PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Ward, I cannot find her.

Gillie
27-07-10, 12:50
Please please can anyone help me? ;(
I have been looking for Elizabeth Ward for many months now, but are unable to find her in the 1841 Census.
I have her in all other Census'

Going by all the other Census,' Elizabeth was born in Hammersmith, Middlesex in abt 1835, her death was in Abingdon, Berks in 1894
Her marriage cert does not give me any clues except she states her father as being a 'Soldier' named 'William Little',I am unable to find anything out about him either. :confused:

She gave birth my G G Grandfather Charles William Ward dob June 1856, born Abingdon, Berkshire, I have his Birth Cert, his father is stated as being 'John Humphries'
Charles mother Elizabeth was not married to John Humphries, instead she married a 'John Prior' in May 1859 in the Parish of Hanney in Berkshire.
John was a labourer and Elizabeth a spinster.

As I said I can trace her on all Census' but cannot find her as a child in the 1841 Census.
I am hoping some kind soul will be able to track her down for me as I need to get her birth cert to be able to trace back further..

Many thanks for reading this, I appreciate your help very much.

Thank you.

ElizabethHerts
27-07-10, 13:23
Who was her father on her marriage certificate, GIllie?

WARD, Benjamin M 32 1809
WARD, Emma F 32 1809
WARD, Elizabeth F 8 1833 Middlesex
WARD, Danl M 7 1834 Middlesex
WARD, George M 1 1840 Middlesex

RG number:HO107 Piece:689 Book/Folio:11/6 Page:6

Orchard Place, Fulham County:
Middlesex

Gillie
27-07-10, 13:26
Elizabeth,
It states her father as being William Little, a Soldier, I am unable to find anything out about him so I think perhaps she fibbed about him.
None of her family appear to be witnesses,

Thank you

Phoenix
27-07-10, 17:21
Hmm

In 1851, the only Wards with birthplaces given as Hammersmith are:

Elizabeth
Daniel
George - and they are all lodgers or servants -

and Thomas b 1825, with children Benjamin & Amina.

Phoenix
27-07-10, 17:51
Interestingly, it looks as if the Benjamin Elizabeth found was born in Berks. Image for 1861 faint, but it looks like Sutton. He is born 1805 and still with Emma.

Phoenix
27-07-10, 17:54
Hmm

Sutton Courtenay, son of Benjamin & Elizabeth?

vallee
27-07-10, 17:59
there is a Elizabeth Ward born abt 1835 in 1841 living at Gloucester Place St Lukes Chelsea
H0107 688 12/41 31
parents Alfred and Elizabeth

Phoenix
27-07-10, 18:02
Sutton Courtenay is only 3 miles from Abingdon:D

But why say your father is William Little:confused:

vallee
27-07-10, 18:08
This could be her as she is living more or less in the same area in 1851
Class: HO107; Piece 737; Book: 15; Civil Parish: St John The Evangelist; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 17; Folio: 3; Page: 1; Line: 14; GSU roll: 438838

Gillie
27-07-10, 19:19
Thank you Elizabeth, Phoenix and Vallee, I am still not sure which Elizabeth is the correct one.
Sorry I've taken ages to answer, I've had dinner to do and my elderly mum is unwell atm and I had to go and see her.

I shall have to have a good look at them all, how would I know if I have the right Elizabeth?
I am worried i will make a big mistake and go back in the wrong direction.

Thanks again for all your help.

Phoenix
28-07-10, 12:43
Do you have access to Ancestry?
Benjamin had quite a few children. It would be worth looking at the other marriages, to see father's name, witnesses etc - and pursuing the families, to see whether any of them headed back in the Abingdon direction.

It seems a huge co-incidence if your Elizabeth heads for where Benjamin had his roots. If her mother had had an extra-marital relationship, it's a trifle bold to put it on a certificate - and it would seem odd to head for the area where your "father" was from.

Have you seen the actual marriage register? Sometimes vicars make a complete pig's ear of them. Is it possible that a widow on the same page is incorrectly recorded?

kiterunner
31-07-10, 10:46
I am hoping some kind soul will be able to track her down for me as I need to get her birth cert to be able to trace back further..

If she was born about 1835 then I'm sorry to say there will not be a birth certificate for you to get, because civil registration only started in 1837.

Can you post up details of the 1851 census entry that you have found her on, please?

Gillie
01-08-10, 12:53
Hi Pheonix and kite I'm sorry I've taken ages to get back, I haven't been on my PC much as its the weekend

phoenix, I haven't seen the actual marriage register, but on her marriage certificate to John Prior she doesn't have a job, it has a line through her occupation, and says both of them are 'off age' they both signed with a X obviously weren't able to write

I am still quite a novice at doing genealogy so didn't realise i couldn't get a birth cert.

1851 Elizabeth Ward, I thought this was her living as a servant in Grays Inn Lane, St Pancras.
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1495; Folio: 195; Page: 60; GSU roll: 87826-87827.

Thank you both for all your help.