PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for a transcribing challenge??

HarrysMum
11-09-09, 22:19
I have a will from 1830 I've been struggling with. The writing is mostly OK but every so often a line is horrid and my eyes are not great (yes.....I do have my glasses on..lol)

If anyone feels like a quest, I'm happy to email it.

Thanks.

samesizedfeet
11-09-09, 22:20
you can bung it over to me if you like

I'll PM you my email

HarrysMum
11-09-09, 22:31
Thanks Zoe.

Joan of Archives
11-09-09, 22:42
Libby I can vouch for Zoe she is a dab hand at deciphering stuff lol! :d

HarrysMum
11-09-09, 22:54
Thanks Joan................this will looks interesting.

samesizedfeet
11-09-09, 23:30
All done!! I do love a good Will to get my teeth into.

Think I may have found my niche on here seeing as I can't beat any of the researchers to anything.

HarrysMum
12-09-09, 02:57
Zoe................the only thing stopping me buying more of them is transcribing.....lol

You may have opened your mouth too soon. Just don't charge by the hour.....you'll never make any money.

Macbev
12-09-09, 04:50
*notes that Zoe gets her kicks from reading old documents*

Ahem.....I have a will dating from 1823...the writing is clear enough, it's the legalese that defeats me :(.....I've been trying to find out for years if it says why the son and heir was disinherited ;(

Merry
12-09-09, 08:19
All done!! I do love a good Will to get my teeth into.

Be careful, the last time I said something like that someone sent me a 12 page will with about six codicils and abut half of each page was almost entirely black, with just the odd hint of text!

samesizedfeet
12-09-09, 09:30
*notes that Zoe gets her kicks from reading old documents*

Ahem.....I have a will dating from 1823...the writing is clear enough, it's the legalese that defeats me :(.....I've been trying to find out for years if it says why the son and heir was disinherited ;(

and here is the reason I'd never make money out if it: I get the general gist of most of them but if they start repeating their heretos and whereinafters too much then I get lost

kiterunner
12-09-09, 10:44
Post up the relevant bit, Bev, and we can have a go at trying to figure it out!

Uncle John
12-09-09, 20:28
I can just about disentangle legalese but I'm not much good with ancient writing.

Merry
12-09-09, 21:08
I can just about disentangle legalese but I'm not much good with ancient writing.

Maybe you should go into partnership with Zoe?!!

samesizedfeet
12-09-09, 21:13
Maybe you should go into partnership with Zoe?!!

I know you're all disappointed that at 30-something I'm still single and there's no decent prospect on the horizon for you to be buying a hat for - but you're taking this a bit too far now

Macbev
13-09-09, 06:12
Thanks Kite....but it's a bit too much to post here.....there were six sons and they all get mentioned, one after the other in very repetitive terms. Every so often, I try my hand at doing a bit more, in the hopes that somewhere I will find the explanation for the eldest not inheriting the major part of the estates. I think I know, but it would be nice to see it in writing somewhere, since the family seem to have managed to keep it out of the newspapers.

P'raps I should go straight to the codicil :(

MargaretMarch
13-09-09, 11:27
I went to a presentation by an academic who had done a study of ancient wills, at my local FHS and she said that often if a son/daughter appeared to have been disinherited it was because they had already got their share by way of a gift before the death. So perhaps the son you think was missed out actually got a house or shares or some such before the parent died.
Margaret

Uncle John
13-09-09, 20:28
I know you're all disappointed that at 30-something I'm still single and there's no decent prospect on the horizon for you to be buying a hat for - but you're taking this a bit too far now

I think it was an academic partnership they were thinking of. I hope this forum doesn't develop into a dating agency.

Merry
13-09-09, 20:32
I think it was an academic partnership they were thinking of. I hope this forum doesn't develop into a dating agency.

Doesn't look as if we are much good at it, so probably best to stick with FH :cool: