PDA

View Full Version : My first probate calendars success *screeeeeeeeeam*

samesizedfeet
10-08-10, 13:59
I think I may finally have found the married name of my missing great grandmother Olive!!

She's the wife of Oscar Linkson who died in WWI and one of my first ever connections for the family told me years ago in our one and only telephone conversation that Olive had remarried and moved to Australia where she had twins
(previous thread about it here - http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2102)
Contact wasn't sure of her new married name or when she moved

ANYWAY...... working my way through the tree name by name I did Olive's mother - Florence Fenton, who's date of death I hadn't confirmed yet, and I got this:

FENTON Florence Selina of 17 Burchell Road Peckham Surrey widow died 26 February 1936 a 5 Brunswick Square Camberwell SUrrey
Probate London 27 March to Sydney Fred Fenton retired licensed victualler and Olive May Goodman (wife of WIlliam George Goodman)
Effects £69 10s. 10d.

*faints with excitement*

samesizedfeet
10-08-10, 14:08
So, Oscar the first husband died in 1916 in the Somme.

I can't see a marriage for Olive Fenton/Linkson to a Goodman at all, but there is a birth in Barnet (the area they are from) in for an Arthur W H Goodman with mmn Fenton in 1919.

There's also a death for an Olive M Goodman in Pancras in 1957 but I have a niggling doubt about it even though the age is right. Probably because of teh family suggestion that she moved to Australia or New Zealand.

I have to go to work now but if anyone isn't absorbed in thr Probate Indexes themselves and can have a play with it I'd be very grateful

Z
x

kiterunner
10-08-10, 14:42
Not got into this yet, but just to say that Arthur William H Goodman born 27 Jan 1919 died Nov 1993 Stroud, Gloucestershire.

maggie_4_7
10-08-10, 14:54
ahhhh well done I remember that thread. :)

I thought there was another one too!

kiterunner
10-08-10, 14:59
From the UK Incoming Passenger lists:

16 May 1938 arrival at London from Beira, Mozambique:
Olive May Goodman age 39.
Port of embarkation - Cape Town.
Proposed address - 9 West Bolton Gardens, London, SW5. Occupation Shoe Buyer. Country of last permanent residence England. Country of intended future permanent residence England.

The age is slightly wrong but it wouldn't be unusual for a lady in her early forties to claim to be 39. No other Goodman with her to help work out if it's your Olive or not, though.

kiterunner
10-08-10, 15:03
Ooh, and then there is an Olive M Goodman crossing the border from Canada to the USA in July 1940, age 41, occupation Saleslady, oh no, she says she was born in New Zealand but last permanent residence is London, so I guess she is the same Olive as in my post above and not your Olive unless she's given the wrong birthplace.

kiterunner
10-08-10, 15:07
There is an entry in the London Gazette for the Olive May Goodman who died in 1957:
Address: 264 Colney Hatch Lane, Muswell Hill, Middlesex, widow, died 27th December 1957, executor Lloyds Bank Ltd which doesn't help much.

Mary from Italy
10-08-10, 15:39
There's no Olive May Goodman in the Australian electoral rolls (the online ones go up to 1954) or the Australian death index on Ancestry.

Mary from Italy
10-08-10, 15:44
Oooh!

Registration Number / Family Name / Given Name(s) / Date of Birth/
Age at Death

1978/33652 / Goodman / Olive May / 19 November 1895

1970/41758 / Goodman / William George / 92Y

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Home/

kiterunner
10-08-10, 17:17
Right, so if 19th November 1895 is Olive's date of birth, it's definitely not the Olive that Zoe's looking for.

Mary from Italy
10-08-10, 18:26
Oh, I'd missed that Zoe said on her other thread that the dob was 27th July 1896. What a pity - it looked very good, especially as there was also a death for a William George Goodman in NZ, although I can't see any children born to an Olive Goodman in NZ.

samesizedfeet
10-08-10, 20:23
Thank you for trying ladies.

