PDA

View Full Version : Lancashire baptism help.

HarrysMum
17-08-10, 23:52
No idea why I can't leave this alone...but here goes, again.

If I had unlimitied funds (lol) can anyone suggest where I try to find this baptism.

David Kirkby born 1730.

I have this....

William Kirkby married Agnes Addison 5th Nov 1727, St Michaels and All Angels, Hawkshead.

Their daughter, Jane, was baptised same place 27th Aug 1728. Abode...Thwaite.

I know they are correct and mine. I'm sure there were only the two children, David and Jane.

I have Agnes Addison's father's will of 1743 and he only mentions the two children.

I have David's life all sorted until his death in 1814, and his will.

I've checked the entire Lancs OPC site and emailed the man who has done the transcribing. He found lots of interesting things for me in the BTs but nothing about David's baptism at all. David married in the same church and was buried from there as well.

He is well documented in books, etc.

I just want his baptism.........

ElizabethHerts
18-08-10, 06:58
I wonder if he was baptised privately and the entry was omitted?

I know that sometimes families waited a while and had a couple of children done together. Perhaps they didn't have him baptised straight away and then forgot?

How frutstrating, Libby!

ElizabethHerts
18-08-10, 07:01
I thought the Family Search Pilot site might help - it did, after a fashion!

Name: David Kirby
Burial Date: 28 May 1814
Burial Place: Hawkshead, Lancs., Eng.
Death Date:
Death Place: Coniston
Birth Date: 1730
Birthplace:
Race:
Marital Status: Unknown
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B02453-3
System Origin: England-EASy
Source Film Number: 1471809
Reference Number:
Collection: England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

HarrysMum
18-08-10, 08:39
Thanks Elizabeth............I think you could be right about the private baptism. Both the vicar and the bishop knew the family well as there are plenty of references in other things. The bishop changed two of the baptism records of David's children as the wrong name was given for their mother.

David married Agatha Sawrey, but in a couple of the childrens' baptisms, the mother is noted as Agnes. In the BTs, the bishop has written "the mother is Agatha, wife of David Kirkby. Agnes is the wife of William Kirkby and mother of David". Brilliant stuff, but doesn't help with David's baptism......lol

Olde Crone
18-08-10, 16:42
Just a thought, but did the family have extensive property elsewhere? In some cases I have found first son being baptised in London, when the family seat is Lancashire.

I presume the London baptism was for some important right to be established but goodness knows what!

OC

ElizabethHerts
18-08-10, 16:54
Ooh er!

I have been googling David Kirkby to see if I could find any more re. his baptism. No luck so far, but a snippet from the National Archives:

"Case: William Rigge v David Kirkby DK seduced Mary...."

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=025-bdhj_2&cid=-1#-1

It's quickest just to put "David Kirkby" in the find box.

ElizabethHerts
18-08-10, 17:01
Google books have the transcriptions of the baptisms for Hawkshead on line.

I hope the link works:

www.archive.org/stream/oldestregisterbo00hawkuoft#page/384/mode/2up/search/David

Bother, it doesn't go far enough. There is a David Kirkby in 1700, though!

HarrysMum
18-08-10, 20:04
I wish I could do those little quote thingys where you put more than one quote in the reply......lol

Elizabeth..............that's my David. Thankfully, the baby, David Benoni Rigge went to London and did well for himself (very well, considering). Mary Rigge died a year after giving birth and William Wordsworth wrote his first ballad about her. Apparently she died of a broken heart.

The 1700 David Kirkby is the '1730 David's' grandfather.

OC..............the family had plenty of money, but I've never been able to sort where their properties were. The wills give some indication but I've not found anything outside Lancs.

Uncle John
19-08-10, 20:20
The multiple quote "thingy" is the quotation marks with a plus sign.

HarrysMum
19-08-10, 20:32
Oooh Thanks UJ.. I'll try that.

Olde Crone
19-08-10, 22:28
Libby

Nil desperandum!

I searched in vain for almost 40 years for a missing baptism, poking and prodding all sorts of records even though I "knew" the man had not been baptised.

Last year a contact offered me a baptism he had found which he thought might interest me......IT WAS MY MAN!!! It was not, and still is not, on the internet and is in such an obscure collection that I would never have found it in a thousand years left to my own devices.

OC

HarrysMum
19-08-10, 23:34
Thanks OC. I also know this fellow existed. I also believe 1730 is the correct year for his birth as everything else the family (and others) has recorded has been right.

He did come from a long line of people who had "records" everywhere.........but that was a lot earlier.

I found one recorded as belonging to both the C 0f E and Quakers.........all while he was in France studying to be a Catholic priest........lol. Money talked back then just like today......lol