PDA

View Full Version : Mrs Catherine McDonough FMFM

Janet in Yorkshire
06-08-10, 12:33
Name - Catherine ??????
Date and place of birth Galway, Ireland poss c1803
Names of parents?????
Date and place of baptism - if applicable??????
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any to Mr McDonough (deceased by 1871), believed to have married in Ireland
Occupation(s) - if any 1871 widow, annuitant
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on.1871 Earsdon, Blyth, Northumberland - at the home of her son Michael McDonough & family
Date, place and cause of death????
Date and place of burial / cremation.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

Jay

kiterunner
06-08-10, 15:06
Can't see her on the 1861 yet, but presumably the second family in this 1861 entry are related, since Michael is the same one from the 1871 entry:

9 St Lawrence, Newcastle on Tyne
Michael McDonnough Head Mar 30 Labourer at Patent Manure Works Ireland
July Do Wife Mar 24 Ireland
Catherine Do Daur 1 Newcastle on Tyne
---
Commons McDonnough Head Mar 23 Laborer at Patent Manure Works Ireland
Catherine Do Wife Mar 25 Do
John Do Son 1 mo Newcastle on Tyne

kiterunner
06-08-10, 16:04
I don't know whether you have Michael's marriage cert to see his father's name? I can't see the marriage anywhere though! Some baptisms for his children on FamilySearch Record Search give his wife's name as Julia Dunn or Dunne.

Michael and Julia's daughter Catherine was registered as McDonall or McDonell, so that's another possible variation of the McDon(n)ough surname.

Or if Commons is another of Catherine's sons, maybe we can find his marriage to get his father's name, but I've failed there so far. He and his wife Catharine Parkin had a daughter Mary born 10 Sep 1862 in Castleton, Roxburgh, Scotland, according to FamilySearch Record Search. Surname given as McDonagh. Scotland's People does list a birth for Mary McDonagh in 1862, county Roxburgh, district Castleton, so if you pay to view her birth registration on that site, it should give you the place and date of her parents' marriage.

I can't figure out what happened to Commons McDonough after 1862, though, annoyingly enough. His name is so rare, I'm sure it should help.

kiterunner
06-08-10, 16:09
Oh, and forgot to say, Catherine McDonough's age on the 1871 census is 62, so her year of birth should be around 1808-9.

kiterunner
06-08-10, 16:14
Michael's daughter Bridget was registered as McDonner Dec 1863 Tynemouth district, and Michael jr also as McDonner Jun 1866. In case you wanted yet another variation of the surname! Think I'll leave it there for now...

Margaret in Burton
06-08-10, 16:22
I wonder if this is her death?

Catherine McDOUGAL ( another name) :D

Tynemouth 10b 137
Jun qtr 1875
aged 65

Janet in Yorkshire
06-08-10, 19:21
Thankyou, Kite and Margaret, for your searching and suggestions.

The spelling variations are a pain - my Granny was registered at birth as McDonna & at her marriage as McDonald.
Catherine's daughter in law, Julia, nee Dunn, was recorded as plain Donagh in 1911 and the eldest grandson Thomas McDonough eventually became Thomas Donick. Also, they were a family who couldn't calculate their ages!

I think Catherine's son, Michael McDonough, & Julia Dunn(e) must have married in Ireland before they came over - but it would be before the civil reg of RC marriages, so there is no record at Joyce House. I need to try and get to the national library in Dublin.

Similarly, we have never really got anywhere with Commons McDonough, who we had thought might be a brother of Michael. Unfortunately County Galway seems to have been a big stronghold of clan McDonough & variants - There were masses of them, including several earlier Commons McDonoughs.

Jay

kiterunner
06-08-10, 19:26
Have you ever tried getting that Scottish birth registration to see the date and place of Commons McDonough's marriage, Janet?

Joy Dean
06-08-10, 20:28
Probably nothing to do with them, but there is a McDonagh's fish and chip shop / fish restaurant in Galway City. I was there last September; very nice fish and chips it was, too :)

Janet in Yorkshire
07-08-10, 20:09
LOL, Joy :d - I wonder if they serve red herrings?

According to the Scottish birth reg for Mary Mcdonagh, her parents were
Commons Mcdonagh & Catherine Parkin -
married 18 May 1859 at MIDDLESBURGH.

Not really my part of Yorkshire - I'm not sure exactly where the name "Middlesborough" refered to in 1859, as there were lots of different settlements, covered by 3 or 4 different registration districts, I think?????

I can't see a possible marriage as yet.
I'm sitting here wondering if there's some place in Eire, which if pronounced in a strong Irish brogue, could sound like Middlesbro to Scottish ears????:d

Jay

Joy Dean
07-08-10, 21:38
I shall put on my Irish accent thinking cap.

The trouble is there are so many accents. I heard Killererin pronounced about three different ways! :)

Joy Dean
07-08-10, 21:54
That surname, I am thinking is haunting me! - just seen it there:
http://www.galwaynews.ie/death-notices?page=1