PDA

View Full Version : Steerage ticket to Curacoa

Muggins in Sussex
15-08-10, 17:32
Some time ago, on FMP I found John Arthur Dowsett travelling to Curacoa (under the name J Arthur Dowsett) in 1927. (He was probably my maternal grandfather)

When I was at Kew last week, I looked at the record again - and discovered that on pages 2 & 3 of the ship's records are "Contract Tickets" for both John Arthur Dowsett and Joseph Brown. Both men's occupations are given as "engineer". John Arthur Dowsett was a car mechanic, and the address he gives is the address of his workshop.

The "contract tickets" say

" I engage that the person mentioned below shall be provided with a Steerage Passage to, and be landed at the port of Willemstad in Curacoa in the steamship "Stuyvesant" of 4285 Tons with not less than Ten Cubic Feet for luggage for each Statute Adult, and shall be victualled during the voyage according to the dietary scale provided by law......
Passage money...£20.5.00"

It sounds as though some else was paying his fare :confused:

The "contract ticket" was signed by agents for the Royal Netherlands West India Mail on behalf of Phs Van Ommeran (London) Ltd - who seem to be shippng agents

At first I had assumed that John Arthur Dowsett was going to Curacoa to work (oil was found there in 1920) - but if a company was engaging him to go there, would they have sent him steerage class?

Also, I have never managed to find a return journey for him - less than a year after he went to Curacoa, he instituted divorce proceedings in the UK against my grandmother, and a few years later he seems to have been involved in partnership with HW Wicks (in the insurance business) in Malta.

Hope this makes sense - It's making my dizzy!

maggie_4_7
15-08-10, 18:04
What was the address of his workshop?

Muggins in Sussex
15-08-10, 18:13
Maggie - it was 23 Lyndhurst Drive, Hove

Olde Crone
15-08-10, 18:49
I am very possibly wrong, lol, but surely he is working his passage, if he has a contract ticket?

OC

Uncle John
15-08-10, 21:17
I tend to agree.

Muggins in Sussex
16-08-10, 05:16
I am very possibly wrong, lol, but surely he is working his passage, if he has a contract ticket?

OC

I tend to agree.

Thanks OC and UJ - that makes much more sense than my theory! :)

I guess he was working his passage there so that he could look for work once he arrived.

Nell
16-08-10, 18:10
*points out tactfully that it is Curacao, not Curacoa*

Uncle John
16-08-10, 18:30
*even more tactfully adds a cedilla - Curaçao*

Nell
16-08-10, 22:46
I can't do clever stuff like that UJ!

Muggins in Sussex
17-08-10, 05:43
Neither can I, Nell :d