PDA

View Full Version : Bright Ideas please re Harriet Stagg

Phoenix
17-08-10, 12:48
Harriet, possibly Harriet Tucker, presumably married Samuel Nash. When he was off the scene she married Edward Stagg.

She is in Shoreditch in 1851, aged 57, born Shoreditch and very recently widowed. with son Henry and grandson Edward Bridden [sic]

Then she disappears. I can find no trace on 1861 or 1871 census on fmp. No obvious remarriage on freebmd, no obvious death there either.

The problem is compounded by the fact that Henry is calling himself Smith by 1861.

Can anyone spot her, anywhere?

Margaret in Burton
17-08-10, 12:57
What's the ref for 1851?

It's ok, found it.

Phoenix
17-08-10, 13:00
HO107 piece 1538 folio 307 page 19

Margaret in Burton
17-08-10, 13:14
Presumably you have her in 1841?

HO107; Piece 705; Folio: 30; Page: 18

Margaret in Burton
17-08-10, 13:16
Isn't one of the Shoreditch census missing? I've forgotten which one.

Margaret in Burton
17-08-10, 13:31
I don't suppose she was Elizabeth Harriet was she?

There is a death in 1852 for an Elizabeth Harriet Stagg.
Holborn, sep qtr 1b 249

I have no idea how far that is from Shoreditch

Merry
17-08-10, 13:36
There's an Elizabeth Harriet Stagg having children in the 1820s (LMA baps) in Westminster area (Holborn is Westminster area) with her husband, Richard, so I guess that death could be her.

I remember looking for Harriet when there was a thread about Henry (?) Stagg, but I gave up eventually!!

Phoenix
17-08-10, 13:50
Thanks for looking, Marg.
I thought there was a bit of Tower Hamlets missing in 1861, but perhaps that was just on Ancestry? It's not mentioned on fmp for 1861.

As for Elizabeth Harriet, it might be her, but she has only ever called herself Harriet on census or baptisms. Holborn is probably two - three miles from Shoreditch, so not impossible.

Phoenix
17-08-10, 13:52
There's an Elizabeth Harriet Stagg having children in the 1820s (LMA baps) in Westminster area (Holborn is Westminster area) with her husband, Richard, so I guess that death could be her.

I remember looking for Harriet when there was a thread about Henry (?) Stagg, but I gave up eventually!!

If you can't find her, then I guess nobody can!

I wonder if whatever happened to her is the reason her son changed his name?!

Merry
17-08-10, 14:00
Goodness knows, Phoenix!

Even if Harriet had become Mrs Smith, I don't see that as being a reason for Henry changing his name at that time in his life. What about money worries? Have you looked at bankruptcy records?

Richard and Elizabeth (Harriet) Stagg were in Holborn on the 1851 census and by 1861 he had a new wife, so I guess the burial Marg found was for that Elizabeth. I'm fairly sure they are the same family as Richard's occ was bookbinder in 1861, 1851 and on the baps for his children at St Martin in the Fields, where his (1st) wife had her full name recorded.

kiterunner
17-08-10, 14:51
I've found her first marriage on ancestry in the LMA records, if that's any help - Samuel is mistranscribed as Nath. (oh, also correctly transcribed as Nash). 12th Aug 1815 St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney, Samuel Nash bachelor and Harriet Tucker spinster, both of the "hamlet of MEOT (= Mile End Old Town)", witnesses Margaret Nash and Daniel(?) Price. That Daniel Price or whatever his name is looks to be a serial witness, so I wouldn't worry about him though.

Phoenix
17-08-10, 16:51
Thank you, Kite! TNA does not have Ancestry marriages, so it's always an extra trip to find that out.

From the few baptisms I have discovered, Harriet appears to have been non-conformist, which probably means she keeps her head well down as far as records are concerned.

Phoenix
17-08-10, 17:52
OMG I've found her!

NSW Deaths:
2238/1861 STAGG HARRIET AGE 68 YEARS DIED SUTTON FOREST BERRIMA
2221/1901 STAGG EDWARD T EDWARD HARRIET MOSS VALE

and the marriage of Edward Thomas Stagg:
1425/1859 STAGG EDWARD DAVIS ELIZABETH BERRIMA

Margaret in Burton
17-08-10, 19:27
How did you find that?

So she emigrated?

marquette
20-08-10, 02:36
Is this her arrival in Sydney

STAGG Harriett age 60 per ship British Trident 1861 Sydney
hmmm ages are a bit different

If you go to this page in the State Records website

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/nrs-lists/nrs-5316

and scroll down to the ship British Trident, you can see images of the pages of the Assisted Migrants records. Harriet is the last widow on page 6.
It says she is a needlewoman of Hackney Rd Middlesex, she can read and write and is Church of England. R.R. 16pounds (cost of assisted voyage)
I cant see Edward yet, will keep looking

marquette
20-08-10, 06:00
This is the death notice for Edward Stagg

Sydney Morning Herald Tuesday 26 Mar 1901
STAGG.—March 10, 1901, at his residence, Hombledon Hill, Yarrunga, Edward Thomas Stagg, in his 68th year,from heart disease.

Yarrunga is a small village just south of Moss Vale and Berrima. Elizabeth lived until 1914.

Edward Stagg was active in the West Camden election of 1859,for the area of Sutton Forest and Mittagong, but I have not found anything pinpointing his arrival. He might, unfortunately, be one of those listed "and three hundred migrants in steerage", if he came as a "free" (non-assisted migrant), but it looks like Harriet joined him after his marriage.

This dreadful accident resulting in the death of William, Edward and Elizabeths son made several newspapers, including the Melbourne Argus.

Sydney Morning Herald 19 Jan 1880
Goulburn Satruday
A frightful accident happened in the goods department of the railway to-day. A man named William Stagg, a greaser, in jumping off the guard's van held, on to the rope too long and was swung below the wheels... Several trucks passed over his leg, and shattered it fearfully. The man was taken to the hospital, and the limb was amputated.

Maitland Mercury and Hunter River Advertiser 22 Jan 1880
William Stagg, who was so severely injured on the railway, died yesterday afternoon. His relations reside at Sutton Forest.

Di

Phoenix
20-08-10, 12:40
Wow, thank you for all your hard work, Di!

Poor Edward - to lose his mother so soon after she had come out and then lose one of his sons in such a horrific accident.

marquette
21-08-10, 03:35
That's okay Phoenix, the newspapers are such fun to search and you find the most surprising information there.

I looked and looked but could not find Edward Stagg coming to Australia !

Di

Uncle John
21-08-10, 20:59
Is this her arrival in Sydney

STAGG Harriett age 60 per ship British Trident 1861 Sydney
hmmm ages are a bit different

As an aside, the British Trident took 78 days Melbourne - Liverpool in 1859/60, which seems fairly typical for the time.