PDA

View Full Version : 1st prize for anyone who can find John Newton in the 1841 Census!

ElizabethHerts
04-08-10, 07:50
I have been searching for ages for OH's 2x great-grandfather in the 1841Census.

JOHN NEWTON
Christened 30th March 1817 at Braceby, Lincolnshire.

Married Ann Tuffnal 15th October 1846 at the Parish Church Checkley Staffordshire by Licence.
On the marriage certificate it states he is a Grocer resident in Burton upon Trent.

I also have the marriage allegation dated 9th October 1846 stating that he is from the Parish of Burton upon Trent in the County of Stafford, Grocer a Bachelor.

I can't find him in Lincolnshire or in Staffordshire in 1841.

Margaret in Burton
04-08-10, 10:38
I can't find him in Staffordshire, he certainly isn't in Burton in 1841. The problem being if he wasn't in Lincs either then he is just going to be listed as not from the county and his age obviously should be rounded down by nearest 5 years.

Merry
04-08-10, 11:05
This is yet another of those mements when I wish someone had transcribed 1841 occupations!

Margaret in Burton
04-08-10, 11:11
This is yet another of those mements when I wish someone had transcribed 1841 occupations!

I looked on FMP hoping I could search by occupation but no such luck.

Phoenix
04-08-10, 11:24
I wouldn't mind betting he's in London, or Manchester or some market town, as MS while he learns the trade.

Not that that's of any help!

I've had grocers darting to all sorts of unlikely places while they brushed up their skills.

Joy Dean
04-08-10, 12:01
My great-grandfather is John Newton! but he is from Buckinghamshire :)
In 1841 his surname was transcribed as Newborn.

Margaret in Burton
04-08-10, 12:16

I did a search for John New* born 1817 + / - 5 years.

Nothing jumps out in either Burton or Braceby

Merry
04-08-10, 12:49
I did a search for John *wton, but I only looked at the ones where the name wasn't Newton as I guessed Elizabeth would have looked at all of those (and there were rather a lot! lol)

ElizabethHerts
04-08-10, 14:01
Thanks, everyone, for looking.

Phoenix, I tend to agree with you that he is hiding somewhere larger. His elder brother William was a Butler and House Steward with aristocracy for many years, and he was in London on the 1841 Census.

OH's great grandmother Emily Newton was born in 1850, and then the family moved to London where John (and two of his brothers and a brother-in-law) became Licensed Victuallers and did quite well for themselves.

I don't think I'm destined to find him in 1841. I did google for trade registers for Burton on Trent for 1841, but he might not have been there and he would have been young so more than likely working for someone else.

ElizabethHerts
04-08-10, 14:02

:d
Joy, funnily enough I have an ancestor on my mother's side called NEWBOURN WOOD - also from Lincolnshire, though he moved down to Portsmouth. His first name is also mistranscribed!

Sabrina
04-08-10, 14:06
Do you think this is a possibility?

Living Birkenhead, Cheshire, HO107; Piece 126; Book: 9; Civil Parish: Birkenhead; County: Cheshire; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 23; Page: 41; Line: 22

J B Newton, aged 24, Clerk to a Tobacconist, Not born Cheshire

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8978&iid=CHSHO107_124_126-0447&fn=J+B&ln=Newton&st=r&ssrc=&pid=239608

ElizabethHerts
04-08-10, 14:17
[QUOTE=Sabrina;84310]Do you think this is a possibility?

Living Birkenhead, Cheshire, HO107; Piece 126; Book: 9; Civil Parish: Birkenhead; County: Cheshire; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 23; Page: 41; Line: 22

J B Newton, aged 24, Clerk to a Tobacconist, Not born Cheshire QUOTE]

Sabrina, sadly it's not him. He only had one Christian name.
Thanks for looking. :)

Margaret in Burton
04-08-10, 17:08
Thanks, everyone, for looking.

Phoenix, I tend to agree with you that he is hiding somewhere larger. His elder brother William was a Butler and House Steward with aristocracy for many years, and he was in London on the 1841 Census.

OH's great grandmother Emily Newton was born in 1850, and then the family moved to London where John (and two of his brothers and a brother-in-law) became Licensed Victuallers and did quite well for themselves.

I don't think I'm destined to find him in 1841. I did google for trade registers for Burton on Trent for 1841, but he might not have been there and he would have been young so more than likely working for someone else.

Aghhhhhhh

I've been in the library today to do a look up for another member.

I'm not sure I would have found anything though, as you say, he may have been working for someone else and the Burton Street Directories only list head of household. The library doesn't have too many of those anyway.

ElizabethHerts
04-08-10, 17:35
Aghhhhhhh

I've been in the library today to do a look up for another member.

I'm not sure I would have found anything though, as you say, he may have been working for someone else and the Burton Street Directories only list head of household. The library doesn't have too many of those anyway.

Marg, not to worry! I don't think he would have been in Burton for many years, and probably he worked for someone else and not on his own account.

I have renewed my research because recently Lichfield Record Office sent me three marriage allegations - one for John Newton and Ann, the other two for Ann's siblings. All three couples married by licence.

Sue from Southend
04-08-10, 18:13

You can use the occupation as a keyword in all the Census on The Genealogist website.

Whispering so they don't hear - there's no John Newton that's a grocer in Staffs or Lincs!