I'm beginning to doubt more and more the Australia/New Zealand story. Her children were 4 and 2 when first hubby died and they both remained in England until their deaths.
The contact was the daughter of hubby #1's niece and by all accounts Olive was hated by her mother in law so I'm not sure how much contact she would have kept with the family.

I'm going to get ordering some of those certificates to see what I can confirm - Florence's death, the Goodman birth and the Olive Goodman death in 1951 just in case.

The entry of Florence is a grant of probate - am I right in thinking that doesn't necessarily mean there's going to be an accompanying Will? Or, is intestate approved with a Letter of Admons?
i.e. does the Probate index differentiate between grants and admons?

Mary from Italy
10-08-10, 20:51
Yes, if it says probate there'll be a will.

Jill
10-08-10, 20:51
If there's a grant of probate there will be a will. Sometimes you get an admon with will (entry will state this) admon on it's own means no will. You can specify to have the grant too if you buy a will at no extra cost

Nell
10-08-10, 21:02
So glad you've made a breakthrough Zoe.

None of my lot were interested in making Wills - nothing to leave anyway!

samesizedfeet
10-08-10, 21:29
So glad you've made a breakthrough Zoe.

None of my lot were interested in making Wills - nothing to leave anyway!

well I didn't think my lot were either but I've found quite a few.

next breakthrough would be finding my Charles Fenton

samesizedfeet
30-08-10, 20:15
Just to update on this since i now have the Will for Florence (Olive's mother)

It's definitely her as she names some of her children (although misses out 2 I know were still alive) and executor in the Will is "Olive May Fenton, daughter," and then in the grant of probate "Olive May Goodman wife of William George Goodman, daughter".

Just about to order the certificates I pinpointed earlier in the thread - I was holding off in case the Will answered any questions on that front but it was written immediately after the death of Florence's husband in 1912 so Olive hadn't even married for the first time yet, so no helpful naming of grandchildren.

Just about to dive head first into trying to work out who WIlliam George Goodman is, although without a marriage between him and Olive it may prove difficult.

samesizedfeet
31-08-10, 00:58
So, after hours of playing around with other Goodmans in the Barnet area I think I have happened across Olive's 2nd marriage.

I'd never have found it had I not started to look at who might be siblings to William as the GRO have her recorded incorrectly in the indexes so instead of being Olive May Linkson she's somehow turned into Olive Mayhinkson

Merry
31-08-10, 07:37
Aaagh! I spent an age looking for that and it was there in the very first search I did with only two results, but I just didn't 'see' the name as being what it actually was!

I searched (on FreeBMD) for William Goodman to Olive (no surname), between 1916 and 1919 and got:

Marriages Sep 1917
Goodman William H Brammall Sheffield 9c 1040

Marriages Mar 1918
Goodman William C Mayhinkson Barnet 3a 720

I think I was distracted by his (apparent) wrong middle initial and her surname just being too 'long' and not starting with a letter commonly mistaken for an L.

The above was done before 10pm yesterday! lol Maybe if I'd known Barnet was the right place I would have looked more closely!!

Congrats on finding them :D

samesizedfeet
31-08-10, 13:57
I may have now solved the mysterious twins AND the Australia red herring through a family tree on ancestry.

Olive's son Arthur Goodman appears to have had twin sons born in Scotland and from the look of the tree (if I can confirm the connection) one of these moved to Australia.

Have sent a message so if everyone could cross their crossable bits for me I may finally solve what happened to my great grandmother.

Merry
31-08-10, 15:03
*crosses all sorts*

samesizedfeet
01-09-10, 12:33
*Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek*

have to scream again - just got an ancestry contact from Olive's grandson from her 2nd marriage who now lives in Australia. I think I have actually solved the mystery finally.

:):):):)

maggie_4_7
01-09-10, 13:06
Oh good let us know for gawd's sake!!

Mary from Italy
02-09-10, 09:37
Ooh, brilliant.

Kit
06-09-10, 07:17
Oh good let us know for gawd's sake!!

I agree. You can't leave it there!!!!!!!!