PDA

View Full Version : Romance or Coincidence?

Phoenix
27-07-10, 16:48
Gillian kindly looked up Times Digital Archives for me.

On the same page (January 1845) was the court case of Hill v Kendal. Mr Kendal was an architect of Suffolk Place. His daughter had run up debts of £47, spent on kid gloves and artificial flowers, without the knowledge or approval of her father. These articles were not suitable to her age or degree and Mr Kendal argued that the tradesman should not have extended her such credit.

1851 finds one George Kendal in Hackney with his daughter Frances aged 23.
1861 finds George, with a new wife and two small HILL grandsons.

Freebmd shows Frances Charlotte Kendall married Henry Hill in 1855. Unfortunately, I cannot see that Henry was ever a tradesman:confused:

So, was it a romance, and she waited ten years to marry an infatuated young lover, working in some relation's shop? Or was it pure coincidence?

Kit
28-07-10, 05:16
What occupations do you have?

Maybe the father called him a tradesman as an insult rather than it being his real occupation.

Gert in Oz
28-07-10, 12:57
Romance, thats why she brought the gloves and flowers she didn`t need.

I`m a romantic at heart, my great grandfather William, was in the workhouse in 1841, while his sister Sarah was lodging with 3 sisters at grandads house, William married one of the sisters and i like to think his sister Sarah introduced them.

Nell
28-07-10, 22:15
Hill is quite a common surname.

Phoenix
29-07-10, 12:50
Hill is quite a common surname.

Spoil sport!

(But I fear you are right!)

Nell
29-07-10, 15:52
Sorry Phoenix, but you did ask!!!

maggie_4_7
29-07-10, 16:32
Well have you have found a marriage but was the Hill in the court case Henry Hill?

Phoenix
29-07-10, 19:04
Well have you have found a marriage but was the Hill in the court case Henry Hill?

Shush! That's the difficult bit! I can't remember which court it was, but it may have been a local one, rather than something at TNA. Even the case I was looking for - my blessed Priddens - doesn't state surnames.

It was unlikely to have been Henry himself bringing the case as he would have been a minor at the time, but he could have been a love-lorn shop assistant, though not working for Dad - as he was some sort of ag lab in Lincolnshire. Not a purveyor of fancy goods!