PDA

View Full Version : 1871 help, please

samesizedfeet
21-07-10, 21:56
Richard Henry (Edward William) Marsh married Julia Augusta Martin in Camden in 1856

Children:

Julia Georgiana Marsh c 1857 in Islington

Richard Henry Marsh c 1859 Islington

Richard senior emigrated to the States in 1867 abandoning his family and never returned.

they show up on the 1881 census in Lewisham living with Julia Martin's brother Thomas.

Julia has managed to have another child in around 1869 called Charles Marsh.

i can't see them at all in 1871 census to see if there is perhaps a possible father on teh scene.

Very grateful for any help

Z

kiterunner
21-07-10, 22:41
Hmmm, I wonder whether this is a coincidence? Charles on the 1881 is 11 born Deptford, and there is a baptism on ancestry for Charles Maurice Marsh, 15th May 1870, St Paul, Deptford, parents William and Julia of 9 Mary Ann's Buildings, occupation Ship Carpenter.

kiterunner
21-07-10, 22:51
I'm not having any luck looking for them in 1871 though. Was Richard Henry a ship's carpenter?

samesizedfeet
22-07-10, 00:02
Sorry for taking while to reply (was travelling home from work).

Richard Henry senior was a scenic artist as in painting sceneries for the theatre (rather than painting pictures of fields).

These are a twig but out of all my theatrical lines this is the only one I have a contact on so am looking into it a bit more.

samesizedfeet
22-07-10, 00:10
Aaaargh - in 1891 he's changed his birthplace to Highgate.

That doesn't help at all

kiterunner
22-07-10, 08:26
I was going to search for William Marsh, ship carpenter, on the 1871 census on findmypast, but you can't search by occupation on that one. Bother! But anyway, I suspect that Charles Maurice Marsh is the same Charles, and his father was William something, a ship's carpenter, but since his birth is registered under Marsh only, and his baptism gives his father's name as William Marsh, I don't suppose his birth certificate would help.

Can't see a likely family in 1871 but I haven't tried looking for Mary Ann's Buildings, Deptford, yet.