PDA

View Full Version : Ettie Gertrude Rathbone

Muggins in Sussex
24-07-10, 13:24
I have found her birth in 1873 (Eccleshall Bierlow) - in 1881 she as at home with her parents, and 1891 she is a servant.

I have never been able to find her after that

Now I have seen this written about her
"Family lore says one of Sarah Jane's sisters married and went to the Klondike Gold Rush and was never heard from again. I think it must have been Ettie as she'd be the right age ..." (Sarah Jane was this Ettie's sister)

Any ideas anyone, please? - I am stuck again! :(

There is a marriage in 1899, but I don't know who to

Olde Crone
24-07-10, 13:45
She married James Daley or Joseph Evans.

EDIT - Joseph Evans according to Yorksbmd.

OC

Muggins in Sussex
24-07-10, 13:49
She married James Daley or Joseph Evans.

EDIT - Joseph Evans according to Yorksbmd.

OC

Thank you OC :)

Merry
24-07-10, 14:09
I've looked at transcripts of the Canadian 1901 and 1911 censuses but there's no sign of them under Evans in Yukon.

Muggins in Sussex
24-07-10, 14:23
Thanks for looking Merry :)

Maybe it's just yet another family myth :confused:

Nell
24-07-10, 14:49
The Goldrush was 1897-8. Perhaps Ettie and/or her future husband just talked about going rather than actually going. Evans isn't the best name to research!!!!! Another thought is that Ettie may have altered her first name, Ettie itself being an abbreviated name.

Muggins in Sussex
24-07-10, 15:06
Thanks Nell :) - another family mystery :confused: - if it wasn't her who went to the Klondyke goldrush, I wonder whether it was one of her siblings - there were at least 13 :d - just remembered as I write this that one of them reportedly became a Canadian Mountie! - I'll look into him further

Nell
24-07-10, 16:12
Joan - do you have any ordinary people who weren't name-changing, globe-trotting bigamists in your family? I only ask because I'm willing to trade a few ag labs who never moved from their parish boundaries!

Muggins in Sussex
24-07-10, 18:46
Joan - do you have any ordinary people who weren't name-changing, globe-trotting bigamists in your family? I only ask because I'm willing to trade a few ag labs who never moved from their parish boundaries!

Some, Nell! :( - Don't suppose you want to swap one of your ag labs for HW Wicks?? :d

Mary from Italy
24-07-10, 22:32
Might be worth looking at the Canadian records here; they include military records, not sure about Mounties:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/index-e.html

There are some Canadian censuses here:

http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

Muggins in Sussex
25-07-10, 08:04
Thank you Mary - I'll have a look

Jenoco
25-07-10, 19:28
I did look for a death or marriage in British Columbia (next province to the Yukon) but couldn't find anything under "Ettie".

Muggins in Sussex
26-07-10, 05:19
Thank you for looking, Jenny :)