PDA

View Full Version : Ancestors in India, inspired by WDYTYA

Margaret in Burton
16-08-10, 21:46
My GGG Grandfather Thomas Newey was born in the Birmingham area but was single when he joined the army in 1793. He had 6 children born in India to two different wives. I don't have maiden names for either of them.

He enlisted in the 17th Foot Leicestershire Regiment in 1793 in Bristol. Served 26 years, Private: 3 years, Corporal 10 months, Sergeant 13 years 1 month and Quartermaster Sergeant 9 years 7 months. Conduct excellent. Discharged at Ghazipur, India in 1819

His first wife was Jane, they had 2 children and Jane died in 1810. In India I presume.

He then married Elizabeth, my GGG Grandmother. They had 4 childen in India and the last one in Northamptonshire. Elizabeth is buried in Stamford, Lincolnshire.

How can I find Jane and Elizabeth's maiden names? I have looked on FIBIS. The children's baptisms are on the but not the marriages.

Remember I can't afford to travel to India to search their records. :D

JayG
16-08-10, 22:06
I'm guessing the child born in Northamptonshire was pre 1837 so no BC available to confirm Elizabeth maiden name.

kiterunner
16-08-10, 22:16
I would say look on the FamilySearch Record Search pilot site, but I can't see them on there.

ElizabethHerts
17-08-10, 05:47
Rupert went to the British Library for information on WDYTYA - do you know if they hold any information, Marg?

Margaret in Burton
17-08-10, 08:21
I'm guessing the child born in Northamptonshire was pre 1837 so no BC available to confirm Elizabeth maiden name.

Yes 1821

Margaret in Burton
17-08-10, 08:26
I would say look on the FamilySearch Record Search pilot site, but I can't see them on there.

I hadn't looked on there but thanks for trying Kate.

Rupert went to the British Library for information on WDYTYA - do you know if they hold any information, Marg?

Haven't tried Elizabeth, but the chances of me going there are zero.

I haven't looked at this side of my family for years. The programme last night set me thinking. A 2nd cousin started this research about 25 years ago. I know he went to London to do research but not sure where. He did find the childrens baptisms which are now on the Fibis site.

Georgette
17-08-10, 08:41
A 2nd cousin started this research about 25 years ago. I know he went to London to do research but not sure where.

He would have gone to the British Library, Marg, as they hold all the records for India. The FIBIS volunteers are gradually transcribing these records, so one day those marriages should appear on their site.

Margaret in Burton
17-08-10, 09:21
He would have gone to the British Library, Marg, as they hold all the records for India. The FIBIS volunteers are gradually transcribing these records, so one day those marriages should appear on their site.

I'm suprised he didn't check for those. I'll have to contact him. I try to avoid doing that. I email him but be always replies by telephone. Calls at inconvenient times and then proceeds to go over the whole family history to remind me as though I have gone senile and can't remember.

Margaret in Burton
17-08-10, 09:28
Well I've just gone back to the FISIS site and can't even find the baptisms now. They were on there before and some deaths. :(:confused:

Fi aka Wheelie Spice
17-08-10, 09:36
If you google british library, they have their contact details including email address. Do you know the dates Thomas married both? You could email them what you know and they will email you back if they find the marriages or not with details how to order the certs. They even give you the refs. I've done it a few times. Good Luck

Margaret in Burton
17-08-10, 10:41
Thanks Fi

I'll try that although I don't know the dates, only the dates their children were baptised.

How much are the certs?

Margaret in Burton
17-08-10, 10:58
Well I've emailed the British Library.

Georgette
17-08-10, 11:16
Oooh! I hope you get a reply soon, Marg :)

I've had a look on their search site for your Thomas and have found the baptisms but not the marriages, unfortunately. All their records aren't on there, though. Here's the search page: http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx

Margaret in Burton
17-08-10, 11:28
Oooh! I hope you get a reply soon, Marg :)

I've had a look on their search site for your Thomas and have found the baptisms but not the marriages, unfortunately. All their records aren't on there, though. Here's the search page: http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx

Thanks for that Georgette, I wonder why I couldn't find them.

I've had one of those automated replies that says they intend to reply within 2 days or pass my email on to the correct dept.

I shall have to contact 2nd cousin if I do find anything. It was his research that gave me a head start with this family.

Not keeping my fingers crossed though.