PDA

View Full Version : St Agnes near Truro

ElizabethHerts
07-08-10, 09:22
There appear to be two parishes in Cornwall called St Agnes - one St Agnes, the other St Agnes near Truro.

I can't find St Agnes near Truro on Genuki - does anyone know where it was?

Margaret in Burton
07-08-10, 09:37
OC may know.

ElizabethHerts
07-08-10, 09:52
I'm very confused. Cornwall OPC has a map which I can't understand! They only have one St Agnes. However, the parish registers on the Family Search pilot site have St Agnes and St Agnes near Truro as separate parishes.

Margaret in Burton
07-08-10, 09:54
Just remembered, I think one of the Channel Islands is called St Agnes, could it be there?

Margaret in Burton
07-08-10, 09:58
If you look on Google maps, it shows 2 St Agnes' on the map, almost on top of each other but Truro is 10 miles away.

ElizabethHerts
07-08-10, 10:02
Thanks, Marg - I was expecting them to be closer to the south coast. I suppose the southern one is St Agnes near Truro.

I wish I could find a decent map with parish boundaries.

Margaret in Burton
07-08-10, 10:14
Must be very confusing for the postman:D

ElizabethHerts
07-08-10, 10:20
I think perhaps St Agnes near Truro was an ancient parish which has become amalgamated with somewhere else - St Agnes itself?

I have e-mailed my friendly Cornwall OPC clerk for Gerrans to ask him.

ElizabethHerts
07-08-10, 10:26
The parish still exists, by the look of it, as Marriages up until 1995 are available to view.

Joy Dean
07-08-10, 10:53
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/a_d/agnes_st.php
is in the Hundred and deanery of Pydar, just inland from the North coast and the Bristol Channel, and lies to the North of Redruth. (see our locator map link, below). It is not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, as it was considered part of Perranzabuloe until 1846. It is now in the Carrick district, with civil registration for the parish being in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837.
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/MAPS/map_w_central.php

Olde Crone
07-08-10, 11:04
St Agnes is just up the road from me and as far as I am concerned, it is St Agnes near Truro if I am telling someone where it is, but it is called just St Agnes in real life.

I've never heard that there are two such places in Cornwall.

EDIT - having just google mapped it, I see what you mean! How very odd. My ordinary road map only shows one St Agnes (the village). I think google map must be showing an error, unless it is showing the two ways in and out of St Agnes, lol!

OC

ElizabethHerts
07-08-10, 11:41
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#w=0&p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1769414

If you scroll down the parish list you will find the two St Agnes parishes.

ElizabethHerts
07-08-10, 11:43
The problem for me is that I didn't know there were two separate places.

Come to that, noone else seems to know, either!! :d

Olde Crone
07-08-10, 14:29
Elizabeth

No, there aren't two different places, just the one. I reckon the larger collection (St Agnes near Truro) is taken from the BTs and the smaller collection from the PRs.

I did notice yesterday, when trying to help someone on another forum, that the much-vaunted LDS Pilot Site does appear to have some anomalies. It purported to list entries from a church which did not exist at the time and a lot of ferreting about on my part revealed that someone had taken it upon themselves to rename this particular collection, for reasons best known to themselves. It doesn't really bode very well for this new collection, does it.

OC

Olde Crone
07-08-10, 14:37
Right, got it I think, phew.

If you go to familysearch, library catalogue and input St Agnes Cornwall, you get two hits.

One is for St Agnes on the Scillies and consists ONLY of census records.

The other is for St Agnes (near Truro) and consists of 13 church records, some of which are labelled just St Agnes and others St Agnes near Truro. All the same place/parish (I can tell that by the names of the record/place of worship etc, all local to St Aggy).

I hope that helps. They are all the same village parish - St Agnes the village near Truro.

OC

ElizabethHerts
07-08-10, 14:40
Elizabeth

No, there aren't two different places, just the one. I reckon the larger collection (St Agnes near Truro) is taken from the BTs and the smaller collection from the PRs.

I did notice yesterday, when trying to help someone on another forum, that the much-vaunted LDS Pilot Site does appear to have some anomalies. It purported to list entries from a church which did not exist at the time and a lot of ferreting about on my part revealed that someone had taken it upon themselves to rename this particular collection, for reasons best known to themselves. It doesn't really bode very well for this new collection, does it.

OC

Thanks for the information, OC. It explains a lot. :) I shall use the feedback form to raise the query. They do answer quite quickly.

I'm trying to find the parentage of my Thomas Quintrell who lived in Gerrans and raised 9 children there from 1744 until 1797. We mistakenly had him as the son of RIchard Quintrell of Gerrans, but this Thomas was baptised in 1719. In the last year of so we have discovered that this Thomas was buried in 1720 in Gerrans.

There is a likelihood of my Thomas being the Thomas Quintrel baptised on 18th October 1718 at Saint Agnest near Truro to Edward Quintrel and Mary.
I'm going boss-eyed looking at the Parish Registers!

I wonder when they will remove the parish register for browsing.
I was so pleased to have the St Blazey ones to view and it's really helped me sort out my Daddows and Bennetts.