been told he got it for ‘bravery’ and it would be nice to know exactly what he did.

Since Friday I have tried every combination of search criteria I can think of, without any success whatsoever and even, keeping it simple, a search for “Joseph Abbott” seems to turn up results that make no mention of that name.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

AN

How many more coincidences are we going to find? OH's grandfather, the elusive Peter Henry Harrison, was in the KOYLI during WW1. He was taken prisoner in 1915.

Anstey Nomad
18-08-10, 14:11
*reads record on Ancestry properly*

Yes Kite - that's him - after a shaky start he obviously got a promotion. Date is right as well as per his record.

I'll have another look and come back to you if I'm still struggling.

Thanks

AN

Anstey Nomad
18-08-10, 14:54
Bingo - thanks- finally got it after the site crashing several times. Unfortunately it's all a bit vague, but it's better than nothing. War diary next maybe.