PDA

View Full Version : So I await my Tesco's FTM Platinum..

Joan of Archives
15-08-10, 19:47
For my free 6 months Ancestry!!! Cost me £15 of Clubcard points, if it works I will once more be able to continue my research & keep myself occupied in the long winter days :d

samesizedfeet
15-08-10, 20:08
Whatever you do don't opt to do the ancestry bit later when it asks you. Did this with a friend and we wanted to load the program and her tree first and then sort ancestry later. We couldn't get back to the bit where you activate the 6 month subscription and it doesn't explain anywhere in the paperwork what to do or who to call. Was a proper palava

Sue at the seaside
15-08-10, 21:04
I got mine, and I agree with the probs of signing up to Ancestry with it, managed it eventually! but I have no idea how to use this new system! I'm hopeless.

Sue

Uncle John
15-08-10, 21:14
I found FTM 2010 mind-blowingly different from FTM 2005. Almost as big a step as the upgrade from the DOS version. I'm still only 50% of the way through separating out placenames and events, where there are now 2 fields instead of one. And it's much more memory-hungry. My hard disk works overtime supplying "virtual memory".

Joan of Archives
15-08-10, 21:42
I am only going to load it once I'm ready to use Ancestry, & will register it first then, thanks for that tip.

UJ, I am wondering if I can take it off my computer once I have registered the Ancestry sub as I am quite happy with my FTM 2005 :rolleyes:

Uncle John
16-08-10, 18:35
You don't have to use it. My FTM 2005 is happily co-existing, with its own tree file. I'm using it to do look-ups, although with time that tree will get more out-of-date.

Elaine
16-08-10, 18:58
Joan, you need to make sure that you register your new copy of FTM with the same details as the 2005 version, or else when you activate Ancestry it will only work with the latest version and not the earlier one.

You can activate Ancestry at any time by selecting Help / Activate Ancestry subscription - I left mine for 6 months after installing the program as I already had a current subscription when I purchased the program.