PDA

View Full Version : Q about death duties

Merry
03-08-10, 09:36
BK6 updated from this thread

Here is a quote from a distant cousin, written in middle age in 1932, about his ancestors:

"They had a daughter who married William Thompson of Marylebone. William was a painter and glazier who died in Bath 22nd May 1800 leaving his wife with considerable property. She died at Duchess Street, Portland Place London on 11th Dec 1802 owning a number of houses in that district. Her property was valued at £100,000."

I have seen two likely wils on the PCC site, except that the one for William (correct occupation) was proved in Feb 1800 so before his death! lol I was thinking maybe I won't need to get that one (in case it's the wrong one) as surely the names of their children (what I'm really after) will be in Mary's will, proved 20th Dec 1802.

I've never needed to investigate death duties before, but wondered if that was how the value of Mary's estate was known? I had a look at the death duty records on Docs Online on TNA site, but they don't include PCC records by the look of it. I'm a bit confused by FMP and don't have a sub anyway.

I know I'm just being nosy as to whether the estate was really worth that much, but still wondered if it's possible to find out?

Phoenix
03-08-10, 09:58
I think - you'd need to read it up - that death duties weren't originally on property, just chattels. Also, there were varying rates depending on the beneficiaries.

If people were wealthy, though, they should appear on TNA site at that period for death duties, whether or not will was proved in pcc. Or are you saying Docs Online have deliberately omitted them? (there were separate indexes for the various courts at that period, I think)

I need to look up some death duties on microfilm on Saturday. If you can wait that long, I can look up yours, and check the will.

Merry
03-08-10, 10:01
Docs online says it only has death duty records for wills proved through courts other than the PCC (country courts).

I did read the bit about when death duties would be levied and these two people seem to have died at the best time!! I still thought they wouldn't have slipped through the net though, so wondered if the PCC wills have death duty stuff hidden away elsewhere?

Merry
03-08-10, 10:08
I need to look up some death duties on microfilm on Saturday. If you can wait that long, I can look up yours, and check the will.

That's a very kind offer, Phoenix. Yes, I can certainly wait that long! lol Hpowever, please don't curtail your research to do that for me though - if you don't have time it doesn't matter at all. :)

kiterunner
03-08-10, 10:29
It should be on the Index to Death Duty Registers on FMP - you should only need 4 credits at most to find the entry, but you will almost certainly only need 1 credit. Go onto the "Births, Marriages and Deaths" section, and in the deaths bit there is Index to Death Duty Registers. Enter surname Thompson and year range 1802 - 1802, then go onto page 2 of the results and you will see:

CANTERBURY PREROGATIVE COURT
1802-1802 - ADMINISTRATIONS 2 images VIEW
1802-1802 - WILLS 4 images VIEW

As you know it was a PCC will, you only need to look through those 4 WILLS images, and it lets you select which of the 4 pages to view. As her will was proved 20th December, it will almost certainly be on the 4th page.

But the index entry won't give you very much information at all. I don't know exactly what it will tell you without looking at it, but sometimes you get the name and address of the executor and sometimes you get to see an amount of money. You also get the references to where the will is, i.e. folio etc.

Margaret in Burton
03-08-10, 12:26
Just done a screenshot for you. Doesn't tell you much at all.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/margharrison/MaryThompson-1.jpg

Merry
03-08-10, 12:35
Thanks Kate and Marg.

Marg, you say it doesn't tell me much, but it does tell me that it's definitely the right will because of the address.

Margaret in Burton
03-08-10, 12:41
Thanks Kate and Marg.

Marg, you say it doesn't tell me much, but it does tell me that it's definitely the right will because of the address.

Ooops didn't think of that. :D:D