PDA

View Full Version : Help needed looking for a marriage

Lynn the Forest Fan
05-08-10, 08:25
I have finally finished inputting the data that I got free from the 1911 during the world cup & would like a little help filling in the details for one couple.
I found hubby's g grandmother Lucy Lucas (c1937 Birmingham) living with her son Henry (c1872 Birmingham) & wife Emily in Beanwood(?) in 1911. I think it says that they have been married 2 years & that they have had 2 children born & died. Hopwever I haven't been able to trace a marriage to find Emily's surname.

On the 1911 he is down as Henry, although I have his name down as William Harry from previous censuses. Can anyone help find the marriage please?

Nell
05-08-10, 09:32
Which registration district are they in in 1911 and have you looked for possible children's births and deaths in that area?

Nell
05-08-10, 09:36
I have had a quick scout round but can't see anything likely. It's possible it was missed off the GRO indexes [same problem with my gt grandmother's 2nd marriage].

You could try tracing one of the children and getting the cert to get her maiden name, or asking the relevant local register office if they have details - 2 years is a short space of time to look.

Re: my gt grandmother, just in case anyone finds details!!!! Her name was Emma Moore. First husband Thomas Matthews died Islington May 1879. Emma reappears in Greenwich 1881 census with 2nd husband John Garvie and has his child a few months later. So theoretically marriage is between May 1879-Mar 1881, probably some time in 1880. But I haven't found it in any Islington church or the likely ones in Greenwich. I wondered if they'd got married in the register office but Islington RO just keep referring me to the GRO who won't be able to find it cos its not in the index!
I did check Garvie to see if John was already married to prevent him marrying Emma, but zilch.

Merry
05-08-10, 09:53
??

Marriages Mar 1909
BONNER Ernest Birmingham 6d 197
LUCAS Henry Edward Birmingham 6d 197
MERCER Ellen Sarah Birmingham 6d 197
TURNER Emily Birmingham 6d 197

but Henry didn't have a middle name did he?

Merry
05-08-10, 09:59
I have his name down as William Harry

Oops, missed that bit before! I looked at 1881 and 1901 but he wasn't Wm H on either of those two (I don't think!)

Lynn the Forest Fan
05-08-10, 10:24
Thanks Nell & Merry. I didn't know the reg district for 1911, as it wasn't listed on the printout, but I can have a look if it is still on FMP. It certainly isn't anything I can afford to spend money on certs for, I can't afford them even for my direct line at the moment! :)
It is strange about the name, as checking back, he is listed as William H once & then the rest of the times as Henry/Harry, so that marriage may well be the right one, I will have a look to see if there are any births &deaths for that maiden name which will fit. Thanks :)

Lynn the Forest Fan
05-08-10, 12:58
Have checked the 1911 reg district & it is Kings Norton, which is down as Worcestershire, but that hasn't really helped.
I've found a birth & death in Dec1909 for an Emily Lucas, but the maiden name isn't included, so I can't be sure if she is theirs