PDA

View Full Version : Searching 1911 census

Joan of Archives
10-09-09, 22:29
I think I have lost the plot but having not looked at the 1911 for ages I cannot see how some people are managing to find families on there without having to open a page :rolleyes: Can anyone instruct me how to find families on there?

I am trying to work out who else was living with Beatrice Irons b 1876 born & living in Luton Beds.

Will check back in tomorrow.
Thanks!
:)

JayG
10-09-09, 22:32
HOUSEHOLD FUNNELL ARTHUR M 1845 66 Luton Bedfordshire
HOUSEHOLD FUNNELL SARAH F 1851 60 Luton Bedfordshire
HOUSEHOLD IRONS BEATRICE F 1876 35 Luton Bedfordshire
HOUSEHOLD IRONS CHARLES M 1898 13 Luton Bedfordshire
HOUSEHOLD IRONS SAMUEL M 1873 38 Luton Bedfordshire

Sorry can't reveal my sources ;)

Joan of Archives
10-09-09, 22:38
Ooo Jay that's fantastic! Thank you!

OK fair enough maybe some kind soul will take pity on me & give me a bit of advice lol!

:d

kiterunner
10-09-09, 22:47
Yes, go onto the "Full person search" and put in the same surname as the person you have found, i.e. Irons, then go down to "Other members of the household" and put in Beatrice Irons. And put Luton in the Residential Place so you don't get people from all over the country. That will give you the other Irons in the family.

It takes a bit longer to find any other people in the household - again, you fill in Luton, and put Beatrice Irons as "other members of household", but you have to click on "Show Advanced Fields", then you can put in each letter of the alphabet in turn in the surname field with "Names starting with" ticked. It takes quite a while to go through them all, though!

Merry
11-09-09, 07:09
then you can put in each letter of the alphabet in turn in the surname field with "Names starting with" ticked. It takes quite a while to go through them all, though!

You can make this a bit shorter by choosing the 'wildcard name' option for the surname field and then, rather than having 26 letters of the alphabet to enter, you can enter *a* then *e* then *i* then *o* then *u* and finally *y*, which should, in theory, pick up all possible surnames.

kiterunner
11-09-09, 07:20
Oh yes, that's true, I always forget that one. I suppose there's a chance of a surname being mistranscribed without a vowel, though.

Merry
11-09-09, 07:26
That's what I was thinking when I was typing that!

Joan of Archives
11-09-09, 16:15
Thanks for that. I can't get anyone else up using that wildcard thing though? ;(

Where am I going wrong?

kiterunner
11-09-09, 16:48
Did you remember to tick the "Wildcard Name" box for surname, Joan?

Jeanette in Yorkshire
11-09-09, 16:57
Did you also put the asterisks in?

Joan of Archives
11-09-09, 17:05
Did you also put the asterisks in?

:p Yes I did lol!!

I think I may have worked it out :o I thought you all meant to put Beatrice in the top bit so I put her in the other persons bit & the wildcard entry in the top bit & it worked lol!

Am onto it now :d

Jeanette in Yorkshire
11-09-09, 18:17
Well done Joanie! ;):p :d